Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaziel's Romans: Early Republic * V.1.0 * (Updated: 1/10/2014) * LIVE *

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Kaziel's Romans: Early Republic * V.1.0 * (Updated: 1/10/2014) * LIVE *

Probably one of the new ones? Like the one Octavian uses?

Default Re: Kaziel's Romans: Early Republic * V.1.0 * (Updated: 1/10/2014) * LIVE *

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus183 View Post
    Probably one of the new ones? Like the one Octavian uses?
    Nope.. But I'm curious, what new helmet does Octavian wear? I thought all the new Augustan characters
    wear that "Scipio" mesh you wanted me to use ages ago...

Yeah it's basically that one with some minor tweaks. I'm glad it isn't that one though cause it looks horrible, haha. But hmm, some kind of montefortino or a konoss? No clue at this point.

Yeah it's basically that one with some minor tweaks. I'm glad it isn't that one though cause it looks horrible, haha. But hmm, some kind of montefortino or a konoss? No clue at this point.
    Yea same, never liked that model either, too toy like imho. I'll start on the helmet and then you'll see which one I'm talking about...
    How about Pegasus guys? Anyone object?

XIIICaesar's Avatar Senator

Go die it. It makes since considering hellenic influence & all

Quote Originally Posted by XIIICaesar View Post
    Go die it. It makes since considering hellenic influence & all
    Ok, I'll go with Pegasus then for the Bronze Helmet.

I had an idea to create full Iron Binding for the Republican Scuta. Just finished and here's my first test...
    I think it looks okay;

Maybe it needs a slightly stronger shine and maybe a little sharpening too.

The full shield binding looks awesome! It really feels like the illustrations of Caesar's troops in my opinion

I aslo think a figure like Pegasus is a plausible thing in Roman art, we know that upper Roman classes and artists were fond of Greek stuff, so yeah, I would say the same.

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

The shield bindings look really good. Better then the other border design imo. Now all we need is someone saying the Praetorians are missing purple capes.

I would rather be partial to red if someone was so inclined.

I think it looks ok. But it has some really weird feeling on it imo. Maybe I'm used to the old not so much metal binding design, or maybe like you said it needs some polishing, idk. Something just prevents it from looking perfect like your regular masterpieces.

Sharpen it yeah. But the shine is fine. If you polish it anymore it'll stand out too much from the metal surrounding the shield

Quote Originally Posted by Manu La Canette View Post
    The full shield binding looks awesome! It really feels like the illustrations of Caesar's troops in my opinion

I aslo think a figure like Pegasus is a plausible thing in Roman art, we know that upper Roman classes and artists were fond of Greek stuff, so yeah, I would say the same.
    Thanks for the compliment. +1 for Pegasus, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    The shield bindings look really good. Better then the other border design imo. Now all we need is someone saying the Praetorians are missing purple capes.

I would rather be partial to red if someone was so inclined.
    Yea someone else also mentioned the inner white line as not looking good, so I had a re-look and re-design, have a look below for progress.
    Also are you trynna get me to put capes on the Praetorian? According to my research, capes weren't really worn in battle as they get in the
    way, but if you guys really want it, sure I can put red capes on... so red capes then?

Quote Originally Posted by diego007 View Post
    I think it looks ok. But it has some really weird feeling on it imo. Maybe I'm used to the old not so much metal binding design, or maybe like you said it needs some polishing, idk. Something just prevents it from looking perfect like your regular masterpieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by XIIICaesar View Post
    Sharpen it yeah. But the shine is fine. If you polish it anymore it'll stand out too much from the metal surrounding the shield
    Yea there was some spice missing, I've improved it slightly. At the moment (in the screenshots) it is just a tad bit too shinny, but I'll fix it

Have a look at these images:

Ok so instead of the Painted White Line, I'm going for an Illusion of there being a ridge line under the leather/paint. Prototype:

Now I'm trying to figure out how I want to proceed with the Middle Ridge/Spine. Do I want to keep it as an Illusion of Paint/Leather
    covering it or do I want to turn it into unpainted wood and thus to make it stand out more? What do you guys think?

Haha this last tweak was just what I wanted to tell you yesterday but then I was like "nah, it's too damn complicated, get over it", and you juste made it!

I personally think the mid ridge is just fine how it looks, having it more visible or different color/texture would look weird imo. Just my thought. The shields are just perfect to me right now x)

Just an idea aslo: I think bronze variation for the umbo and binding would be cool, but I also know this is hard work so yeah, just sayin' haha xD
    Last edited by Manu La Canette; October 18, 2014 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu La Canette View Post
    Haha this last tweak was just what I wanted to tell you yesterday but then I was like "nah, it's too damn complicated, get over it", and you juste made it!

I personally think the mid ridge is just fine how it looks, having it more visible or different color/texture would look weird imo. Just my thought. The shields are just perfect to me right now x)

Just an idea aslo: I think bronze variation for the umbo and binding would be cool, but I also know this is hard work so yeah, just sayin' haha xD
    It would've been easier to do and would look better if I still had 3DSMax, but you can do a lot of tricks with just Photoshop!

I've already tried brass (not very far from bronze) binding and looks fine, but the issue is the umbo in brass does not look good. Not in this
    Mesh form anyway, so I skipped it for these scuta which do not use the brass/bronze spiral/drill middle ridge/spine that I gave to the praetorian scuta.
    I don't know, I got an Arsenal match to watch tonight, so before then, I'll try to create a prototype with a wooden spine and post it to see what you guys
    think (maybe)

Foederatus

Quick question: What unit is that in the screenshots? The shields look legionnaire but the crests make me think evocati. Either way they look incredible as per usual! CA should freaking hire you already!

Quote Originally Posted by iRoygbiv View Post
    Quick question: What unit is that in the screenshots? The shields look legionnaire but the crests make me think evocati. Either way they look incredible as per usual! CA should freaking hire you already!
    Hehe thanks for the kind words man

It's actually the Praetorian unit. I just finished doing those Iron and Brass Attics and was about to start on their shields but started tinkering
    the base again (before I start on Praetorian emblems). These prototypes use the base legio emblem as it's small and clean to better see the
    little details and the bigger picture when testing.

EDIT:

Ok here's a preview of what a plain old wooden piece for the spine looks like:

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Kaziel; October 18, 2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Update on Scutum

Both mid ridges look really good in a different way. I dont like one over another. But logically speaking, leaving the mid ridge unpainted is strange. Considering the shield is covered nicely in painted leather, why would they leave the ridge bare. Just my opinion anyway, you are the master here. If you want a ridge as something "bare", maybe make it metal or something?

Both mid ridges look really good in a different way. I dont like one over another. But logically speaking, leaving the mid ridge unpainted is strange. Considering the shield is covered nicely in painted leather, why would they leave the ridge bare.
    I agree with what he's saying here. Seems strange to me that they would just leave it unpainted and sort of "break the pattern" from being a full red with an emblem by having some split in the middle of it. I'd say have it painted as well but that's just me.

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

Both look good so I suppose it comes down to personal preference. Leaving the mid ridge unpainted for Marian units might give a different flair to differ them from the Imperial units. I really cant say for sure because the unpainted mid ridge might be too prominent with the blue veteran unit shields. As far as capes go, I just got finished playing a Macedon campaign and liked how the Companion units had a "elite" look with the capes that none of the normal units had. I always thought a red cape/cloak would be not too far of a stretch to give the Praetorians that same "elite guard" look. They probably didn't wear them going into battle but if your Praetorians end up like mine, they just sit behind the line next to the General unit looking pretty and only get used under dire circumstances. Other then the helmet, there is nothing really to differentiate between them and normal soldiers. This is also a minor detail that may not matter much to others so do not take time doing something just to appease one or two people, especially when historical accuracy is your main goal. For example, I preferred the braccae on the Marian legions but can respect and understand your design decisions. Just my two cents.

Wooden some with iron looks awesome & send more realistic

Both mid ridges look really good in a different way. I dont like one over another. But logically speaking, leaving the mid ridge unpainted is strange. Considering the shield is covered nicely in painted leather, why would they leave the ridge bare. Just my opinion anyway, you are the master here. If you want a ridge as something "bare", maybe make it metal or something?
    I agree with what he's saying here. Seems strange to me that they would just leave it unpainted and sort of "break the pattern" from being a full red with an emblem by having some split in the middle of it. I'd say have it painted as well but that's just me.
    True true... but I've seen a couple of examples with a bare piece of wood there, although it's a very dark wood,
    like dark rosewood or ebony;

I don't think the spines were ever made of metal so that's out of the question. Thanks
    for the feedback and check out the ones below please

Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    Both look good so I suppose it comes down to personal preference. Leaving the mid ridge unpainted for Marian units might give a different flair to differ them from the Imperial units. I really cant say for sure because the unpainted mid ridge might be too prominent with the blue veteran unit shields. As far as capes go, I just got finished playing a Macedon campaign and liked how the Companion units had a "elite" look with the capes that none of the normal units had. I always thought a red cape/cloak would be not too far of a stretch to give the Praetorians that same "elite guard" look. They probably didn't wear them going into battle but if your Praetorians end up like mine, they just sit behind the line next to the General unit looking pretty and only get used under dire circumstances. Other then the helmet, there is nothing really to differentiate between them and normal soldiers. This is also a minor detail that may not matter much to others so do not take time doing something just to appease one or two people, especially when historical accuracy is your main goal. For example, I preferred the braccae on the Marian legions but can respect and understand your design decisions. Just my two cents.
    Don't worry capes are easy to just slap on, mine were textured last year. I'll put them on the Praetorians, I'm sure 90% players would
    like that anyway. If you don't know how to use PFM already, you should learn a bit of it. Everything in my packs are clearly marked for
    peeps who like to tinker, so adding the old Braccae I made from KR4.0 to the new pack is easy. I have a feeling Maximus183 is into the
    3/4 pants for Legionaries so he may already be ready to do it at release, so ask him too

I really want to try to make the spine look more separate than the rest of the body as that's what the original author intended. I re-textured
    them ages ago to give the illusion of painted leather over the whole body, not separate pieces (apart from the binding and boss). I don't want
    to fight it this time and am trying to make it work. So I'm gonna try some prototypes and see if I can make the shields look more interesting.
    Here I've had the "Legionaries paint an outer frame that's almost black, and a dark wood for a spine"... I may make the spine a more "painted
    black" instead... I dunno, I need a break haha

Yay or nay?
    Last edited by Kaziel; October 18, 2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added picture.