Thread: R2TR Screenshot Thread

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Default R2TR Screenshot Thread

Continuing the tradition of RTR, here's a thread for screenshots to be shared by everyone Both users as well as the team can post screenshots here. Users can showcast their campaigns and feats during those, while team members might drop by and post some sneak shots of what is coming Anyway, have fun and frequent this thread to show off your battles, campaigns and graphical skills!
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Default Re: R2TR Screenshot Thread

Let's start slowly shall we?

Sometimes Rome II can be such a beatiful game...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But it can be really ugly as well, these ugly rocks prove it.

But in the end I can't deny how much fun the game is. Behold the men of Italia!
    Sorry if it's a little too dark

Decanus

hehehe I see "legal weed" in the last shot

Quote Originally Posted by H0CHM31573R View Post
    Let's start slowly shall we?
    But in the end I can't deny how much fun the game is. Behold the men of Italia!
    Sorry if it's a little too dark
    Sorry, i can't see anything, as you must have confused "Graphics" with "Add as many G.E.M filters as possible until the picture is almost black... because... realism means brown, black, and dark tones"!

In all fairness, it was a foggy day, so it was supposed to be dark. But I agree with you, I found it hard myself to distinguish soldiers from trees and finding nice angles to take screenies has even harder, but I hadn't played in a while and I just wanted to upload something. My screenies usually don't look like that:

Silly Roman, did no one teach you how to use a sword?

Headshot

Libertus

none of the pics are showing :c

Libertus

None of the pictures are showing :c

Few screenshots from next version, what you can expect in regards to AI Armies - (Taken from Caesar in Gaul campaign)

last one will be a tough one - Lots of Gaesatae (naked Warriors in R2) present.. while they have no protection besides the shield and helmet, they are ferocious swordsmen with very high morale. expect big losses facing them in battle...

Last edited by JaM; October 10, 2016 at 02:58 PM.

realized so far i did not posted any battle pictures, here is one:

First Cohort finally breaking the Celtic Oathsworn who fought to the death against two Legionarii cohorts even after whole Celtic army melted. Charge into their rear finally did the trick after some fierce fight.

Legionarii fight the way through into enemy city after breach is created:

Celtic Nobles last stand

Last moments for Vercingetorix:

Last edited by JaM; October 11, 2016 at 04:31 PM.

Socii Wars in full swing:

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

This looks pretty good. The men are well spaced out. Has this mod fixed the "blobbing" issue of Rome 2 TW?

AI still tends to attack one spot with multiple units (this cannot be fixed, as its hard-coded AI behavior), yet, due to different spacing and battle entity tweaks (mass, radius size, acceleration,deceleration, rotation speed, etc), it is no longer tightly packed blob. you would have to put a lot more units on top of each other to get the vanilla results.. I think it is a safe to say blobbing is gone, at least in open battles.

Plus, AI is now well aware of whole battlefield, visibility was greatly increased, therefore AI will react with his army to your army movements, instead of chasing some skirmishers around.. this leads to properly formed AI battle lines, even with reserves, and much more interesting battles overall

Here is another picture from open battle which was posted in different thread, same as on others, no blobbing present:

Last edited by JaM; October 13, 2016 at 08:13 AM.

Massive naval battle against Carthage:

Only the dead have seen the end of war...

Cisalpine Celts revolted against Roman rule, and a massive battle happened close to Mediolanium:

Armies are forming up:

Positions before battle:

Battle started with Cavalry engagement on the left flank:

Frenzy charge of Celtic Infantry:

End Result:

Can someone post a few screens of the campaign map, and the faction start positions? Particularly interested to see Carthage. Thanks

Excellent, thank you. What's the Carthaginian unit roster like? Are they still unable to recruit any decent units until barracks tier 3?
    Also, how is the economy? Is it worth building ports and farms?

I liked the original Rome Total Realism.
    In Rome II (vanilla), agents that can stop one of your armies from moving caused me to rage quit and I haven't been back since. Has this been removed? If so I might consider playing this mod

Carthaginians actually have Lybian Spearmen available from city building, not barracks (these are for garrisons). There are two different types of Spearmen available, Heavily armored and Light. Light version is cheaper and faster, suitable as flanking force, Heavy version wears heavy armor. Both use two Lonchae, one is thrown at charge, second is used for close combat.

With technology research, you will be able to initiate a military reform, where two new types of spearmen will be available - Heavy African Spearmen, with heavy armor and Thureos shield, similarly armed with two lonchae, Light African Spearmen, similarly, with limited armor, thureos and two spears.

