Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkish PM Erdogan: "I am increasingly against the internet every day."

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Turkish PM Erdogan: "I am increasingly against the internet every day."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-9772048.html

The Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has defended his government’s efforts to control online speech, telling a press freedom conference: “I am increasingly against the Internet every day.”Mr Erdoğan’s comments came during an “unprecedented” meeting with the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) and the International Press Institute (IPI).

The meeting, which also included Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu and Minister of Justice Bekir Bozdağ, took place as the Turkish parliament voted on military action in Syria.

Turkey’s leaders "aggressively" defended its record on press freedom during the 90-minute conference, and criticised various media outlets for “polarising and distorting coverage of recent events” such as the Gezi Park anti-government rallies.

Local newspapers and major publications such as The New York Times and CNN International were among those slammed by officials, according to the CPJ.
    The Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has defended his government’s efforts to control online speech, telling a press freedom conference: “I am increasingly against the Internet every day.”

Mr Erdoğan’s comments came during an “unprecedented” meeting with the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) and the International Press Institute (IPI).

The meeting, which also included Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu and Minister of Justice Bekir Bozdağ, took place as the Turkish parliament voted on military action in Syria.
    Turkey’s leaders "aggressively" defended its record on press freedom during the 90-minute conference, and criticised various media outlets for “polarising and distorting coverage of recent events” such as the Gezi Park anti-government rallies.

Local newspapers and major publications such as The New York Times and CNN International were among those slammed by officials, according to the CPJ. "Media should never have been given the liberty to insult," Mr Erdoğan was quoted as saying during the 90-minute meeting.

He also expressed concern that criminal and terrorist organisations such as the Islamic State go online to recruit followers, saying he is "increasingly against" the internet.

Boo. The freaking. Hoo.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno

Default Re: Turkish PM Erdogan: "I am increasingly against the internet every day."

The reasons listed...i just... so much fail. That has to be the flimsiest pretext yet for a want-to-be dictator to begin curtailing freedom of information and speech in his prospective kingdom. It's like these modern autocrats don't even try anymore
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Turkish PM Erdogan: "I am increasingly against the internet every day."

He's the President now, Thanatos!

And it seems that Erdogan is increasingly against any freedom every day, but good luck getting the usual goonsquad for freedom in other countries to talk about it.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time

It's hilarious, because he even looks like a mini-Hitler. Look at that 'stache, man.

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

Hasn't he already banned Twitter, or am I wrong here?
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

I'm really disappointed they are not in the EU, it would have been hilarious as an outsider.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

He plays to his base, which apparently is large enough to keep him elected.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    He plays to his base, which apparently is large enough to keep him elected.
    Erdogan...proof that democracy and a fully free press do not always go hand in hand. One can be divorced from the other, or at least Erdogan is attempting to do that and count on the fact that his base will remain ignorant about his monumental nepotism and corruption. Of course, curtailing freedoms of the press and access to the Internet is all part and parcel of keeping his base ignorant.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    I'm really disappointed they are not in the EU, it would have been hilarious as an outsider.
    This is actually a very good point, i'd be amused to see how the EU reconciles things like this from Erdogan, and yet still both states are engaged in the EU accession negotiations:

http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/coun...y/index_en.htm

As you can see their literally carrying on regardless. Does the EU ignore the recent statements from Erdogan regardless -This isn't the first time he's done something like this), this article rather sums it up nicely- It's not that Erdogan isn't a dictator... more that he aspires to be one, but faces opposition from the democratic infrastructure of Turkey.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/orig...lections.html#

Or should there be a serious re-look at Turkey's admission to the EU under it's current leader. Who apparently is quite popular?
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

One could argue that for humanitarian reasons, having Turkey in the EU might do them some good in preventing real abuse of power in the future. Turkey is one of those countries that feels like it could go "either way" but thats only as a complete outsider.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros_Kalmpou View Post
    Hasn't he already banned Twitter, or am I wrong here?
    Yes but I think the courts overturned the ban.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Don't need Turkey to join for that. Hungary is attempting to head in that direction at a slower pace.
    "If I have done any noble action, that is a sufficient memorial; if I have done nothing noble, all the statues in the world will not preserve my memory."
    - Agesilaus II of Sparta

"Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy."
    - Isaac Newton

Indefinitely Banned

Hail Erdogan!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Wasn't Hungarian PM said the similar thing last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Still Turkey is in far better position today compared to the 90s or the 80s

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Still Turkey is in far better position today compared to the 90s or the 80s
    Erdogan is the best leader in Turkish history without a single question. Do you have any idea what are they doing? People's life changed in better way, far far better. Do you have any idea what changed and still changing in Turkey?

kemalists era is done! Hail Erdogan and New Turkey.

If Erdogan leave Turkey the kemalists again, they will ban more things than Erdogan do. Erdogan removing bans in Turkey and those bloody kemalists are minority. They keep whining about Erdogan and wanting help from "Civilized" countries. Like Davutoglu said "We are grandchildren of Ahiyan-ı Rum and Bacıyan-ı Rum (Brothers of Rome and Sisters of Rome)

In short, 4th Rome is coming, be ready!
    Last edited by PlPs; October 03, 2014 at 01:17 PM.

Since Moscow is supposedly Rome Number Three, Putin may throw a wrench in that scheme.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

sevisenturk's Avatar Foederatus

nothing new here. he hates the internet because he can't control it. His party is even employing internet trolls for around 20 dollars a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Yes but I think the courts overturned the ban.
    The last court which can still oppose their nutty decisions and overturn them is under attacj currently, they're trying to replace current members with their own.

Quote Originally Posted by PlPs View Post
    Like Davutoglu said "We are grandchildren of Ahiyan-ı Rum and Bacıyan-ı Rum (Brothers of Rome and Sisters of Rome)

In short, 4th Rome is coming, be ready!
    I find this horribly ironic.....

My shameful truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast