Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast

Thread: [Official Submod] XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Divide et Impera (DeI) Ed. ***6-6-2016 UPDATE***

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [Official Submod] XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Divide et Impera (DeI) Ed. ***11-16-2015 UPDATE***

Thumbs up

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: [Official Submod] XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Divide et Impera (DeI) Ed. ***11-16-2015 UPDATE***

Caesar, your plan makes good sense to me.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

XIIICaesar's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [Official Submod] XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Divide et Impera (DeI) Ed. ***6-6-2016 UPDATE***

Update has been uploaded and links updated in OP. Remember to start a new game. Its not save-game compatible. I still have to tweak the Caesarean shield design a little and do the rigged_models & variants for the Imperial shields; the Imperial designs themselves are finished. I still need to do the standard bearer shields & banners as well. I've only tested this in custom battles. The campaigns should work though. Please report any bugs.

Default Re: [Official Submod] XIIICaesar's Legions of Rome - Divide et Impera (DeI) Ed. ***6-6-2016 UPDATE***

gj

nashpik's Avatar Libertus

Thanks Caesar for the update.
    Personally, I will wait a bit more for the finished work.
    Keep up the awesome job.

P.S. The final version will be save game compatible with this update?
    Last edited by nashpik; June 06, 2016 at 01:37 PM.

One more thing Caesar.
    It will be epic if you can do the unit cards for Marian and Imperial legions matching the Caesarean ones.
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by nashpik View Post
    One more thing Caesar.
    It will be epic if you can do the unit cards for Marian and Imperial legions matching the Caesarean ones.
    Thanks mate.
    I will tackle that once I'm done with the mods shields and unit textures. Maybe before then but planning to do them last.

Thanks Caesar for the update.
    Personally, I will wait a bit more for the finished work.
    Keep up the awesome job.

P.S. The final version will be save game compatible with this update?
    This version is save-game compatible if you've already started a campaign with the 6-6-16 version.

Quote Originally Posted by martin4 View Post
    gj
    Thanks dude.

***CHANGELOG UPDATES***

Imperial shields have been added. Reworked the normal maps for shields with metal designs so that they have depth. Reworked half of the Caesarean shield (still gotta do the other half) designs to simplify their designs with animals based off of their legionary symbols. I thought this would reflect that these late republican legions were levied as need and not nessecarily a standing , professional force like that used by Octavian and forward. Some of them reflect the commander that levied them or their legion's symbol. Next up is the standard bearer shields and banners (after I finish the Caesarean shields rework).

Right now I'm working on the standard bearer shields and the unit cards in Rome I (DeI) style. Regular legions unit card will be the legionnaire and first cohort will be standard bearer. I just finished reworking all the Caesarean legion shields as well. I'm also working on the upgrade paths. For some of Marian they upgrade to whatever Imperial unit is also dominant in same area. Others I do upgrades to Imperial unit proximal to where their main base was or where they did a lot of fighting during Imperial era. I did this so that all Marian legions will upgrade to different Imperial units instead of multiple Marian upgrading to Dange one Imperial. This also encourages expanding your empire once Imperial reforms are reached to recruit new legions😉. I've also double checked unit stats and they seem to still match DeI. Also I've got to get the packs together for Radios and vanilla as well. When i get time I'll try to do a current AOR map for reference

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XIIICaesar View Post
    Right now I'm working on the standard bearer shields and the unit cards in Rome I (DeI) style. Regular legions unit card will be the legionnaire and first cohort will be standard bearer. I just finished reworking all the Caesarean legion shields as well. I'm also working on the upgrade paths. For some of Marian they upgrade to whatever Imperial unit is also dominant in same area. Others I do upgrades to Imperial unit proximal to where their main base was or where they did a lot of fighting during Imperial era. I did this so that all Marian legions will upgrade to different Imperial units instead of multiple Marian upgrading to Dange one Imperial. This also encourages expanding your empire once Imperial reforms are reached to recruit new legions. I've also double checked unit stats and they seem to still match DeI. Also I've got to get the packs together for Radios and vanilla as well. When i get time I'll try to do a current AOR map for reference

Great job Caesar

For some of Marian they upgrade to whatever Imperial unit is also dominant in same area. Others I do upgrades to Imperial unit proximal to where their main base was or where they did a lot of fighting during Imperial era. I did this so that all Marian legions will upgrade to different Imperial units instead of multiple Marian upgrading to Dange one Imperial.
    Caesar, I'm having trouble understanding this new upgrade scheme. Let's take Ist Germanica as an example. Currently, when the Imperial reforms hit, I would upgrade my Ist Germanica's Marian cohorts to Imperials by paying to upgrade those cohorts and now would have an Imperial Ist Germanica. Looking at the RSII recruiting scheme which you've been using until now, does the new scheme mean Ist Germanica would upgrade to say Ist Minervia and we'd then lose a legion? This rather than upgrading Ist Germanica and also being able to recruit Ist Minervia subsequent to the Imperial reforms?
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

Great job Caesar
    Thanx dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin247 View Post
    Caesar, I'm having trouble understanding this new upgrade scheme. Let's take Ist Germanica as an example. Currently, when the Imperial reforms hit, I would upgrade my Ist Germanica's Marian cohorts to Imperials by paying to upgrade those cohorts and now would have an Imperial Ist Germanica. Looking at the RSII recruiting scheme which you've been using until now, does the new scheme mean Ist Germanica would upgrade to say Ist Minervia and we'd then lose a legion? This rather than upgrading Ist Germanica and also being able to recruit Ist Minervia subsequent to the Imperial reforms?
    Actually, if memory serves correct, the way RSII worked when I played is different entirely from my previous system. BUT first things first, make sure if you're using any version after the November '15 version and backwards you started a new game. 2016 version and up will be save game compatible but you must start a new game the first time you use the 2016 versions if coming from the 2015. Refer to the changelog. I'm gonna start putting version numbers for the mod. In RSII Rome I there was no unit upgrading. Once you reached Imperial reforms you unlocked the Imperial unit but the Marian units were still recruitable too. That's how RSII achieved total 28 legions recruitable. What I'd done in previous versions was I had full 28 legions in Marian times and Imperial so that they upgraded as you say Leg I Ger Mar to Leg I Ger Imp. With the newer versions I started from scratch and just did RSII Mar units in Mar era and RSII Imp in Imp era. I was gonna do where Leg I Ger upgrades to Leg XII Fulm because in the areas RSII had Leg I Ger recruitable ported to Rome II provinces in Marian era the Leg XII Fulm is recruitable in those areas during Imp era. Now for some units such as Leg III Gal upgrade to Leg X Fret as RSII has each recruitable in entirely different map sections during each respective era so I thought III Gal fought in middle east around Syria and Isreal so it'll upgrade to Leg X Fret which is recruitable in those areas during Imp era. This makes so that the player once reaching Imp era can demolish the barracks in most provinces where they were recruiting Mar legions as they wont be recruitable in those areas any longer during Imp era. It frees up the building slots for other things and also pushes the play to erect new barracks in provinces that were located in the traditional empires boundaries as these will during Imperial era be the only places you can recruit legions by that point. Its the best meet-me-halfway kinda thing I could do to balance historical accuracy with the upgrades with gameplay balance too.

??? FOR EVERYONE
    I can do the method for upgrades mentioned above or there is another option. Right now my plan was to have the RSII Mar legions in Mar era and once in Imp era the RSII Imp era only. Mar legions would upgrade into the Imp legions I've designated using methods explained above. Now I could do this: RSII Mar legions only during Mar era. Once Imp era is hit you'll get RSII Imp legions plus the RSII Mar legions only I'll have them using Imp models (shields/soldiers). That would mean your Leg I Ger Mar would upgrade to an Imp version of Leg I Ger and so on, so forth for other Mar legions once in Imp era PL;US RSII Imp legions as well. The CATCH: I'll have to port over the Mar shield designs to Imp shields. It'll take about a week. I can do it after I've done the standard shields I'm already started on. It will require a new campaign once uploaded though because it'll add x number of new units. I have no problem doing eityher this method or the method mentioned above. I actually think this method would be better than the route I was gonna take as it would make more sense both gameplay wise and historically becaus ethe RSII Mar legions were still around during Imperial times.

Quote Originally Posted by XIIICaesar View Post
    Thanx dude.

Actually, if memory serves correct, the way RSII worked when I played is different entirely from my previous system. BUT first things first, make sure if you're using any version after the November '15 version and backwards you started a new game. 2016 version and up will be save game compatible but you must start a new game the first time you use the 2016 versions if coming from the 2015. Refer to the changelog. I'm gonna start putting version numbers for the mod. In RSII Rome I there was no unit upgrading. Once you reached Imperial reforms you unlocked the Imperial unit but the Marian units were still recruitable too. That's how RSII achieved total 28 legions recruitable. What I'd done in previous versions was I had full 28 legions in Marian times and Imperial so that they upgraded as you say Leg I Ger Mar to Leg I Ger Imp. With the newer versions I started from scratch and just did RSII Mar units in Mar era and RSII Imp in Imp era. I was gonna do where Leg I Ger upgrades to Leg XII Fulm because in the areas RSII had Leg I Ger recruitable ported to Rome II provinces in Marian era the Leg XII Fulm is recruitable in those areas during Imp era. Now for some units such as Leg III Gal upgrade to Leg X Fret as RSII has each recruitable in entirely different map sections during each respective era so I thought III Gal fought in middle east around Syria and Isreal so it'll upgrade to Leg X Fret which is recruitable in those areas during Imp era. This makes so that the player once reaching Imp era can demolish the barracks in most provinces where they were recruiting Mar legions as they wont be recruitable in those areas any longer during Imp era. It frees up the building slots for other things and also pushes the play to erect new barracks in provinces that were located in the traditional empires boundaries as these will during Imperial era be the only places you can recruit legions by that point. Its the best meet-me-halfway kinda thing I could do to balance historical accuracy with the upgrades with gameplay balance too.

??? FOR EVERYONE
    I can do the method for upgrades mentioned above or there is another option. Right now my plan was to have the RSII Mar legions in Mar era and once in Imp era the RSII Imp era only. Mar legions would upgrade into the Imp legions I've designated using methods explained above. Now I could do this: RSII Mar legions only during Mar era. Once Imp era is hit you'll get RSII Imp legions plus the RSII Mar legions only I'll have them using Imp models (shields/soldiers). That would mean your Leg I Ger Mar would upgrade to an Imp version of Leg I Ger and so on, so forth for other Mar legions once in Imp era PL;US RSII Imp legions as well. The CATCH: I'll have to port over the Mar shield designs to Imp shields. It'll take about a week. I can do it after I've done the standard shields I'm already started on. It will require a new campaign once uploaded though because it'll add x number of new units. I have no problem doing eityher this method or the method mentioned above. I actually think this method would be better than the route I was gonna take as it would make more sense both gameplay wise and historically becaus ethe RSII Mar legions were still around during Imperial times.
    I think there is a simple solution to this problem.
    First thing first, you should release the version which you are working on right now( the one with upgradable Marian legions, that is compatible with 2016 release).
    Then, if it's asked for, the second version, which require a new game.
    Just my two cents on the matter.

P.S. Either way, I appreciate your work.

I think there is a simple solution to this problem.
    First thing first, you should release the version which you are working on right now( the one with upgradable Marian legions, that is compatible with 2016 release).
    Then, if it's asked for, the second version, which require a new game.
    Just my two cents on the matter.

P.S. Either way, I appreciate your work.
    Appreciated feedback too. As long as anyone has started a new game when they downloaded the 6/6/16 version then any version going forward will be save game compatible too. Now, if I'm not mistaken the next version will be too and not require a new game. Right now the current uploaded version is missing upgrades. When i upload the next update it'll have the upgrade dB table in the mod pack and contain Imperial versions of all the Marian legions. My theorising if that once you load your save game with the next update it'll just show the newly added Imperial version of Marian units as recruitable and you'll be able to upgrade the Marian units to their Imperial versions if you've already reached Imperial era. I'm already almost halfway through converting the Marian shield to Imperial shields. The riggedmodels and variants won't take long at all. The most tedious thing will be the dB files adding new units into the game but that still won't be too much work. Everyone should expect an update this weekend. Should be save game compatible as well and it'll have the unit upgrades restored as well as direct upgrades for Marian legions to their direct Imperial counterparts

Caesar, if you need any help with the DB tables, just pm me.
    I'm not an expert, but I learn pretty quickly.

Caesar, thanks for the explanation. I see what you're doing now and I guess I don't care one way or the other. With RSII, the map had so many more settlements than RII/Dei that it produced a lot more battles requiring many more legions. In my final RSII campaign, I logged over a thousand battles and needed 26 legions to man the empire's borders effectively. VIth Victrix and XXth Valeria Victrix, only recruitable in Spain become pretty useless as the war proceeds eastward which it inevitably does and get decommissioned pretty early.

Dei by comparison has averaged about 250 battles per campaign and the unit cap limits legions to a total of 16 at imperium level 8. There was a mod out for a while that has stopped working that brought the maximum up to 28, but I've never needed more than 15 in any of my Dei campaigns to date. In CiG, I think I finished with nine. I'm playing Augustus now with nine, but there's a lot of game play left to go.

So I guess as long as we can keep the ability to recruit the maximum 16, it doesn't make much difference how you want to go. It's your mod after all and my vote would be to make it easy on yourself whichever way that is.

Not to complicate your thinking, but some legions never updated to the lorica segmentata from hamata even after the Imperial reforms because of cost. The lorica segmentata armor was much more expensive not only because the solid steel bands were more costly, but the armor itself had to be much more custom fitted to the legionary than the hamata chain mail which could get by with more generic S/M/L sizes. Just a historical note that probably should be disregarded.

I prize your mod more than any other with which I play and my campaigns would not be anywhere near as much fun without it. I did not come over to RII/Dei from RSII until I saw that there was a mod giving named and numbered legions. It just makes a tremendous difference. So thanks again for all your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin247 View Post
    Caesar, thanks for the explanation. I see what you're doing now and I guess I don't care one way or the other. With RSII, the map had so many more settlements than RII/Dei that it produced a lot more battles requiring many more legions. In my final RSII campaign, I logged over a thousand battles and needed 26 legions to man the empire's borders effectively. VIth Victrix and XXth Valeria Victrix, only recruitable in Spain become pretty useless as the war proceeds eastward which it inevitably does and get decommissioned pretty early.

Dei by comparison has averaged about 250 battles per campaign and the unit cap limits legions to a total of 16 at imperium level 8. There was a mod out for a while that has stopped working that brought the maximum up to 28, but I've never needed more than 15 in any of my Dei campaigns to date. In CiG, I think I finished with nine. I'm playing Augustus now with nine, but there's a lot of game play left to go.

So I guess as long as we can keep the ability to recruit the maximum 16, it doesn't make much difference how you want to go. It's your mod after all and my vote would be to make it easy on yourself whichever way that is.

Not to complicate your thinking, but some legions never updated to the lorica segmentata from hamata even after the Imperial reforms because of cost. The lorica segmentata armor was much more expensive not only because the solid steel bands were more costly, but the armor itself had to be much more custom fitted to the legionary than the hamata chain mail which could get by with more generic S/M/L sizes. Just a historical note that probably should be disregarded.

I prize your mod more than any other with which I play and my campaigns would not be anywhere near as much fun without it. I did not come over to RII/Dei from RSII until I saw that there was a mod giving named and numbered legions. It just makes a tremendous difference. So thanks again for all your hard work.
    I'm already about halfway through porting over the Marian designs to Imperial shields. That way Marian units will just upgrade to the same legion but an imperial version. I might go ahead and do Marian version of Imperial designs too excretory for a few Imperial units that weren't founded until Imperial era
    Caesar, if you need any help with the DB tables, just pm me.
    I'm not an expert, but I learn pretty quickly.
    Appreciate it dude. If I need help I'll take you up on that offer.

Great news XIIICaesar! Appreciate your work!

Could you make the Caesarian Legions available in the CiG Campaign?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
    Great news XIIICaesar! Appreciate your work!

Could you make the Caesarian Legions available in the CiG Campaign?

Thanks
    They already are. I just double checked they are too confirm.

***EVERYONE***
    I'm finished converting the Marian designs to Imperial shields. I'm almost through converting the Imperial designs to Marian shields. Then I just have to do the standard bearer shields. I'll probably do an update before starting back on the standard bearer shields. It'll include 25 Marian legions that upgrade into Imperial versions as well as 3 additional Imperial legions, making a total of 28 Imperial legions. Also all the Caesarean shields will be updated designs and I'll have DeI style unit cards for all the units.

Last edited by XIIICaesar; June 18, 2016 at 05:23 AM.

Great, thanks!
    ALways thought Caesarian Legions were only available in Custom battles due to DeI scripts...that's great news though, can't wait for the next release

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
    Great, thanks!
    ALways thought Caesarian Legions were only available in Custom battles due to DeI scripts...that's great news though, can't wait for the next release
    No problem dude.

***EVERYONE***
    Next update is almost ready to upload. Just gotta do the unit cards. The shields are finished.