Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [updated: February 22, 2015]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [updated: February 22, 2015]

Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR)

Chapter One: Prologue, part 1

“Don’t let anyone tell you that there is not enough food in Ireland,” my father said to me. “In the harbour, we used to load our beef, cheese, pork and butter onto English ships to feed their soldiers and sailors – as well as their slave-owners on the sugar islands. It was steady work and my trading company was paid well for it. But now I feel differently.” My father’s face dropped; his shame was obvious. “When you see hungry people, don’t forget that others are taking our food.”

Our family had a good home, a large house, once. My father was a successful merchant and we could afford a comfortable life. I remember my tenth birthday, when I walked down the hill towards home. I saw bright light coming from every window. For a second, I thought that every room must be full of candles and my family must have planned a grand celebration. Then I smelled the smoke, heard the crash of collapsing timbers and looked up. Part of the roof had fallen in. My home was burning. Where were my mother and father and my brothers and sisters?

To tell you why they burned our home, I’ll need to take you back a bit. My family have been rebels for a long time. In my grandfather’s time, the English Parliament led a rising against their King, Charles I. People here were afraid. We thought that their Parliamentary army was coming to Ireland. My grandfather was one of the leaders of the Rebellion in 1641 and he was one of the founders of the Catholic Confederation in the following year. For seven years, the Confederation ran Ireland: the government of Ireland was in Irish hands. The Confederation made some mistakes, I admit. Perhaps their biggest error was to side with King Charles I. Not everyone agreed with that – we were divided. After the English rebels executed their king, they sent Oliver Cromwell and his ironsides to Ireland in 1649. It was easier for Cromwell to defeat a divided nation. You know why Cromwell is the most hated man in Ireland, don’t you?

After killing several thousand people at Drogheda in 1649, Cromwell wrote “I am persuaded that this is a righteous judgment of God upon these barbarous wretches”. Can you believe it? When Cromwell’s ironsides burned Wexford, as well as killing our soldiers, they killed more than one and a half thousand ordinary people. “I thought that Cromwell ordered his soldiers not to harm the people. Did Cromwell’s soldiers get into any kind of trouble for all that killing?” I asked my father. My father replied “Don’t be a fool, Jonathan.”

After Cromwell left for England, his people decided to take revenge for the Confederation’s temerity to choose the wrong side of their civil war. They punished us with mass evictions and deportations to the English colonies. But that’s not why the English burned our home – these events happened in my grandfather’s time. The burning of our house came later. Would you like to hear about that? You’ll have another drink? Ah, of course you will!

Mods

Empire Total Factions, Additional Units Mod optional graphics pack (for improved unit and ship textures), adiuvat’s Blue Skies mod; Bran Mac Born's Preference Script Setting for better Battle AI Behavior; (for some images) Bran Mac Born's NTW Effects for ETW mod; Sir Digby Chicken Caesar's Irish Rebels Line Infantry texture, Geronimo2006's Historical Marines, Pdguru's Briney Ships Mod, Shokh’s Shokh Hates Sieges, Lordsith’s Ceramics factory mod and Primergy's Pikeman Animation Fix. For chapters 1 to 13, I used the ‘work in progress’ of v1.05 Early American Revolution v1.05 and Fourth Rate Frigate Unlock (the 'later' Fourth Rate Hébé version). From chapter 14 onwards, the 'work in progress' v1.05 of Early American Revolution has been replaced with the 'complete' version of v1.05. Following IneptCmdr's advice, I will also use p.jakub88's 'no floating flags in ETW' mod from chapter 14 onwards.

Are you considering writing your first Empire: Total War AAR (or already writing your first ETW AAR)?

For screenshots, I use the Developers Battle Camera mod (to be able to zoom in and out much further) and Fraps to take pictures (you can download fraps for free). Before I start the game, I start Fraps. When playing the game, I press f10 every time I want a picture. Fraps saves the pictures in C:/Fraps/Screenshots. I use Paint to open and crop the pictures and to save them in jpeg format. I then visit tinypic.com to upload each picture. When I have uploaded the picture, tinypic.com provides a code which I copy and paste into my AAR chapter - so that, when the chapter appears on the screen, the picture appears where I put the code.

If using screenshots is a new thing for you, I suggest saving replays after each battle - in the box headed 'Heroic Victory', before you click the tick, select the camera icon on the right hand side of the box. When you start the game, you can view a replay by selecting the 'Multiplayer' option, then 'Local Network', then (on the bottom right hand corner) 'View Replays'. Obviously, this allows you to concentrate on fighting the battles without having the take photos at the same time. Watching replays, I sometimes notice things which I didn't see when I played the battle, which can provide extra ideas for your story.

If anyone who hasn't written an AAR is considering writing your first one, then I recommend the Critic's Quill as a source of ideas and inspiration.

If you would like to attract readers to your AAR, you could post a short summary or teaser and a link on the Advertising Board. After you have posted a few chapters, you might want to enter the Monthly AAR Competition (even when you don't win, this can bring more people to look at your story.)

If you would like to add a link to your AAR in your signature (or anywhere else, e.g. on the Advertising Board), I explain how in the spoiler.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

To put the name of your AAR and the url together so that the name of your AAR becomes a link, you would do this:-
    - Type the name of the AAR
    - Copy and paste the url of your AAR
    - Highlight the text where you have written the name of the AAR
    - Looking in the bar (immediately above the box where you are typing) which includes the letters B, I and U (which, of course, makes text bold, italic or underlined); looking along that bar, do you see the blue circle (in between the yellow smiling face and the other blue circle with the red cross) - select that blue circle
    - in the box which appears, paste the url in the box which is labelled URL and click 'OK'

The name of your AAR should now be a link to your AAR. (If you want to do this in your signature, select 'My Account' from the top right hand side of the Total War Center web page and then select 'Edit Signature' from the left hand side of the page which appears.)

Chapters

Chapter One: Prologue, part 1
    Chapter Two: Prologue, part 2
    Chapter Three
    Chapter Four
    Chapter Five
    Chapter Six
    Chapter Seven
    Chapter Eight
    Chapter Nine
    Chapter Ten
    Chapter Eleven
    Chapter Twelve
    Chapter Thirteen
    Chapter Fourteen
    Chapter Fifteen
    Chapter Sixteen
    Chapter Seventeen
    Chapter Eighteen
    Chapter Nineteen
    Chapter Twenty
    Chapter Twenty-one
    Chapter Twenty-two

Comments, suggestions and feedback are welcome - feel free to post them on this thread.

Links to historical maps

Herman Moll's map of Great Britain and Ireland, 1736

Robert Morden's map of Ireland, 1695

Vaugondy map of Ireland, 1748

List of characters (contains spoilers - I suggest not reading the list before you've seen the first few chapters)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mary Barber, writer

Jonathan Connolly, Irish rebel

Sir John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough and English general

Dearbhla Collins, merchant trader

Michael Curran, naval officer

Daniel Defoe, British writer and spy

Ciarán Dempsey, non-commissioned officer in the New Ross militia, Ireland

Douglas Hogan, naval officer

Nahum Kelly, officer in the New Ross militia, Ireland

Dermid Kinnard, Irish rebel

Eoghan MacDónaill, Irish rebel

Callum Mackinnon, Scottish rebel

Charles Mackinnon, Scottish rebel

Richard Pue, coffee-house owner and newspaper editor

William Standish, English ambassador

Other AARs by the same writer

The Lion and the Eagle (Venice AAR)
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 22, 2015 at 06:45 AM.

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR)

Nice start Alwyn, keep it up!

Chapter Two: Prologue, part 2

Another chance for Ireland came when the English overthrew another king, King James II, in 1688. The English Parliament invited William of Orange and his wife Mary to take the throne from King James. King James had dispensed with a law that excluded Catholics from commanding regiments; he allowed Catholics to occupy high offices of State. The English Parliament didn’t like that one bit. They invited King James’ son-in-law, William of Orange and his wife Mary, to take over. They called it the Glorious Revolution.

I’ve heard that in England they sometimes call it a ‘bloodless revolution’. Don’t believe that for a minute. It was bloodless in England, maybe. King James fled to Paris instead of fighting William’s army in England. When King James came to Ireland to lead a rising against the regime of William and Mary, blood was shed alright. Of course, King William wasn’t going to let Ireland slip from his fingers without a fight. King William brought an army of Englishmen and Scotsmen to Ireland. His army met the force of King James thirty miles from Dublin on the River Boyne in June 1690. The day before the battle, King William rode to have a look at the ford where his troops would cross the river, when a lucky shot from a cannon-ball killed him. Sometimes I wonder, if the cannon-ball had missed or just wounded the king, then would history have unfolded differently?

The death of their new king took the heart out of their army. The Englishmen and Scotsmen were fighting against the army of King James, who had been their rightful king just a year or two before. In the heat of battle, King James lost his nerve and ran. His sudden departure cost him any chance of ruling Ireland. King William’s army took Dublin in the end, but our soldiers disappeared into the back-streets of the towns and the woods of the countryside. They would emerge to fight a different kind of war.

When an English officer ordered his men to hang my father, it was because my father had been smuggling Spanish muskets into Ireland through the harbour and putting those guns into Irish hands. That’s when they burned our house. With Spanish muskets came Spanish friends, who taught us a new word: guerrilla. Our guerrilla fighters used their knowledge of the land to strike the enemy and then melt into the countryside. The English had to withdraw many of their soldiers from Ireland to put down Jacobite uprisings in Scotland and to supply troops for a war against France in the Netherlands. I think that the English realised that they had to choose whether to keep Scotland or Ireland – they could not hold both. King William’s death left his wife, Queen Mary, reigning alone until smallpox carried her off in 1694. That left Queen Anne on the English throne. She was only 29 years old when she took the English throne and she was often ill, so she was in no fit state to organise an English invasion of Ireland.
    But Ireland's freedom was far from guaranteed; we had a long way to go.

[Historical note: in our history, King William was injured, not killed, by a cannon ball on the day before the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. This AAR explores what might have happened if he had been killed, not injured, by that cannon ball.]

(Thank you, Finn!)
    Last edited by Alwyn; October 05, 2014 at 06:01 AM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Looking good, Alwyn (sounds like more of a Cymraeg name to me, than Irish ), and I look forward to reading more...you rebel you.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of E:TW? A lot of people consider it broken, what do you think? Aaalso, why no other AAR's, as in none set in a different time period?

Sorry for all the questions, just interested is all.

You're right, of course - the name Alwyn is Welsh not Irish - and thank you! Yes, I like playing rebels fighting for their liberty - I loved playing The Road to Independence and missed that feeling in the ordinary Grand Campaign.

Yes, sadly there are lots of flaws in E:TW ... and yet, there's so much to explore and enjoy both in the game and the 18th century setting. For me, a good combination of mods can make the game very satisfying to play, despite its shortcomings. [Edit to add] I imagine that, when people experience E:TW as broken, their reasons would tend to include the following: (a) sieges are repetitive (Shokh Hates Sieges dramatically reduces sieges), (b) Ottoman turn lag and save game corruption (when using Empire Total Factions, I haven't experienced either problem so far), (c) the game's AI isn't clever or challenging enough (Empire Total Factions includes improved AI - it's not perfect but it's a definite improvement) and (d) heavy rain is frustrating because you cannot see your units (adiuvat's Blue Skes mod fixes this). Other people may have different objections to the vanilla game, of course (or prefer different solutions - there are plenty of good mods).

Why no AARs in other time periods? For the moment, it's because I'm enjoying E:TW so much. I'd like to try Shogun II and Rome II, but suspect I'd need a faster computer. I'm tempted by Medieval II (especially with the Lord of the Rings mod; I noticed your Haradrim AAR).
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 23, 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Chapter Three

“I’m glad that you could join me, Jonathan. This would have been much harder on my own. You remembered to bring a sharp knife? Good. That’s right, step up and sit beside me. Don’t mind the horse, he won’t bite. It’s incredible how an adventure can start with a simple journey on a cart. There’s a blanket behind you if you get cold.”

“I’m guessing that you would like to know where we’re going. We’re heading into town to visit the armoury. You see, the Society has noticed that the King’s men have got muskets, while most of us don’t. Does that seem fair to you? If we’re going to free Ireland from that fool who proclaimed himself High King of Ireland after the English gave up and left, we’ll need some guns of our own. He’s no more King of Ireland than this horse is!”

“You’re no fool. You understand that the soldiers guarding the armoury aren’t going to hand over the guns if we walk up and ask them nicely. Some of my friends visited the guards earlier and gave them a little gift, a keg of strong ale. Well, mostly ale.” Eoghan MacDónaill smiled. “There might be just a bit of Diarmuid's poitín in there to – ah - help it along a little. I’m hoping that the soldiers won’t be in a fit state to put up much resistance. Don’t forget that we’re only going after the soldiers. If anyone is with them – if they invited women into the armoury to share their beer – we’re to leave them alone. You understand why, don’t you? Since that fool of a King in Dublin brought in all of the new taxes, it’s easier to recruit people to our side. Starving his own people, he is now. But to win we have to stay united. Killing innocents would turn people against us.”

“What’s that? Aye, I agree – it'll be fine indeed to get rid of this damn King and his impossible demands for all of our hard-earned money. Better than you think, lad. A lot of people say he’s just got greedy. That he likes the soft life he's got now he's calling himself High King. But some of us know different. That fool is planning to pay the English a fortune so that they won’t invade Ireland. But if the King in Dublin pays off the English this year, those bullies’ll demand the same pay-off next year, and more money the year after that. If we’re going to live like that, we might as well invite the Queen of England to rule over us and stop pretending to be a different country.”

“There’s the armoury, up ahead on the left. We’ll stop the cart next to the guard on the door. You’ll ask him for directions to the ale-house and I’ll do the rest. That’s when our friends who are hiding in the house across the street will join us. We’ll deal with the soldiers inside and load the muskets and gunpowder onto the cart. If all goes to plan, we’ll be out of here before the sun rises.”

[If you’re curious about poitín: link]
    Last edited by Alwyn; December 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Jesus reading this really put's me in the mood. Great work keep it up
    Last edited by PhilipO'Hayda; December 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Thank you, PhilipO'Hayda!

Chapter Four

The New Ross militia company trudged through the night on the muddy roads. By the time they drew near to home, the sun was rising and the men were grumbling about their wet, sore feet. Just outside the town, two men leaning on a wall by the road saw the column approach, and turned and hared off into the town. “After them! Run, lads!”

After the first attacks on town armouries, Captain Kelly had been ordered to take his men to Waterford to investigate. Mind you, as he'd said at the time, he wasn't quite sure how taking the militia out of New Ross, which still had an armoury needing protection, was a good idea. Once in Waterford, with very little to do, the captain started to hope he would soon find a good excuse to take his men back home. He'd taken his map and consulted Sergeant Dempsey: “So, first, they attacked the armoury at Dungarvan and then Waterford - going eastward along the south coast, and staying by the coast. The roads are bad at the best of times… and after the fierce weather we’ve had in the last few weeks, the mud and muck would slow anyone down. You'd think we'd have caught some of them.”

“If I were them, I'd be using a boat,” suggested the sergeant. “Some of the rebels might easily be fishermen.”

“Ah! And then using a boat to move the stolen muskets out of the area. Yes, that makes sense.” Kelly slammed his hand down on the map in frustration. “If only the King in Dublin had any sort of navy - even just one sloop - this would be so much easier.” He glared at the map. “If they’re using a boat, then they’ll likely keep attacking armouries in places close to the sea. They’ll probably hit New Ross or Wexford next...” He'd found more than an excuse; he had a good reason to leave. “We're more use in New Ross than here. We’ll march overnight. And since the attacks have both happened around dawn, if they try anything tonight, we’ll catch them in the attempt - or at least as they try to escape.”

The fleeing men had had a good headstart, but the militia knew the town. There was never any chance of escape. None too gently, the fugitives were hauled to the armoury. “It’s just like the others, sir. The guards are dead and the muskets and powder have been taken.”

“Did anyone see them leave, sergeant?”

“It seems they took the guns in a cart and headed out of town.”

“Right. It’s time for me to have a word with our prisoners.”

The captured rebels were on their knees. Their bruised, puffy faces showed that their captors had already left their mark.

“Where have your friends in the cart gone?”

There was no reply.

“Where are the muskets being taken?”

The prisoners stared at the floor. Captain Kelly glanced at Dempsey. Dempsey's musket-butt struck, and one of the prisoners collapsed in pain.

“Who is the leader of the rebels in this area? Answer me!”

The prisoner spat out blood and a broken tooth, “Rory O’Moore.”

“Very funny. One of the leaders of the 1641 Rebellion has come back from the dead, has he? Sergeant...” The sergeant stepped forward, gripping his musket like a club.

“You don’t understand. That’s what people call him. We don’t use real names.”

The other prisoner felt the cold touch of a pistol against the side of his head.

“You’d better start being more helpful now, or your friend here dies.”

The other prisoner whispered “Don’t tell them anything, no matter what happ-.” The sound of the pistol shot was deafening in the little room.

“To hell with you, lackeys of the false king! Ireland forever!”

The sergeant swung his musket, hard. The prisoner collapsed. Dempsey bent over him, then stood again. “He’s dead, sir.”

Captain Kelly turned away. “This isn’t working.”

“I’m sorry, sir. Next time, I won’t hit the prisoner so hard.”

“No, sergeant, I meant this whole business. We’re going about this the wrong way.”

“The wrong way, sir?”

“Chasing the rebels across the country like this. We’re always two steps behind them. We need to get someone inside their organisation. I’ll do it myself – I need to join them, so that we will know who they really are and what their plans are. If they’re planning a rising against the King, Dublin must be warned.”

“But, sir, how will you find them, to join them?”

“It’s simple, sergeant. I’m not from this area, so no-one knows my face. I’ll ask around until I find someone who can lead me to Rory O‘Moore.”
    Last edited by Alwyn; October 17, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [updated October 26, 2014]

Chapter Five

They were exactly where we thought they would be. They were marching north on the road to the port town of Oban on Scotland's west coast. They walked ahead of a horse and cart. That was how they were carrying the chest with the pay for the English garrison at Fort William. As the bright May sunshine burned away the morning mist, we saw the backs of their red coats. They saw us walking towards them, eventually. Our lads started calling out cheerful greetings to the soldiers; cries of “Guid morning!”, “Awright?” and “How are ye?” filled the air.

The English soldiers could have stood their ground. They could have followed their training and formed a line. That would have been fine with us. Instead they started to run, the cowardly scunners. That was okay with us, too. You see, they didn’t know that they were only running from half of our men. As they ran along the road, leaving their cart behind, they rapidly approached a line of trees. They were quite surprised when more of our lads burst from the wood. That’s when they panicked, caught between swordsmen on both sides. It’s a terrible thing to be surrounded by men who mean you harm.

Soon we had taken possession of the pay chest and acquired some new muskets into the bargain. As we returned to the fishing boats and prepared to return to our camp on the Isle of Mull, we were in high spirits.

The men waded through the shallows, holding their muskets and cartridge pouches carefully above even the highest waves, and headed for the beach. After some discussion, and looking around for landmarks to guide them, they straggled off towards the north behind Eoghan MacDónaill, the only man who had visited Mull before.

We were sitting down around the fire, inspecting our new muskets and looking forward to a fine evening of celebration, when a fisherman ran into our camp. He keeps an eye out for us, in case English soldiers ever manage to follow us back to our camp. He reported that armed strangers had arrived in a fishing boat and were coming ashore. They seemed to have been looking warily around them, as if expecting enemies.

Well, we didn't want to leave the warmth of the fire for a fight, not even one with the English, but what could we do? There's a good spot along the path to the beach - in a wood on a small hill overlooking a stream, where the track turns a corner to follow the edge of the hill. We could see the strangers approaching, holding their muskets. Well, this time we had muskets too.

We levelled our muskets, ready to fire. We were not particularly surprised that the men seemed to think they were safe – we knew we were well hidden. What we didn’t expect was the singing. Loud, boisterous singing. Not in English, though. Parts of it sounded almost as if these men were singing our own language. Well, that didn't seem like the English, so I signalled for our men to hold their fire. As the strangers drew nearer, I could hear two of them talking.

“What are we doing here? I thought that we were going to use these muskets to fight the English and their friend, the King in Dublin.”

“We are lad, we are. We’ve got to think ahead. We need allies.”

“The French-“

“Yes, I know. The French have fought the English for generations. But, if our rising failed, the French could go back to their comfortable houses in France and leave us to be hanged. We need allies who are committed, like us. That’s why we’re looking for the folk of clan Mackinnon.”

That’s when I stood up and walked towards the strangers.

“Did I hear you right? You’re looking for the Mackinnons?”

“Where did you come- ... never mind. Yes, that we are. Can you take us to them?”

Not a one of them even had the wit to raise his musket, and the rest of the strangers were still trailing slowly up the path to join the leaders I'd intercepted.

“You’ve found them. I’m Charles Mackinnon. Who are you, and what do you want with us?”

“My name's Eoghan MacDónaill, and this argumentative lad is Jonathan Connolly. You’ll already have realised that we’re all over from Ireland and that we’re here to talk with you about our common enemy. We brought muskets for you, but I see you've already acquired some of your own.”

The conversation around the campfire went on long into the night and continued the next day. The Irishmen demonstrated the loading and firing of the muskets which they had taken from an armoury in Ireland. They were firing their muskets at old barrels, hoping to hit empty bottles which rested on top. I can't say it was an impressive demonstration.

“You’re a rabble! You had no idea we were waiting for you on the path yesterday, you had no clue what to do even when you saw us, and the way you handle your guns is clumsy, slow and undisciplined. Even if, by some miracle, you defeat the King in Dublin, the English army will leave you for dead.”

“Can you do better?” asked Jonathan Connolly.

My nephew Callum, only sixteen, and the youngest man with us at the camp, stepped forward without hesitation and picked up a musket. He took the end of the paper cartridge off with his teeth and spat it out. He pulled the hammer back to half-cock in a smooth, practised motion, pouring a bit of powder into the priming pan. He put the butt of the musket against the calf of his left leg, poured the rest of the powder down the barrel of the musket and rammed the cartridge down. He removed the rammer and brought the musket up smartly, pulling the lever to full-cock. He felt the familiar pressure of the butt of the musket against his right shoulder. He aimed and fired, seeing with satisfaction that his shot had hit the mark as a bottle abruptly shattered.