At the same time, you will be able to recruit heavy skirmisher type - Lybian Lonchophoroi, which are practically Lybian infantry fighting in open order with more javelins, yet still capable fighting in melee. With the reform, African Lonchophoroi will swap the shield for thureos.

Best troops you can get, will be African Veterans, which are supposed to represent elite troops equipped with captured Roman equipment, therefore they will use Scutum, and will also use Roman type armors (mail, pectorales)

yet, best Carthaginian units are Cavalry units.. Carthaginian Cavalry and Noble Cavalry are way above any Roman equivalent. they are both heavily protected, well trained. Practically the most dangerous force you might find in your flank...

Decided to capture one battle i had in Wrath of Sparta. Just recently, I've lost a battle to AI, while outnumbering him 2:1, just because i thought i have it under control. AI didnt wait till my two stacks would join together, but instead, went on full attack. I have deployed my army in standard Hoplite phalanx with single line of Hoplites, supported by light infantry and flank covered by cavalry. Ai had very similar deployment, his forces were actually weaker, mostly formed of Militia Hoplites, but AI army had Mercenary Ionian Hippies which proved superior to my light cavalry. So, how AI defeated me? very simply. His infantry hit me in the center, while his cavalry tried to outflank me, which i countered with my light cavalry. Yet i lost both cavalry fights, and his cavalry then rolled around and hit my Hoplites in the back.. some parts held (tried to inspire them with general), but eventually they broke one after another. General's picked hoplites fought to the last..

My second army was still just marching to get into fight, yet they came too late, therefore i rather stopped them and formed battle-line. AI again, engaged me in front, yet this time sent skirmishers to pepper me from flanks. AI cavalry was still chasing down remnants of my main army. After a while, more and more enemy units reentered the fight, fixed me and flanked me with multiple units. As before, my line held, until as before, enemy cavalry arrived, dealing another charge into my rear.. I was completely defeated by small force..something i would usually expect from very skilled human opponent, not the AI. Only shame that during battle i forgot to take screenshots.

Anyway, because humans learn, i have adopted on this tactics, and started using a bit different approach in next battle. This time, numbers were approximately equal, yet AI had again advantage in cavalry, as they had heavy and light cavalry units, while i had just single light cavalry. To not repeat the same mistakes, i have formed my best infantry in a single line, but kept two militia hoplites in reserve on the left flank, which was opposing the enemy heavy cavalry. On right flank instead i kept my skirmishers and my light cavalry. I've also put reserve skirmishers, Agrianian Axemen behind, while my archers stayed protected by the Hoplite phalanx.

I have ordered the formation forward, anyway when my archers got into range, AI started their advance.

As before, they launched the cavalry attack on both flanks, yet this time my reserve hoplites turned left and back, effectively protecting the flank from cavalry charge. When AI took small casualties, it withdrawn the cavalry and instead rolled into my Axemen, yet this time, they did not run (skirmish ability turned off) and they met the Thebeans with their axes, while my archers kept firing at them.
    At the same time, enemy Hoplites engaged my line, while my light cavalry together with some thracian peltasts managed to rout AI cavalry, yet AI countered it with a hoplite unit, so instead of fighting, i allowed my peltasts to draw them away.

Yet with their heavy cavalry gone, my reserve Hoplites just rolled on their flank, supported by Agrianians, and started to cause routs unit after unit. Agrianians are especially effective flanking force, their axes do a lot of damage, therefore can deal even with heavily armored infantry while attacking them from rear gives them nice charge bonus against no enemy defense.. As more enemy units routed, i had more Hoplites units to flank the enemy completely, up until only enemy general unit was the last one standing on the far right.. To give them honourable death, i have pulled my General and charged them to finish them off.

Enemy army was completely destroyed, my skirmishers were chasing those who routed, i got a Decisive victory this time...

So, what i learned from all this? Even if you are outnumbered, you can win with correct tactics used. Fight concentrated, dont wait for AI to get all their units into fight. Keep reserves, preferably from faster units to be able to flank the enemy in time, and of course, dont underestimate cavalry, and always try to counter any enemy cavalry units with yours, or at least make sure you can face them with reserves. Theoretically, i could use two lines of Hoplites, but AI would instead outflank me with his infantry, so best way how to prevent that is to make sure your frontage is approximately similar to enemy frontage. Create a plan of action before battle, even at closing in, there is still time to reorganize the army a bit. Find enemy weakness and exploit it to full. And of course, don't underestimate the AI.. even with smaller numbers, they might have some very experienced general, which presence will make those militia hoplites fight like Spartans..