Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goofy's Eye Candy Pack

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default Goofy's Eye Candy Pack

GOOFY'S EYE CANDY PACK
    Mod released!

Goofy's Improved Faction Shields for Broken Crescent - OUT NOW!

Download here

What is it?
    This shield pack is the first installment in Goofy's Eye Candy Pack.

I have always loved Broken Crescent, and I have always liked the faction shields. However, the quality of those is, frankly, rather poor. That is what this fancy shield pack thing is attempting to fix by providing you with 18 high-quality shields, improving your Broken Crescent experience along with all the other eye candy provided in this thread. My ultimate goal is to provide you the authentic Broken Crescent experience but with top-notch quality this time around.

This mod is the result of more than 100 hours of hard work, so please let me know if you are enjoying the new look of your game!

The new faction shields

Screenshots

Installation
    Copy and paste the contents of the "data" folder included in the download into your BC main data folder. By default this is ...\...\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Broken_Crescent_Kingdoms\data.

It is recommended to create backups of the "menu" and "ui" folders prior to installing this mod.

Compatibility

This mod is fully save game compatible, and compatible with most Broken Crescent submods - more specifically those that do not alter any files in the following folders:
    • data\ui\african\interface
    • data\ui\eastern_european\interface
    • data\ui\faction_symbols
    • data\ui\greek\interface
    • data\ui\mesoamerican\interface
    • data\ui\middle_eastern\interface
    • data\ui\northern_european\interface
    • data\ui\southern_european\interface

Permissions
    You can include this mod in yours as long as my work is credited. It is also to be taken note of that all the contents of this mod have been meant for use in Broken Crescent only.

Credits
    All faction shields and additional graphics in this mod have been made by Goofy.

Special thanks to
    Maximinus Thrax for inspiration and constructive feedback.

Download
    Download here

If you notice any bugs or other issues, please let me know so they can be addressed accordingly.

COMPATIBLE MUST-HAVE EYE CANDY MODS
    Here's a selection (well, there might be in the future) of absolutely fantastic eye candy mods that are fully compatible with mine.

Please note that I haven't contributed to these mods in any way - give full credit to the authors.

New Cities Strat Models for BC

Download here

Original thread

Kudos to MIKE GOLF for making Agart's strat map cities and castles compatible with BC.

Last edited by Goofy; December 23, 2014 at 05:35 PM.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default Re: Goofy's Eye Candy Pack

Here's the first preview for you fellows. Bear in mind everything is still work-in-progress so some changes (colours, brightness, middle part layout and so forth) will certainly be made before the mod is released. Unfortunately the original Rajput symbol was impossible to find so I was forced to create a new one. I hope you still like it:

First Preview

From left to right: Solanki Rajputs, Ghorid Sultanate, Great Seljuks, Ayyubid Sultanate.

I'm working on the shields in much higher resolution, just resized them so you can compare them to the original BC shields. This is what they actually look like in development, in case someone is interested:

Higher Resolution

As you can see, a lot of effort has been put into these. The black swords on the Ghorid Sultanate's shield look bad because the original image was very low-res, but don't worry, it's going to look perfectly fine in-game.

I have actually made a new shield for every faction except the Chauhan Rajputs - you'll see more soon. All feedback is appreciated and suggestions will be taken into consideration before the mod is released. Thanks for your attention.
    Last edited by Goofy; October 04, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

Kameraden's Avatar Campidoctor

Gooby pls, looking good. maybe I'll install BC after all..

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Kameraden
    Gooby pls, looking good. maybe I'll install BC after all..
    You better do that old man. Seriously though, BC is a lot of fun to play.

Good, good...

I like what I see here. Great to find out that you haven't lost the touch, o' Goofy One.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax
    Good, good...

I like what I see here. Great to find out that you haven't lost the touch, o' Goofy One.
    Thank you Maximinus, it is appreciated.

Now, having watched my work in the smaller size I've come to the conclusion that the rim and the shadows still need quite some adjusting. I think my shields are a bit too dark and the ornament on the rim is slightly too dominant right now, so I'll need to figure that out before actually importing these in the game - high quality and clarity is what I'm aiming for. Anyways, I'll make sure to make an update on this soon.

These look very nice so far. Will these be included in BC 2.4?

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF
    These look very nice so far.
    Thanks a lot!
    Will these be included in BC 2.4?
    Nope, unless the BC team wants to. I think 2.4 will include new official faction shields anyways. However, I'm currently planning on updating this for all the new factions for 2.4 once it's out so people will get to use these if they choose to (by what I've seen so far the official shields are probably going to look very good so not a lot probably will...). I did offer these to the BC team back in 2013 and they were interested but I don't think they had proper faction shields at all by then. Now that they do, they are probably going to stick with them.

Anyhow, regarding the mod, I have great news: yesterday I decided to try if I could replicate the original Solanki Rajput flower emblem, and I was pleased to see that what I made actually looked very good. So, no new faction emblem for Solanki Rajputs! Here's the (greatly) improved version in high resolution:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think it looks pretty good considering I made it based on the original 60 x 60 or so emblem.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

That one does look awesome. Nice to see you arting again... I would rep you but...

I hope you are using GIMP?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze
    That one does look awesome. Nice to see you arting again... I would rep you but...
    Thanks, Shanky, and it's okay. And believe me I feel awesome while making these.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze
    I hope you are using GIMP?
    Of course I am, it's the only thing that I'm good at using. It would definitely be easier to redesign (if it is needed, that is) some of these in vector graphics software but alas I'm terrible with those.

Here are the Chauhan Rajput and Sultanate of Ghazni faction emblems I remade by hand. And again, it's still all work-in-progress.

Original:

As you can see, I decided I could just as well replace the peacock in the original emblem with something that can actually be recognized as a peacock, so the Ghazni faction emblem is going to see a slight chance. Nothing too major there. I'm not sure if I like the renewed Ghazni symbol better though. Well, at least it's way more symmetric and therefore pleases the eye of us obsessive perfectionists better.

I also remade the swords in the Ghorid emblem (just because I'm so obsessed):

Those are rather beautiful if I say so myself. Again I used the original emblem as a template.

I never knew that the emblem was supposed to be a peacock, now I do!

Domesticus
    Artifex

I never knew that the emblem was supposed to be a peacock, now I do!
    I know right, I never had an idea as to what it was supposed to be either. I was wondering about it all the time while drawing the original emblem in higher quality, and when I was finished I realized it looked absolutely terrible. So while trying to figure out what it was, I stumbled upon this site and made the conclusion that this
    The Gazneli (Gazneliler)

Alleged flag of the Ghazneli - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 July 2004
    Official description: Founded by Alptekin, covering the area from the Trans-Oxus to the Ganges River, from the shores of the Caspian Sea to the steppes of the Pamir (total area 4,700,000 sq. km).
    Additional information: The Empire of the Ghaznavids, founded by Mahmud of Ghazni (ruled 998-1030), had its center in Ghazni, Afghanistan.
    Flag: The flag attributed to the Gazneli is green with a grey crescent in canton and a peacock.

Ivan Sache & Jarig Bakker, 4 July 2004

is essentially referencing the Sultanate of Ghazni, even though the flag above looks completely different from the emblem we're used to seeing in BC. Either way, I'm convinced the thing in the middle of the Ghaznavid emblem is a peacock.

By the way, after speaking with Maximinus Thrax yesterday I was inspired to try and create a new (golden, though that might change) rim for the shields (I'm sure everyone agrees with me on that the rim is the weakest part in the first version of my shield design), and I think this new one is looking quite fantastic so far. Here's a WIP version I'm working on:

As you can tell I also changed the middle texture from wood to... something else, I don't know what that would be but it looks damn good anyways. It's the same texture that I've applied to the rim. The previous rim was essentially created from scratch, while for this one I used a stock photo of a golden plate I found. You can see the difference in quality. The new design is still very much a WIP, I have only worked on it for an hour or so, so I'm certainly going to make some improvements soon enough.

I love the gritty look though.

I am odds over which which rim I prefer. Either one will work for me.

Domesticus
    Artifex

I am odds over which which rim I prefer. Either one will work for me.
    I think I'm going to use the new one - I think it's going to look great after some more editing - or make two emblem sets.

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

Those are really nice , cool stuff, the new rim is much better.

i am certainly gonna try them out. + rep

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrene
    Those are really nice , cool stuff, the new rim is much better.

i am certainly gonna try them out. + rep
    Great to hear you like them!

Again an update on the mod - I've been working on these rather lazily in the last few days, I kind of lost the enthusiasm (that always happens to me with my projects) I had when I started to work on this again so I'm not making progress as fast but we're getting there. I need to figure out some changes to make the shield look perfect in the small size it's seen in-game. The good news is I've been able to replicate every single one of the original faction emblems and I now have them saved on my PC (in shields I made using the first rim, to be precise) so once I'm done with adjusting the rim it should be rather easy to craft the faction shields again. On a related note, one adjustment I'm probably going to make is to lower the saturation on the rim so the golden colour looks slightly more brown/bronze and therefore most likely fits the BC interface better. One earlier version I tested in-game popped out too much to my eye.

Anyways, it's looking good so far and I don't think it's going to take more than a week or two until I'm ready with these.

Domesticus
    Artifex

For those that are interested, here's a screenshot of in-game testing. I'm currently trying to figure out the optimal brightness and hue settings.

On a side note the UI in the picture above is one made by cedric37 (originally for Stainless Steel) which I'm trying to make compatible with BC (if I succeed in doing that I'm going to share the files with others). Anyhow, more about that later.

As always any feedback will be appreciated. Personally I think it's looking rather solid now but some further touches will be needed at least when using cedric's UI - it's extremely sharp while my shield design is rather smooth at the moment.
    Last edited by Goofy; October 11, 2014 at 03:26 PM.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

İ ve been waiting for ur release my friend.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Thanks for letting me know - may it inspire me to finish this soon. I've been busy thinking of other stuff (planning on getting a new PC and all that) so this mod has been on hold a bit. However, I have now reached a point from where on it's quite easy to finally finish the mod and release it so everyone can enjoy it.

On a side note, I'm not getting the roll/select (faction shield selection animations) effect working properly so I need to come up with something. That's actually the only major thing left to do before I can replace the original shields in the game files.

Sorry for my laziness, I really need to focus on this now (I'm the kind that gets easily bored). Thanks for the patience, everyone.
    Last edited by Goofy; October 26, 2014 at 03:46 PM.

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

if i could install my medieval 2 disc(disc is too old and wounded)i plan to make a new submod compilation.i ll ve 10 days holidays.i would like to add ur work into mine as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast