Thread: Your Entertaining CK2 Situations

Default Your Entertaining CK2 Situations

To Preface, I'm fairly new to the game so have tried the typical 'start in Ireland' as I figure things out. I've had a few entertaining situations pop up here and there.

The first:
    In an Irish game I had a request from a King of Scotland for a marriage with a female Kinsmen. His first wife died in 1105 at 29 "after a period of illness". Less than 2 weeks later he's seeking a marriage arrangement with me with a female Kinsmen. I checked back a few years later and he was on his third wife. His second wife having died of Pneumonia at the age of 33 in the year 1108... Well that didn't last long. I'm also fairly certain during that 3 year period, he called me into at least one war.

The Second:
    The most convoluted family dynamic I've created to date was with my first King in the above Irish game (Murchad I) marrying a Princess (Sigrid) from Denmark. Sigrid was 17 at the time, Murchad 39 and had a son (Brian II) prior to the marriage. Brian II went on to have a couple kids including Murchad II and Aedan. When Murchad I died at 52, and because I wanted to maintain the Danish Alliance, I arranged a betrothal between Sigrid (now around the age of 30) to Murchad II who was 6 at the time.

Sigrid didn't have a whole lot of fertility left in her, so Murchad II never really had a legitimate heir and I had started to focus on Aedan to inevitably take over. While Murchad II never had any legitimate children, a random event popped up where Murchad II had a 'tumble' with Aedan's wife (Gyrid, Princess of Norway) and during that one night of passion sired a son who Aedan ended up believing was his, and therefore is legitimate and counts as one of his sons.

At around the age of 40 with Sigrid in her mid 60's, and hoping that she'd kick the proverbial bucket, but deciding not to wait, Murchad decided to divorce Sigrid to look for greener fertile pastures. I was considering marrying him to one of his other lovers from a previous tumble (she had pretty nice stats), but the marriage would have knocked off over 300 Prestige off of Murchad II. As is inevitable, Murchad II died young at 42 or so, with Sigrid the Danish Princess outlasting not one but two Irish husbands (two generations apart), seems to be still going strong at 68 where she's on her third husband!

The Third:
    I tried the Duchy of Tuscany next with Duchess Matilda. You start off as a young woman who is heirless, who also has too many Counties in her Demesne. For political reasons I sought out an alliance with a Prince Knud of Denmark (Matrilineal of course). Naturally, I didn't pay too much attention to the 'Chaste' trait that Knud ended up having. Not long after marrying, a random event popped up yet again where Matilda thought a Courtier fancied her. She gave him a 'tumble', (after all, what could possibly go wrong and not long after, the Pregnancy notification came up. Knud received the "Suspects Something" Opinion Penalty and when the Baby was born, the infidelity was discovered (-30 Opinion). Apparently the father legitimized the kid, although it never showed up as a heir.

Some months later, Matilda had another opportunity for a 'tumble' with yet another Courtier. I thought, "hey, why not... after all, what could possibly go wrong". Once again, Matilda is pregnant. When the Baby is born, Knud once again discovers it's not his, bringing the Infidelity Opinion modifier up to -60.

So, now Matilda has 2 Baby Girls, and a -20 and a -60 Opinion Penalties with her Husband, but it's alright, because as part of solving the too many Counties issue, I had previously given Knud two Counties (+80 Opinion) and the Duchy Title to go along with it (+60 Opinion), so with all the other favorable Opinion Modifiers, Knud still has a 100+ Opinion of his Wife. With that said, I probably should have kept the Duchy title which would have meant Knud would have been Matilda's Vassal.

Finally:
    In a replay of Ireland/Munster after understanding more of the game, things were going pretty well with Murchad, until he became Infirm (-3 to all stats). That was rather unfortunate, though not something that was game ending. Sadly, it didn't take long before Murchad became Incapable (-6 to all stats and requires a Regent). Preferring to play as my heir and hoping I could have Murchad step down as King of Munster, I pursued some tyrannical actions by Imprisoning the Counts of Desmond and Ormond. In addition, I banished both Counts, stripping them of their titles and wealth, but that still didn't cause a revolt. I was planning to give all the titles I could to my heir, but then I ended up changing my mind and revoked Ormond from my Heir. He rebelled, leading to war. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to immediately surrender, which had the effect of Abdicating the Throne.

Murchad then retired to his Father-in-Law's court of Navarra, taking with him his massive wealth seized from the counts of Desmond and Ormond, leaving his son with nothing, other than his own personal wealth.

This game is a lot of fun. I enjoy the various layers of the feudal system, and in particular the character oriented game-play. Now, if it only had Real Time Battles, it'd be even better...

So, how about you? Do you have any entertaining situations pop up in your game?

Default Re: Your Entertaining CK2 Situations

Forget everything else and read this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...e-best-DLC-yet
    "My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the Arsenal is no more, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of gooner-ship, but it is not this day. An hour of Spuds and shattered cannons when the Highbury Emirates comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of North London!"
    - Aragooner