Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ****SPQR Total War 9.0 RELEASED!****

Default Re: ****SPQR Total War 9.0 RELEASED!****

I think I found a problem. The skirmishers are incredibly overpowered or the cavalry got even more nerfed. I had my 2 units of equites almost decimated in the battle against Teophanes. He was already dead but his troops were still fighting, pretty normal, they are all silver chevrons. The anormal part was my two equites supported by a hastati having a lot of casualities against a lone unit of numidian skirmishers. This never happened in 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956 View Post
    Yes you can do that, but the problem is they will conquer the other nations, this would give you super powers again. The script was designed to prevent Super Powers so the Roman Player can fight Each faction, otherwise what is the point of having Pontus if if the Greeks always conquer them?

Certain factions in SPQR are "Buffer" factions which prevent the other faction that can attack everyone from spreading out. Egypt is an example of a faction that can attack anyone, but Seleucid is a buffer to prevent it attacking Parthia and Parthia in turn can attack everyone, but Armenia buffers it. So when the Roman play takes those areas they get a surprise with an Aggressive Faction and not passive like the others.

Alexander.exe allows this feature, but only in the addons folder, you cannot do a mod folder and have it work, I tried. So there are a lot of advanced behind the scenes changes to make the gameplay better, which is why someone that just plays a little misses what makes SPQR special. ;-)
    mind telling me which files i need to edit? i kinda like having a dynamic faction map when it comes to differing factions

Hi just want to register and say thanks to your new mod. Been a long time Total War player but only play the Vanilla version. Got a chance to play the new Rome::2 during the free weekend on steam but found it totally odd (the campaign gui, city management gone and unit desc pics...) and strange(units run so fast on battle field) also the graphics requirement is just too high. It's just didn't feel fun to play on it. I quit after two games. So instead I bought the old Rome(also in sale, lost the old copy but it's just 15 for my country) and happen to found this nice mod just out in time. Have been enjoying it since. Now on 205BC, taking sicily, and facing 6 stacks of Greeks, one stack even had three Spartans unit in them. I can foresee Heroic battle coming. Also no crashes so far. All in all thanks for the effort and great mod.

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

just a quick question, maybe some thread already exists containing this info...

How does promotions work... meaning if a captain gains heroic victory what chances are that he gets promoted to general?

----------------------------
    Age quod agis

Just installed this mod, is rome supposed to start off at war with all the other factions in the game?

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Yes. Romans are allied only with the SPQR (the Senate or Rome) and at war with everyone else. There is no diplomacy here... only war.

Age quod agis

acmarques;

I just did a test with Regular Skirmishers for Greece against Equites and they killed them with no problem. None of the changes in SPQR 9.0 should effect Skirmishers. Only the Spear units are effected by the changes, in other words the problem you speak of would have been the same in SPQR 8.0 also. lol

Shmanky;

In the Data\scripts\show_me\SPQR_script.txt remove the following and though they are allied they will eventually betray one another and attack.

monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType slave
    console_command diplomatic_stance dacia gauls allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance dacia germans allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance dacia greek_cities allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance dacia macedon allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance macedon greek_cities allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance germans gauls allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance carthage egypt allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance seleucid egypt allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance armenia parthia allied
    console_command diplomatic_stance thrace romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance armenia romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance seleucid romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance carthage romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance germans romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance macedon romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance dacia romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance egypt romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance greek_cities romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance parthia romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance gauls romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance pontus romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance scythia romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance britons romans_julii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance thrace romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance armenia romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance seleucid romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance carthage romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance germans romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance macedon romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance dacia romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance egypt romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance greek_cities romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance parthia romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance gauls romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance pontus romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance scythia romans_scipii war
    console_command diplomatic_stance britons romans_scipii war
    end_monitor

highend79; I am glad you like the mod. :-)

Saspio; I am not sure to be honest, I never bothered trying to edit them, I think they may be hardcoded.

alithelin; Yes you are suppose to start off at war, its not Called SPQR total war for nothing? Diplomacy is broke in RTW, I basically threw it out to make a more challenging and fun experience playing Rome.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by highend79 View Post
    Hi just want to register and say thanks to your new mod. Been a long time Total War player but only play the Vanilla version. Got a chance to play the new Rome::2 during the free weekend on steam but found it totally odd (the campaign gui, city management gone and unit desc pics...) and strange(units run so fast on battle field) also the graphics requirement is just too high. It's just didn't feel fun to play on it. I quit after two games. So instead I bought the old Rome(also in sale, lost the old copy but it's just 15 for my country) and happen to found this nice mod just out in time. Have been enjoying it since. Now on 205BC, taking sicily, and facing 6 stacks of Greeks, one stack even had three Spartans unit in them. I can foresee Heroic battle coming. Also no crashes so far. All in all thanks for the effort and great mod.
    SPQR mod is so polished. And tough. I have been playing it since 6.4 and I never ever finished. I am a slow player, taking time and controling my empire, but every time i was like at 1/2 the new version comes out The final version I will finish for sure I just started to play... i defeated Hanibal and Theopones with clear victories and pushed the Gauls back north of the river. Now when i thought all was well the freaking Greeks landed in South Italy. Since I moved my legions to the north I have nobody to defend in the south with plus I didnt build towers yet and now I dont know where they are. Plus my cities dont have palisades and in this turn I have no money buying them ... wonder how this will turn out

Age quod agis

Quote Originally Posted by Saspio View Post
    just a quick question, maybe some thread already exists containing this info...

How does promotions work... meaning if a captain gains heroic victory what chances are that he gets promoted to general?
    i don't believe the battle outcome has much to do with it. it's moreso influenced by your governors/regions controlled ratio, i.e. if you're short on family members while holding a lot of regions you're more likely to have a general promoted.
    Shmanky;

In the Data\scripts\show_me\SPQR_script.txt remove the following and though they are allied they will eventually betray one another and attack.
    thanks a ton man

Saspio, Always built palisades right off the bat, this is what I do and it prevents losing a City overnight. You will probably lose a city or two before you can respond. But you can take it back. lol

Shmanky, No problem, that should prevent peace all the time thus allowing more aggressive attacks between factions, but you will lose some factions thereby getting the super faction effect, most likely being the Greeks or Macedonians.
    Lt_1956

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Saspio, Always built palisades right off the bat, this is what I do and it prevents losing a City overnight. You will probably lose a city or two before you can respond. But you can take it back. lol
    I was lucky !! The greek army disembarked, and next turn went on the ships again. Not its cruising around looking for my "softspot". I raised two legions to defend the southern Italy and buit palisades to prevent them from capturing my cities right away.

Age quod agis

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

my best result so far

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

man i love bridge battles ;D

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

i have to say bridge battles are the only house rules i disregard, its just far too much fun lol.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Same here ... its necessary evil. With the amount of men Gauls are throwing at you I really see no other solution. Plus its a good way to "train" your generals. But keep in mind that this battles are buggy. I had several CTD and weird AI play in bridge battles without paved roads (bridge).

Age quod agis

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

tbh i never really encountered anything terribly buggy other than the ai simply throwing his entire army down the bridge lol and of course it slows the computer down a lot thanks to all the men in a tight space, other than that if your GPU RAM can take it its all good.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Depends on your system specs.
    Lt_1956

Can I install 9.0 over 8.0? I am a bit lazy to reinstall the whole game now....

gonna say most likely yes

Yes, as long as you didn't have other mod files also.
    Lt_1956

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast