Thread: Questions of an uninformed regarding a dynamic AOR

Default Questions of an uninformed regarding a dynamic AOR

Hey there,

is it possible to include a trigger or some event similar to the Marius reforms to "upgrade" the AOR? I am playing the Hephtalites and want to take over the steppes (and replace the Huns as a threat to Europe) rather than invading Sassanid Persia but I cannot recrute the elite or advanced cavalry farther then Campus_Sythia. I know it's supposed to be historical, but wouldn't it still be realistic that recruiting structures could change over the course of time with Hephtalite populations growing and thus expanding their culture/warfare?

Are the natural boundaries intended for the sake of balance or why can't I access or fight in those marvellous woods of Russia or invade the Hunnic Empire without having to cross Armenia or Nothern Iran (I know you can ship/sail from Campus_Sythia)?

regards

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Default Re: Questions of an uninformed regarding a dynamic AOR

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion
    Hey there,

is it possible to include a trigger or some event similar to the Marius reforms to "upgrade" the AOR? I am playing the Hephtalites and want to take over the steppes (and replace the Huns as a threat to Europe) rather than invading Sassanid Persia but I cannot recrute the elite or advanced cavalry farther then Campus_Sythia. I know it's supposed to be historical, but wouldn't it still be realistic that recruiting structures could change over the course of time with Hephtalite populations growing and thus expanding their culture/warfare?
    very good point and something w/c I wanted to address w/ recruitment depending on availability of a building
    hidden resources are static, while a building can be built (by choice, or by script) so for instance, requiring a building 'roman_culture' to build milites, for example, after capturing a new region for first few years ud be reliant on local auxiliaries but after a few years (when building is built) u can recruit the milites. (the local auxiliaries can also have a 'and not roman_culture' line and makes them unrecruitable w/ the roman_culture present).
    the same can be true w/ barbarians, make them able to recruit these roman-like units only in a settlement w/ roman_culture.
    This essentially makes the romanization, barbarization, slavicization, etc of regions possible.
    so u could simply add 'hephthalitization' or whatever there
    however, I couldn't get this to work and I really don't know why... I was also thinking of trigerring a 'marian_reform' type event and probably make huns more difficult to manage after, make some factions have ability to build better units (barbarians mostly) or better buildings, but unfortunately I don't know how to trigger 'marian_reforms' I mean what files I should edit to make the 'marian_reforms' happen under certain conditions... am still thinking of this but is not foremost in my mind at present

Are the natural boundaries intended for the sake of balance or why can't I access or fight in those marvellous woods of Russia or invade the Hunnic Empire without having to cross Armenia or Nothern Iran (I know you can ship/sail from Campus_Sythia)?
    I didn't want the Huns moving too far east, or the Hephthalites moving too far west thru steppes, or both factions getting involved in warfare w/ each other (thereby weakening them).
    also done to force the Hephthalites to go attack Sassies, or India

regards
    cheers
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

Mylae's Avatar Memento Mori

Default Re: Questions of an uninformed regarding a dynamic AOR

i was doing some research about marian reform too.
    p.s.: RGyG, in a couple of days i will give you a primary beta file. however, there's a big problem. the IBFD script now makes impossible, during the game, to save or to load games.
    i will try to fix it.... i think there is some prologue related stuff.
    Extravagant developer of Invasio Barbarorum: Flagellum Dei; Developer of Paeninsula Italica
    Creator of the XV-Century Machiavello Total War Mod (2.0) for M2TW

Honorabilis Gaius Baltar est mihi patronum.