Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaziel's Romans: Early Republic * V.1.0 * (Updated: 1/10/2014) * LIVE *

Foederatus

Default Re: Kaziel's Romans: Early Republic * V.1.0 * (Updated: 1/10/2014) * LIVE *

Yay! They look badass! I love the wooden spine both with and without the dark frame. With the dark frame it certainly makes them more striking.

Default Re: Kaziel's Romans: Early Republic * V.1.0 * (Updated: 1/10/2014) * LIVE *

The dark wood ridge fits better into the red-ish look of the shield. But the outer frame is a bit too much for me, red frame is still better (Again you are the master, this is just a humble opinion). I took a look at the vanilla screenshots and the ridge is almost black, so I think either leave it red like you did before, or make it even darker and see how it turns out. Somehow the vanilla ridge has some kind of copper/bronze to it, which like you said, is totally wrong.

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Why not just do some kind of blend of these different types you've made so far? Surely there would have been some variety in the individual shields even though the overall patterns/symbols would have been the same? Could help make it look more "non-uniform-but-still-a-bit-uniform". Or it could look like crap, what do I know, haha.

XIIICaesar's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus183 View Post
    Why not just do some kind of blend of these different types you've made so far? Surely there would have been some variety in the individual shields even though the overall patterns/symbols would have been the same? Could help make it look more "non-uniform-but-still-a-bit-uniform". Or it could look like crap, what do I know, haha.
    I second that idea

Dux_Zeugma's Avatar Civis

Nay (last colour shield).

Your work is fantastic but i have some suggestions:

- rework your coolus helmet.
    this is very nice style example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=254854468

thank a lot again for your work
    Last edited by Dux_Zeugma; October 18, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux_Zeugma View Post
    Nay (last colour shield).

Your work is fantastic but i have some suggestions:

- rework your coolus helmet.
    this is very nice style example: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=254854468

thank a lot again for your work
    I'm not being bias, but you suggestion is really not constructive at all. Your "example" is another mod of another person, each modder has different style and reference you can't tell one to just follow another. And the suggestion of: "Rework you coolus helmet" is also not informative. Why do you want it to be reworked? Is there something wrong with the design somewhere? Or it's just not being the same with the one in your example? Maybe if you provide "example" as some historical source, then that'd be a valid suggestion. Otherwise just go download and use the mod from your "example"

they look great the but in my opinion you should use just one type of helmets

I personally still prefer those ones:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But it's only my opinion. I think light wooden spines would look fine mixed with painted leather ones. Now about the last prototypes with black edges, I think they look great but rather for a specific legion than generic legionaries: I think the full red with yellow wings is the best option for generic legionary units as it talks to everybody. Once again, it's just my own opinion ^^

Quote Originally Posted by diego007 View Post
    I'm not being bias, but you suggestion is really not constructive at all. Your "example" is another mod of another person, each modder has different style and reference you can't tell one to just follow another. And the suggestion of: "Rework you coolus helmet" is also not informative. Why do you want it to be reworked? Is there something wrong with the design somewhere? Or it's just not being the same with the one in your example? Maybe if you provide "example" as some historical source, then that'd be a valid suggestion. Otherwise just go download and use the mod from your "example"
    Diego, you are right we can also philosophize ...
    It's just a opinion, a suggestion with a example no more....

Quote Originally Posted by Dux_Zeugma View Post
    Diego, you are right we can also philosophize ...
    It's just a opinion, a suggestion with a example no more....
    Of course it's your opinion. I'm just thinking that if you want to suggest him to completely rework something that he has been spending time to perfect, you should at least give him some starting point to look back on his work, like I said, maybe the detail is not clear, the lightning is not good, etc.

What I mean is that if you want your suggestion to be carried out, something like "make it better" isn't really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by diego007 View Post
    Of course it's your opinion. I'm just thinking that if you want to suggest him to completely rework something that he has been spending time to perfect, you should at least give him some starting point to look back on his work, like I said, maybe the detail is not clear, the lightning is not good, etc.

What I mean is that if you want your suggestion to be carried out, something like "make it better" isn't really helpful.
    Sure, you are rigth.

Thanks all for the feedback. In light of Zeugma's comment about the helmet I took a break from the shields
    and worked on the Coolus. I agree that the cheek guards were badly designed and that is why I dropped them
    out of Kaziel's Romans 4.0 after running out of time to improve them.

Zeugma, the author of the mod you linked used the cheek guards from the Hellenic Konos model. I decided to
    do the same thing except I made it all from scratch. So essentially I turned the Konos cheek guards into what
    you see in the screens below. Thanks for the comment. Without you bringing it up, I probably wouldn't have
    bothered improving it!

First of all let's see where the the start of the Coolus journey was:

Now the final look of the Early Coolus:

I think it looks great now, not perfect, but pretty nice. Back to the shields...

oh my, it's beautiful Octavian, just how I always wished it to be. Nice work

About the new helmet, it feels like the cheek guard is attached to/drawn onto/glued to the face like some kind of tattoo. Maybe because it lacks a bit of shadow (on the face?) or lightning to create the illusion of separation from the face? Or maybe make the "border" clearer? Looks unrealistic atm. The details on it is perfect though. Just my opinion, you are the master here.

This is what I'm talking about, the guard looks like it's sticking to his face.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	315891
    Last edited by diego007; October 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

XIIICaesar's Avatar Senator

The helmets look way better now

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

yup, cheekguards were always tied to the chin when helmet was worn. CA forgot this one simple but vital detail and had to rely on modders to correct there mistakes (as per usual).

Great job +reps

Thank you Octavian and your work on the coolus helmet is very nice

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

And the 2014 Coolus award goes to this mofo right here. When I saw him link that mod the first thing I though was "damn I wish Octavian would make his own take on that" and what do you know. Haha, kickass man... kickass.

In the future if Octavian wants to work on the Augustan units again, he should also check out reworking the Gallic helmet. I pretty much did the same thing with the coolus here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=254965238

He is the chosen