“The English soldiers practice this every day until they can do it in their sleep. Your musketry needs a lot of work.”

“Will you help us to improve?” asked Jonathan.

"Aye, I will." Suddenly, I realised I liked the belligerent young Irishman, “And together we will instruct your friends until they are ready to fight trained English soldiers.”
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 23, 2014 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [updated October 26, 2014]

Chapter Six

“You’re going to ask around until someone can tell you where Rory O’Moore is?” The sergeant looked at the captain incredulously. “If you don’t mind me saying so, sir, it sounds as if you’re just as likely to get yourself killed as to join the rebels.”

Captain Kelly rubbed his red eyes and tried to organise his tired mind. “Damn it, Dempsey, those rebels are resourceful and dangerous. Look how easily they defeated the conscripts who were guarding this armoury. And each time they raid an armoury they get stronger. They must be stopped, and stopped soon.”

“Sure, sir, I'm not saying we should do nothing. I'm just saying I think maybe we should try to have a plan where we don't get killed till after we have some information. And I should maybe go with you, to watch your back.”

“All right, all right. I’ll use a false name. I’ll say I'm a farm labourer who heard about the rebels and ran away. I’ll pretend to be a naive, starry-eyed idealist like those blasted rebels.”

“Well, we could do that, sir. Mind, now, I think if I were the rebels, I'd be looking out for people who are pretending to join them. Me, I'm nothing but a peasant, they'll not look twice at me, but you, sir, you have a bit of an educated look about you. You've never been a real farm labourer, have you? Shall you be able to tell a convincing story when people ask you about your life, do you think? It'll need to fit with my story, too... and, well, if we slip up...”

“...then we’re dead. I see what your point, sergeant. What shall we do, then?”

“We could use our own names, sir, and tell the truth as much as possible.”

“I suppose ... yes, we could say that we are joining them simply because we think that they will win.”

“Should we tell them that we are deserters from the militia, sir? That would explain why we’re on their side. You could even order some of the boys from our company to chase us into the woods and search for us.”

“But if the militia are searching for us, then the rebels could decide that we were too much of a liability. I’ll inform the Colonel of what we’re doing and seek his permission. If anyone asks, my uncle's been injured in a rebel attack. The Colonel has given me permission to help him run his business till he's recovered, provided I take you with me and we raise a new militia company there. People will understand that, everyone needs someone to watch their back in these rebellious times.”

Two nights later, Captain Kelly and Sergeant Dempsey were in a remote farmhouse, taking an oath to fight for a free Ireland. Since they told the truth, mostly, their lies slipped by undetected. They were sent, with other volunteers, to a rebel camp in the woods near the town of Killarney, in the south west of Ireland.

They were not the first deserters to join the rebels. The rebels were eager to recruit men who could train farm-boys, apprentice smiths and dock labourers in musketry. The camp was well supplied with muskets from armouries all over Ireland. Through the summer, Kelly and Dempsey kept their heads down, working hard to train the recruits.

When the dark green leaves of late summer gave way to the yellow and brown of autumn, Kelly and Dempsey were given other tasks to do, carrying messages and keeping watch on the King’s militia. Soon they were escorting new recruits to the rebel camp. On outward journeys from the camp, they took the opportunity to secretly inform the King’s soldiers of the rebel plans.

One early winter’s evening, as the low sun set, Father Dolan hurried along a track through a wood as he had done before, carrying messages for the rebels. This time was different. Two men he didn't know seemed to appear from nowhere. They had approached the priest from behind him, so that he could not see them coming. “Why are you in such a hurry, Father?” asked one of the strangers. “I am visiting a sick old man” replied Father Dolan. “Lying is a terrible sin, especially for a man of the Church, wouldn’t you say?” said one of the strangers to the other, drawing a large knife from beneath his cloak. Soon, Kelly and Dempsey were walking on, carrying the priest’s bag of rebel messages. Behind them, the priest sank to his knees, warm blood soaking through his clothes, his cries for help unheard.

On the day of the first snowfall, a cart pulled up outside a town armoury. Four rebels approached the guard at the door. Suddenly, soldiers appeared at every window, muskets raised. More soldiers ran from a nearby alley to surround the rebels. As the rebels tried to run, they were easy targets for the soldiers’ muskets. Flakes of snow drifted lazily onto their fallen bodies. Kelly and Dempsey emerged from the armoury, checked whether any of the rebels was still alive and searched their bodies.

When the first spring flowers brought colour back into the landscape, a group of rebel recruits followed their leader down a track past old, abandoned farm buildings. The first volley fired by the militia waiting in ambush took the lives of a third of them; the remainder ran but did not get very far. Kelly and Dempsey watched from a barn as the terrified survivors were rounded up.

Early on a summer’s morning, a militia officer peered through his telescope at the rebels hiding in the woods. His men formed a line, readying their muskets to attack. The message from the spies had been accurate; the militia had found the main rebel camp in the south west of Ireland. Soon, scattered groups of rebels were fleeing the burning camp.

Late on a summer’s evening, on top of a hill near Lough Neagh in the north of Ireland, a man lit a signal fire. He watched until he could see fires lighting up in the distance. Soon, signal fires would be lit across Ireland. Before, the rebellion had worked in secret; now they would move openly. It was time to fight, before all of them were found and killed. Rebels gathered at a camp on the shores of Lough Neagh.

Kelly and Dempsey saw the signal fires and knew what they meant. They sent a message to the King in Dublin. Soon a regiment of the King’s soldiers was marching through the east coast port town of Drogheda, on their way to Lough Neagh.

The rising was beginning at last. But would the rebellion be destroyed before it could begin?
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 07, 2014 at 05:49 AM.

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [updated November 7, 2014]

Chapter Seven

We arrived in Belfast harbour to see a signal fire burning on a hill. “The English have some good ideas, at least. Didn’t they use signal fires to warn of the approach of the armada from Spain over a hundred years ago?”

“That they did, young Jonathan” replied Eoghan MacDónaill. “King Philip of Spain believed that his fleet was invincible.” He looked deep in thought; we stood, watching the signal fire blazing against the darkness around it. We had waited so long for this moment. “We’ll stay here tonight, lads, and leave for Lough Neagh at first light tomorrow.”

A day's walk later, we arrived at the rebel camp at Lough Neagh, and MacDónaill was immediately summoned to a meeting of the leaders of the rebellion. He took me along, saying two heads were better than one for remembering details. As we walked into the meeting the leaders were talking about the attacks by the King’s militia on our camps.

“How many of us are left?” asked MacDónaill.

“The destruction of our camp near Killarney cost us many lives. We have fewer muskets than we hoped we would have by now.”

“How many?” insisted MacDónaill.

“We have enough men to fill six regiments. But two-thirds of our men don’t have a musket to call their own. We can field four regiments of pikemen and two regiments of musketeers. And there's another thing. The King’s men conscripted a new regiment, the King’s Regiment, during the winter. The best of the King’s militia were told to join them and they trained every day, not like the militia. The King’s Regiment are marching here and they should reach us this morning.”

“This morning?” I asked, “We need to get moving, don’t we? So we will be ready to fight them?”

I’ll never forget how the leader of the rebel army smiled at that moment. He said, “The men of the conscript regiment have families. They know how the King’s brutal taxes have left his people starving. Most of their officers realise the King’s strategy of bribing the English not to invade Ireland won’t work. The King’s Regiment are marching to join us, not to fight us!” His smile grew wider. “Their colonel doesn’t know that. Yet. He’ll find out soon enough when his regiments gets here. So I think we'll just stay here and wait for them to come to us. We don’t want to spoil the surprise for the good colonel, do we now?”

The next day, our seven regiments marched south from our camp at Lough Neagh. We marched openly on the road, no more hiding for us, even though we didn’t know how many of the King’s men we would face or where we would meet them. We had no cavalry, but groups of men scouted ahead, keeping a watchful eye for an ambush.

We marched for a hundred miles, weary but full of anticipation and hope. I tried not to show the apprehension I felt about the fight ahead. By the afternoon of the seventh day we could see the roofs of Dublin on the horizon. The King’s militia were marching out to form a long line across the road towards the city. These were the men who had carried out the King’s orders to oppress Ireland’s people and who had killed many members of our rebellion.

My men and I, who had trained in Scotland with the Mackinnons, joined the King’s Regiment for the fight. MacDónaill took the place of the colonel who had led the regiment from Dublin. Many of the men of the King’s Regiment – now calling themselves “MacDónaill's Volunteers” - were from families who had known and trusted the MacDónaills for generations. With their new commander, the regiment marched with their heads held high, like strong-hearted men, heroes even, not like men forced to fight. Leading the regiment was like coming home for Eoghan MacDónaill, I think.

Our leaders were not fools. They based our plan on the knowledge that our enemy were trained to stand and fight in a line. Our two regiments of musketeers approached them openly, marching slowly towards them. That way, the King’s militia would stay where they were, exactly where we wanted them to be. On the left of our musketeers were four regiments of pikemen, hiding in the woods and waiting for the signal to move to outflank the enemy line on our left.

I was with MacDónaill’s Volunteers, off to the right of our two musketeer regiments. Our first task was to march around to the rear of the enemy line. We hoped that the enemy, facing two regiments of musketeers ahead of them and our pikemen on their right, would turn to face the pikemen. If they did that, then MacDónaill’s Volunteers would strike them in the rear. As I walked, I thought of the words of Charles Mackinnon, telling us how his brave Scottish swordsmen defeated English redcoats: it is a terrible thing to be surrounded by men who mean you harm.

As our two regiments of musketeers turned left, to march directly towards the waiting enemies, we headed to our right, through the woods. I didn’t envy our musketeers. They would have to stand and endure the worst of the enemy's musket fire.

As we marched, we heard the crackle of a musket volley. Straining to listen over the sounds of our own feet, and those of the battle, we heard the shout of the pikemen as they charged from their hiding places in the woods, outflanking the enemy on the far side of the long line of King’s men. Then we broke out of the woodland, and could see the plan had worked – for the moment. As we had hoped, two of the King’s militia regiments had turned to their right to face our pikemen. We were approaching the left flank of the remaining regiment from behind them. As we formed our line, readying our muskets, we could see an enemy officer ordering his men to form a new line facing us... I could see the enemy soldiers raise their muskets.

When I saw the puffs of smoke and heard the sound of their guns firing, I realised with relief that I had not been hit. I was loading and firing without thinking.

Our enemies now faced attackers on three sides: our pikemen on the far side of the enemy, two musket regiments on our left and us - MacDónaill’s Volunteers. In the enemy ranks, men gasped in shock as they fell. There seemed to be only a few of them now.

The enemy did not stand for long. As I saw them run, I let out a long breath. The battle for Dublin was over. Ireland was free at last. The free republic of Ireland would not give the English the bribe which the King in Dublin had promised, to stop the English from invading Ireland. The English army and navy seemed invincible ... how would we hold on to our freedom?
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 07, 2014 at 12:05 PM.

keep up the great work
    Last edited by PhilipO'Hayda; November 07, 2014 at 03:41 PM.

Thank you, Philip O'Hayda - that's a great picture which could come in useful. Meanwhile, here is what happened next...

Chapter Eight

The dead and dying lay strewn across the battle-field. Some moaned in agony; one or two sang in delirium. Amongst the bodies, one or two people walked, perhaps looking for someone they hoped was somewhere else, safe, alive. A crying woman cradled a soldier’s head, pleading with him to come back to her, although he never would. A boy skipped from corpse to corpse, snatching rings from the hands of dead men, running his hands quickly through the pockets of their clothing, seeking anything he could sell.

In the distance, the rebel army marched under the warm sun of a summer afternoon into the streets of Dublin. The soldiers marched with their heads high and their flags catching the light breeze. People crowded into the streets to watch and cheer the arriving rebels, while frantic rumours sped as fast as feet could run along the city streets. People were claiming that the King had been seen on a small boat being rowed to an English warship, or the King had fled to France, or the King had sailed to Rome, to beg forgiveness from the Pope for oppressing the people of Ireland. Rumours contradicted each other and merged into wilder and more frenzied speculation in the streets, ale-houses and markets of the city.

“Out of my way!” A well-dressed man pushed past Kelly and Dempsey as they strode briskly towards Dublin’s port, at the mouth of the River Liffey.
    “He’s in a terrible hurry, so he is” observed Dempsey.

“Indeed. Men who were high up in the King’s service are getting out while they can. You’ve heard the same rumours that I have.”

“I have, indeed, sir. An English ship is sitting at anchor and the King and his court have gone aboard. They are going to escape to England.”

They made their way through the crowded streets as quickly as they could. Even so they arrived at the harbour, in time to see the English vessel sailing off. They had hoped to bluff their way on board. Now they had no obvious way to leave Ireland, and no reason to want to stay.

“Well, sir, that's a blow,” said Dempsey, “We might have found work with the King and his army. I suppose at least we still have our posts in the rebel army to keep us in wages till we find something more to our mind.”

“True, Dempsey, true.” Kelly was gazing absent-mindedly at the ship as it moved further and further from land. “Although I'm not so sure we're likely to be paid for a good while. If I were the King I'd have been making it as hard as possible for the rebels to get their hands on my money. So, just in case that pay isn't immediately forthcoming, what would you say to supplementing it with a little extra from a different source?”

“You have a fine home, sir” observed Kelly, an hour or so later. “Thank God for Ormonde, eh?” said the Englishman, slurring his words slightly. He appeared to be a little drunk, and Kelly and Dempsey glanced at each other, amused, before Kelly replied. “Ormonde, sir? Are you referring to the Lord Deputy of Ireland of that name, about forty years ago?” “Indeed I am,” the Englishman – William Standish, Queen Anne's ambassador to Ireland, known to have been a good friend of the now-departed King - replied, “He gave instructions that houses on the River Liffey had to face the river, which is why we have this fine view.” The ambassador indicated the view with a grand sweep of his right hand, a hand which held a half-empty wine bottle. After a moment's pause to contemplate the (rather blurry) view, he continued, “I feel that I know you already. The former King was kind enough to share your reports with me. You are Mr Nahum Kelly and Mr Ciarán Dempsey. You have been working for some time as, ah, confidential agents in the service of the King. As you know, I am Queen Anne’s ambassador to the Kingdom of Ireland –” He bowed slightly, then recollected the recent changes which had caused him such distress, and such a desire for wine – “well, it will be the Republic of Ireland now, I suppose.” The ambassador sighed, unhappily, and leaned against a table for support. Kelly noticed a pistol and a powder-horn on the table.

“We were wondering if we could be of help to you, sir, in these dangerous and uncertain days.”

“Were you? Good grief, you don’t suppose that the rebels know how closely I was working with your King, do you?” The ambassador’s face looked pale and his hands were shaking slightly. “There could be a mob coming for me next.”

“You’ll be needing some protection, then, at least until the city has calmed down a bit. Dempsey and I might be able to help. We could easily keep an eye on things in the city and let you know if anyone you might not want to see might be heading for your house.”

“Thank goodness. Information of that kind would be extremely helpful.”

“That’s settled, then. After that, we can offer you something else. Queen Anne’s government will need to know what is happening in Ireland, won’t they? We can be your eyes and ears.”

“Indeed you can. The rebels will soon form a republican government in Ireland. A republican government sets a bad example, don’t you think?” Kelly nodded and waited while the ambassador thought for a moment. “England suffered a civil war in my grandfather’s time when some people decided that they were better off without royalty or aristocracy. A successful republic, here in Ireland, could cause a revival of dangerous ideas back in England. We need to know what the new government in Dublin intends. How far does their effrontery go? Are they interested in spreading their subversive republican views and undermining public order in England? Will they dare to build warships to harass England’s merchant navy? Do they intend to compete with England in acquiring lands in the New World? We need to know what will be the state of their defences: how many regiments of foot and how many cavalrymen can the new republic afford? What are their weaknesses? All this and more, I will need to know.”

“If you don’t mind us asking, if we take care of your needs in those areas, will you ensure that our needs are taken care of, too?” inquired Dempsey.

“You gentlemen have proved that you can assess a situation and take the initiative. Your, ah, expertise and experience are just what I need. In return, there are some things that I can offer you. Now that the King has fled Dublin, you may be in a dangerous position if you lack powerful friends. You will need money, of course. You will need to know that England will be a safe place for you, if events do not transpire here as we would like. The English army is expanding, gentlemen. Queen Anne’s ministers will not tolerate a troublesome republic in Ireland forever. As you can guess, as ambassador I have certain connections in London. When your work is done here, I can arrange for Mr Kelly a commission in an English regiment of foot at your accustomed rank of captain. Mr Dempsey can join you as a sergeant in your company.” Kelly began to speak. “Before you respond, consider what you can achieve and what we can offer. You will either be heroes to a restored King in Ireland or you will have a respectable position in England. My government will reward well and you will enjoy a comfortable life.”

“We’ll find out everything we can” said Kelly, “and to prove our good intentions, there's something we can tell you right away.”

“Yes? What’s that?”

“We’ve heard rumours that some of the rebels received training in musketry in Scotland.”

“Indeed. That is interesting. Queen Anne’s government has had trouble with the Jacobite clans, the people who refuse to accept that King James gave up the English throne in 1688. Are you saying that some of the Scottish rebels are working with the Irish rebels?”

“I am, sir” replied Kelly. “It seems that our enemies are working with your enemies.”

“If that is the case, I must inform London. My political masters might well decide that the republican government in Ireland is too dangerous to be allowed to endure. If the rebels remain in power in Ireland they may help the Jacobites with their own uprising in Scotland. We must prevent such an alliance between Irish and Scottish rebels at all costs – such an alliance could even threaten England.”

The ambassador seemed to be sobering up somewhat, now that he had work to do. He stood in thought for a moment, then turned to Kelly and Dempsey again.

“I rather suspect that my government might be inclined to send an army to take Ireland away from your republican rebels. If what you have heard is true, then you have found a way to sow division among our enemies, and such division will be of enormous assistance to our troops. There are some Scottish regiments who are still loyal to the Crown. I will recommend that if my government sends an army to Ireland, they should include some of the loyal Scottish regiments. Your Irish republicans might not be so popular in Scotland if they have shed Scottish blood. That’s it – that is the way for us to prevent an alliance between the Irish and the Scots.”

[Note: the image is a painting by the English artist Thomas Luny (1759-1837) of the Earl of Pembroke (later HMS Endeavour) leaving Whitby harbour. The image came from here; the web site says that this image is in the public domain]
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 16, 2014 at 12:57 PM.

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [updated November 23, 2014]

Chapter Nine

“Sail ho!”

Douglas Hogan, master and commander of the Dasher, opened his telescope and surveyed the approaching ships with calm unconcern. The trade route between northern Europe and West Africa was a popular one, after all. The commander of the Dasher smiled as he saw the leading vessel was a fine frigate-built Dutch ship, remembering dining as a guest aboard a similar French frigate. That had been during a previous voyage, back in the days when the Dasher had been solely a trade ship. He had admired the French ship's smart lines and her 48 guns. Now Hogan, acutely aware of his responsibility as the captain of the Irish navy's first vessel, looked forward to the days when Ireland would have such ships. The Dasher was built for speed, like the frigate-built Dutch two-decker ahead, but the Dasher was only a fast galleon, not a true man of war.

“That’s odd.” The commander moved the telescope so that his view crossed the full length of the near side of the leading Dutch ship’s hull. “Have a look, lieutenant.” The commander passed the telescope to the young lieutenant who stood by his side. “Their hull bears scorch-marks and there are holes which definitely aren’t gun-ports. They've seen some action recently, haven’t they Captain?” said Lieutenant Curran, passing the telescope back. The commander remembered when Mr Curran had first arrived aboard Dasher as a midshipman, several voyages ago. The young officer had not even known of the tradition that any officer commanding a ship should be addressed as Captain.

Now the Dutch two-decker’s gun-ports were opening. “She’s clearing for action” observed the commander. “Are there any other ships in sight? Perhaps they’re engaging pirates?” asked the lieutenant. This seemed like the only rational explanation, but the commander wanted to seize any opportunity to prepare his officers for the role of a captain. He looked forward to the days when the bright young men serving on Dasher would have ships of their own. “What would you do, in my place? Should we come about and try to avoid the Dutch ships? Should we clear for action?”

The lieutenant looked thoughtfully at the Dutch two-decker. “They have the weather gauge and they’re fast ships. If we turn, they could rake our stern.”

“True. That would be a disaster for us. Should we beat to quarters, then?”

Hearing this, the ship’s drummer looked at his captain expectantly.

“I do not think so, sir. We should not provoke them to conflict. Perhaps they have mistaken us for another vessel? Pirates have been known to use small, fast galleons like ours. If we send the crew to their action stations, the Dutch captains may conclude that we’re pirates about to launch a foolish attack on them.”

“Good man. I agree. What should we do, then?”

The lieutenant smiled at the praise. “May I suggest that we run up our colours, sir? If they think we’re pirates, then it’s time to put them at their ease.”

“You have sound judgement, Mr Curran.” The commander raised his voice to address the men nearby, “Raise our colours! Let’s show these fine Dutch fellows that we are not their enemies,” and then added, under his voice, “I hope.” He had not forgotten that the United Provinces were allies of England. The Dasher had left Ireland some days ago, sailing to West Africa to protect the trade route Ireland depended on. If England and Ireland were now at war, then there was a good chance that these Dutch warships were now his enemies. As he saw his men raise the Irish flag, Hogan mouthed a silent prayer: please, God, please don’t let them be about to fire on us. Please let my young officers have a chance to grow up into fine captains. Please let me return home, to see my wife and children again.

Seeing the green flag with the cláirseach, the golden harp of Ireland’s republic, touched the hearts of Ireland’s first naval officers. But their proud moment was broken by the sight of a cannon-ball striking the waves just a few yards from the bow. “I don’t believe it! They are firing on us! All hands on deck! Run out the guns, as fast as you can!”

Hogan swiftly re-evaluated the situation. The enemy two-decker was ahead and to starboard. Ahead and to larboard were three other vessels. The commander’s telescope swept briskly across the ships. “A fluyt, a brig and a sloop. They’ve all seen action. Perhaps the brig and the sloop were taken as prizes?”

The commander considered his options. None of them seemed appealing. The Dasher had no chance of outrunning the enemy frigate. He started thinking aloud. “Their frigate has already taken damage. If we get close to her, a lucky shot might hurt her enough to put her out of action. It will be dangerous because the other three ships have the weather gauge and they will want to rake us. But this is our best chance. If we can put their two-decker out of the fight, we might get out of this yet.”

Decision made, he turned to the helmsman. “Hard a-starboard! I want us within musket-shot of that frigate, as quickly as you can!” Not waiting for a response, Captain Hogan turned to his officers, “tell the gunners on the larboard side to fire as their guns bear!”

Dasher’s first shots, fired from a distance, seemed to have little effect on the two-decker. As Dasher moved in close to the frigate, the enemy ship’s starboard guns began to fire, and the race-built galleon shuddered.

Captain Hogan heard the cries of injured men as cannon-balls sent showers of sharp wooden splinters into his ship. “Take us across her bow! We’ll use the frigate to shield us from the other enemy ships!” cried Hogan. Dasher moved swiftly across the frigate’s bow and turned hard a-larboard.

For a short time, the race-built galleon could use the bulk of the two-decker as a shield. The enemy frigate had been damaged but she was still firing on the Dasher. The other three enemy vessels were swift and the wind was in their sails. Soon the enemy sloop had the Dasher in range, while the brig and the fluyt came closer. The Irishmen turned their ship, desperate to avoid being raked.

Soon Dasher was not only outgunned, but also surrounded with no way to escape. As more Irishmen died, Captain Hogan could see no way out. When he called out “strike our colours!” he could see the relief on the faces of his surviving men. It was over.

As the commander watched a small boat crossing from the Dutch frigate, his mind raced with speculation. If the Dutch and English were at war with Ireland, then Ireland had no ships to prevent them from blockading Ireland’s trade. Without the income from sea trade, the Irish republic would struggle to pay the soldiers it already had, let alone raise new regiments. Hogan remembered seeing worried faces in a Dublin tavern. People had noticed that Dublin was defended only by a few regiments of pikemen and some cavalrymen. The musketeers who had led the rebel army into Dublin were nowhere to be seen ... and, without them, how could Ireland be defended against her powerful enemies?
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 23, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

god we seemed doomed

Some really great stuff. You're writing and prose is good and the dialogue interesting. Furthermore, the plot and scenario you've chose is interesting and intriguing and the rebellion was well written and done.

However, a few points. Some times, the tense changes in the story. At one point it'll be a recount of the events by an old guy in a tavern and the next it'll treat the events as if it's happening in the present. It's just a bit confusing.

I like how you're using characters, but I think a bit of notice at the beginning of the chapter, like the character name, would be helpful because sometimes it's hard to pick up which POV it is.

Apart from that, this is some really good stuff and I hope you continue you it.

Merchant of Venice

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Excellent, as always. Those darned Paddies up to their old tricks again!

Seriously though, I like it. Very much. Keep it up, good sir. +rep.

Philip O'Hayda, yes these are dangerous days ... all I can say is that I'm posting Chapter Ten and Chapter Eleven today.
    Merchant of Venice, thank you for useful and encouraging feedback
    McScottish, that's great, thank you!

Chapter Ten

Eoghan MacDónaill said to me afterwards, “Jonathan, if we knew then what we know now, do you think we would have acted differently?” Thinking back to those days, I sometimes wonder. We had a plan. It was a good plan. It would have worked, if we had not been betrayed.

Some of our Scottish friends had been following the English army for days as they marched west from Edinburgh. From their hiding-places, Charles and Callum Mackinnon watched the English army marching.

They saw Sir John Churchill, the Duke of Marlborough, riding at the head of the column with his staff officers. They saw proud cavalrymen on well-fed horses. They counted seven regiments of foot, and saw with dismay that one of them was the Earl of Pembroke’s maritime regiment of foot, sometimes called the Marines. Watching the Marines, Charles and Callum saw that their ranks had been swelled with Irishmen who had gone into exile with the former King of Ireland. They discovered that the seven regiments of infantry included three regiments of Scottish soldiers who were loyal to Queen Anne’s government in London. They were disappointed, but not surprised, to find Scottish regiments marching in the army of an English general. At the rear of the column, they saw heavy cannon being pulled along.

Charles and Callum separated and travelled as quickly as they could. For our plan to succeed, they had to deliver their messages to different places – one to Dublin, one to the north of Ireland.

We knew that the English army, when it came, would be professional soldiers, better trained than our men. We thought their army would probably include a powerful combination of infantry, cannon and cavalry. With the strength of their navy, we had no hope of preventing them from landing in Ireland. Indeed, we expected their navy to cut off the trade on which our economy depended. As Eoghan MacDónaill said, these facts all pointed to one thing: we had to beat a more powerful army. If we failed, Ireland’s freedom would be stolen from us. We could not let that happen.

How do you defeat a stronger army?

When we heard that the Duke of Marlborough was marching his army to Scotland, we suspected he was on his way to Ireland. Our Scottish friends told us that some Scottish regiments were marching to join General Churchill’s army. In Dublin, our pikemen and light cavalry made a big show of guarding our capital. We knew that the enemy would have spies and we hoped that we could focus their eyes on this small force. We wanted General Churchill’s army to march confidently, even carelessly, on the road south to Dublin, expecting little serious resistance.

When Charles Mackinnon arrived in Dublin, the commander of the Dublin garrison knew that it was time to send soldiers north, to meet the invaders. But they wouldn’t be the first Irish soldiers that General Churchill’s army would meet.

I was with MacDónaill’s Volunteers, training in some woods in the north of Ireland near Lough Neagh. We had returned to the camp which had been our base before our march on Dublin. We had been joined in the woods by two newly raised regiments of volunteers and some bands of Irish guerrillas. We reasoned that General Churchill’s army would cross the Irish Sea by the shortest route, landing in Belfast and marching south to take Dublin. If our plan worked, they would never reach Dublin.

We were sure that the English had spies in Ireland. We just didn’t know who they were. Surely, when they saw that there were no musketeers in Dublin, the spies would go looking for them. Our leaders sent the militia to Waterford on Ireland’s south coast. The official reason was to guard the port, in case England went to war with us and tried to land an army there. The unofficial reason was that we wanted the spies to find the militia. The militia were told to keep a low profile, so that the spies would feel some satisfaction when they found the militia. We hoped that the spies wouldn’t realise that we had more than one force of musketeers. We wanted England’s spies not to discover that our best musket-men were hiding in a woodland camp in the north of Ireland, ready to ambush the English army. When the Duke of Marlborough’s army approached Scotland’s west coast, we knew for sure that the English would arrive in the north of Ireland, not the south. The militia in Waterford marched to Dublin, to join the army heading north, and one of the regiments of pikemen took their place in Waterford.

At the barracks on the edge of Dublin, a new regiment was completing their training, just as the English army sailed to Ireland. This new regiment marched and handled their muskets like professional soldiers. They had trained for twice as long as a regular regiment of foot. Their long training gave them confidence in what they could achieve. These men were our Revolutionary Guard regiment; we reckoned they would be a match for the maritime regiment of foot or any one of the three Scottish regiments. If only we had four such regiments, to match the four elite regiments in General Churchill’s army!

Together with the militia from Waterford, pikemen from Dublin and light cavalry, the Revolutionary Guard marched north to meet General Churchill’s army in Lisburn. Our ambushers would have to hold Churchill’s army long enough for these reinforcements to arrive.

Our plan was based on the simple fact that armies march in columns and fight in lines. A marching column is vulnerable to attacks on its flanks. If a column is attacked from both sides, then its men will be caught in deadly cross-fire. Our ambushing force – almost all infantry, with a few horsemen – would wait, in hiding, for General Churchill’s column to reach us while our soldiers in Dublin marched north to help us.

Finally, the day came for which we had trained for so long. From our hiding-places, we could see the enemy column marching, with the town of Lisburn on their left. We were ready to rush forward when the signal was given, to hit the column from both sides at once. But the day did not turn out as we had thought.

The enemy column halted. That had not been part of our plan. We saw English cavalry moving to the front of the column and scouting ahead. They would soon see us. They were acting as if they knew that there was an ambush ahead! How could they know? Fortunately for us, they seemed to think that we were a mile or two ahead of them, rather than just a few yards. Eoghan MacDónaill acted decisively, leading his volunteers in a quick advance from our hiding places. The other two volunteer regiments followed and we marched together along the edge of the town. Seeing us move, the Irish guerrillas on the far side of the enemy column started to advance, with our light cavalry and our general’s bodyguard on their right flank.

The English cavalry charged swiftly ahead, meeting our horsemen in a bloody melee. If they broke our horsemen, they would be able to charge our infantry from the rear and break us too.

Last edited by Alwyn; November 29, 2014 at 11:01 AM.

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [two new chapters on November 29, 2014]

Chapter Eleven

Because the enemy column had stopped early, it was clear that we could not surround them with cross-fire. As each army hurried to form a line facing the other force, we had a temporary advantage. General Churchill’s army, starting in column and reacting to a sudden attack, would take much longer to form a cohesive line. Their delay gave us an opportunity and we wanted to make the most of it.

Two of our volunteer infantry regiments were marching to the right of MacDónaill’s volunteers. Passing through the edge of Lisburn, they found a Scottish regiment marching to form the end of the enemy line. Our volunteers opened fire and closed on the enemy; they would have to endure disciplined musketry from the Scottish regiment, but our sudden attack and greater numbers gave us the advantage.

In the centre of the enemy line were their greatest threats to us. In a small wood just outside Lisburn, they had positioned their cannon. Behind the cannon stood the elite soldiers of the Earl of Pembroke's maritime regiment of foot, protected by a wall. To meet this threat, MacDónaill led us, his volunteer regiment, into a storm of canister-shot. Many good Irishmen, friends of mine, died as we advanced.

Next to us, the bands of Irish guerrillas formed a line and began firing on the enemy gunners; we began to see gaps in their ranks.

Behind us, our horsemen were defeating the English cavalry; if they hadn’t, the day would have ended quite differently.

On our left flank, beyond the Irish guerillas, well, we didn’t have anyone in the first stage of the battle. Inevitably, the enemy would notice this sooner or later. We had to hope that our furious firing at the middle of the enemy line would distract them for long enough for our reinforcements to arrive and form up on our left flank. Unfortunately for us, a Scottish colonel in General Churchill’s army saw that our left flank was an empty field. If he marched his men ahead and turned them, they could fire along our infantry line from its end with devastating effect.

At last, our reinforcements from Dublin began to reach us. Our first reinforcements to arrive, a regiment of pikemen, saw the danger presented by the advancing Scottish regiment. They crossed a wall and charged towards the advancing infantry, who were levelling their muskets.

Surely our pikemen knew that they were marching to their deaths. They sacrificed themselves to hold the enemy off – if they had not done so, the battle would have turned to disaster. By the time a handful of surviving pikemen ran for their lives, they had held off the Scottish regiment for just long enough – more reinforcements had arrived to take their place.

Behind the Scottish regiment, we could see General Churchill himself with his staff officers. The English general was ordering more of his army to converge on our weak left flank. As more enemy soldiers advanced, a second regiment of our pikemen charged, doing their best to hold them off.

Like the pikemen ahead of them, these men gave their lives to stop the enemy from flanking our line while more of our reinforcements came into position. I couldn’t have been prouder of my fellow Irishmen than I was at that moment. Each man thought not of his own safety but of the lives of his fellow soldiers. Militia began to arrive and, with them, our elite Revolutionary Guard, whose arrival lifted the spirits of many of our weary men.

Finally, our left flank was well-guarded. It was time for the enemy to be afraid.

At last, we were driving the English army back, all the way along the line. General Churchill was struggling to keep his men in line. Our surviving light cavalry saw that the enemy leader was in an exposed position. Our horsemen charged and soon, the English general was no more.

If General Churchill had survived, he would have undoubtedly organised the remaining English regiments to make an effective stand against our advancing line. Without him, the commander of each English regiment did what he thought was best.

In the centre, our furious volleys had silenced the enemy cannon and driven back General Churchill’s elite maritime regiment. On our right, our two volunteer regiments had finally sent the tough Scottish regiment running. We had lost many of our soldiers, but the enemy had seen their entire first line break and run. And more would follow. Our army formed one cohesive line. Without General Churchill to organise the English regiments, our line could advance and break one regiment after another.

Ireland’s freedom had almost been snatched away when the English column avoided walking into our cross-fire – but this day belonged to us.

As I wandered across the battlefield, emptying now of the living, I caught sight of General Churchill's body. It reminded me of a thing MacDónaill had taught me: good soldiers depend on good information. Knowing Churchill was widely considered a good soldier, I wondered whether I might find any 'good information' in his pockets. As I neared the body of Churchill's horse, a militia sergeant was looking through the saddle-bags. I saw him discarding a book – it looked like a Bible - and as he threw it down, some pieces of paper fluttered from it. “Sergeant, do you mind if I take these papers?” I inquired. “Colonel MacDónaill might want to see them.”

“Go ahead,” replied the sergeant. As a private soldier, I wasn’t in a position to tell a sergeant what to do, but why would he mind? He obviously thought the book and papers were worthless.

The writing on the papers seemed to be in some kind of code. Folding the papers carefully inside the Bible for safe-keeping, I ran at once to find MacDónaill, who was conferring with other senior officers. Later on, when the Irish Army got more organised, a private soldier would have been in trouble for interrupting a meeting of colonels. But we still thought more like rebels than soldiers in these early days – and MacDónaill was like a father to me, almost a replacement for the father I had lost. I showed the officers the English general’s papers and explained where they had come from.

“We saw General Churchill’s column stop, as if they were expecting an ambush,” said MacDónaill, “and our ambush plan wasn’t generally known. I suspect that someone provided the English army with information. We were betrayed, gentlemen. If only we could read them, these papers could tell us just how much the general knew. Damn this code! There might be clues in here about the identity of the spies.” MacDónaill turned to me, “Mr Connolly, I want you to study these papers and work out what this code means. I have plenty of men who can stand in line and fire three rounds a minute. I need officers who can think. Show me that you can think like an officer and I will make you one.”

I had been given an important job, and I was keen to crack the code and prove myself to MacDónaill. Perhaps I would be able to discover the identity of the spy. But before then, there was a celebration to be had. We had won a remarkable victory; General Churchill’s proud army had been broken. But even in the midst of our celebrations, we could not forget that England had many more redcoats to throw at us and, no doubt, would recruit even more. To secure the freedom of Ireland, we still had a long way to go... and I had a code to break.
    Last edited by Alwyn; November 30, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

Default Re: Éirí Amach: Irish Rising (Ireland AAR) [two new chapters on November 29, 2014]

I really loved the battle description, it was very well done. Can't wait to see whether our protagonist will be able to break the code, or if the traitors will find him first. Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast