Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to have a perfect life

Default Re: How to have a perfect life

I'll roll this one bare bones and state the only perfect life is procreating.

Thats it. Your born, you , you die. Everything else in life is a means to enable that. Every soecies operates on this mindset. We aren't any different.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Staying positive tends to be a good generic advice for anyone.

Focus on the positive things on your life and don't dwell on the negative things. Whats done is done, bad things happen. But dont let them rule your life.
    You can mope and complain about the things that could have been, or you can embrace the things that give you joy in life that are right there within reach.

It's fine to have ambitions, but dont stare yourself blind on them. Dont have that attitude of "I can only be happy if I reach this or that goal in life!" Since then you just set yourself up to be miserable.
    Life does not tend to go as planned so the goal might be harder to obtain than you first thought. With persistence you could get there still, but when you feel good about yourself you likely will get more done than when you feel miserable.

DaniCatBurger's Avatar Centenarius

Alright says the cat.
    What does the cat speak like this?
    You shall hatch the brides and the snow
    with a pointed lead,
    You shall love the grey colour,
    to be under a clouded over sky.

Alright says the cat.
    You shall dress in the daily evening paper,
    in the sackcloth like a potato
    and turn this garment over and over,
    and never be in a new suit.

Alright says the cat.
    You shall scratch navy blue,
    The cherries, poppy and nosebleed,
    The colours, too,
    Disperse ash on geranium.

Further, the cat speaks like this.
    You shall (subsist on) kidney, milt and liver,
    Breathless, sour lungs,
    Reins' un-soaked claptrap,
    Ancient milt, chewy speak up liver
    Grey pan - you shall live just like this.

And you shall write asceticism
    with your pointed lead
    on walls where once ceaseless
    Greenish paintings chew the cud.
    Alright says the cat: Write asceticism.

G. Grass

My attempt of a paraphrase replaces the translation I haven't found, yet.
    The bad English goes on my account. I beg your pardon.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

How can one write poems after Auschwitz again? The question had been asked by Adorno early in the fifties. Günter Grass answered him with this poem, by which he accommodated Adorno and disproved him likewise.
    Hubert Spiegel FAZ 24.04.2015
    Last edited by DaniCatBurger; August 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM.
    שנאה היא לא ערך, גזענות היא לא הדרך

Praeses

The word "perfect" comes from the Latin perfectus meaning complete or well done.

For a well done life set your oven to 180' Celsius, allow 1 hour cooking time for every 3 kilos. If you live in country that doesn't use the metric system good luck and have another burger.

For a pain-free (or passionless) life anaesthesia is an option.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Samraat Mahendra Maurya View Post
    Get rid of all your desires and lamentations.
    You'll have a perfect life

When I say perfect, I mean, without suffering

So you can practically remove suffering by getting rid of all your desires and lamentations and it is perfect in that sense!

Of course, Suffering is the nature of this world and we cant enjoy without a negative reaction..

What are your guys thoughts on this??
    Sounds like a boring life that isn't perfect at all. Not to mention relinquishing your desires and sadness is easier said than done

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well when you are sad you just need to stop being sad and be awesome instead.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Samraat Mahendra Maurya View Post
    Get rid of all your desires and lamentations.
    You'll have a perfect life

When I say perfect, I mean, without suffering

So you can practically remove suffering by getting rid of all your desires and lamentations and it is perfect in that sense!

Of course, Suffering is the nature of this world and we cant enjoy without a negative reaction..

What are your guys thoughts on this??

My thoughts are that that is nihilistic, that is a pathetic form of suicide, it is fleeing from one's life, it is in a sense highly cowardly.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

"Give up your desires" is neither possible nor desirable. Desires are what drive us to do great things as well as bad. Passion is an important part of the human experience.
    "Perfection" is a foolish concept in the first place. It presupposes some sort of unprovable, purely conceptual idea of what is the best thing. And each ideology ends up being framed around one what guy or one group thinks is best for everyone else, which is about as subective as it gets. There is no objectivity to it, despite what people try to pretend.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    "Give up your desires" is neither possible
    How so? It's no impossibility to ignore desires. If one has the desire to do something that will harm another person, it's possible to not follow that desire.

nor desirable.
    Why? If one would have no desires, one would not be diminished. I guess one would be more true to one's basic being.

Desires are what drive us to do great things as well as bad. Passion is an important part of the human experience.
    Is that human experience really that desireable? How many people - that desire -, are content and happy?

"Perfection" is a foolish concept in the first place. It presupposes some sort of unprovable, purely conceptual idea of what is the best thing. And each ideology ends up being framed around one what guy or one group thinks is best for everyone else, which is about as subective as it gets. There is no objectivity to it, despite what people try to pretend.
    True.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by spacial View Post
    How so? It's no impossibility to ignore desires. If one has the desire to do something that will harm another person, it's possible to not follow that desire.

Why? If one would have no desires, one would not be diminished. I guess one would be more true to one's basic being.
    One's basic/truer being is animalistic and motivated by instinctual desire.

Is that human experience really that desireable? How many people - that desire -, are content and happy?
    No different from liars who pretend that they have "conquered" their desires.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    One's basic/truer being is animalistic and motivated by instinctual desire.
    Then you have no free will?!

No different from liars who pretend that they have "conquered" their desires.
    True.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Then you have no free will?!
    I have as much free will as a rock tumbling through space.

True.
    Everything I say is true, even when I'm mistaken.
    -Betrand Russell

I have as much free will as a rock tumbling through space.
    Then how can you have desires, if you have no will?

If you have no will, then you aren't really an individual, but are only a spectator.

If you have desires, then they dominate your will - rendering a "free" will into a procedure dominated by causal procedures.

Perphas you are only kidding, and assume to have a free will, but at the same time assume to be driven by biological imperatives? And further you may assume, that the bio-chemical determinants of neurons in your brain are not causal, but are subject to your will? Can you change the way molecules, atoms, electrons behave? If not: then you truely don't have a free will.

clone's Avatar Primicerius

depends . people can only contain their desires not totaly ignore them.people always do what they want more or less. thats they unfortunate truth.

If you have no will, then you aren't really an individual, but are only a spectator.

If you have desires, then they dominate your will - rendering a "free" will into a procedure dominated by causal procedures.
    100% free will doesnt exist nor ever will .forget the consept. regardless if humans are animals(scientific explanation) or gods work( theological explanation)
    people can make choises but one the same time those choises are affected but desires or nature .
    people have will but not free(not 100% at least)
    Last edited by clone; September 02, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by clone View Post
    depends . people can only contain their desires not totaly ignore them.people always do what they want more or less. thats they unfortunate truth.
    If you look into it, there are two possibilities. Either you have a (free) will, or you don't.

To assume, that there is a free will, that is influenced by bio-chemical procedures-- that's the same as saying there is no will. Why? If a bio-chemical process is able to influence a free will, then a free will hast to be a bio-chemical process. Thus is no free will in that case.

But you assume there is a free will, you have to--- if not, you weren't a person in your view of things. So you assume to have a free will -- why do you imagine, that it's not possible ignore desires?

To assume, that there is a free will, that is influenced by bio-chemical procedures-- that's the same as saying there is no will. Why? If a bio-chemical process is able to influence a free will, then a free will hast to be a bio-chemical process. Thus is no free will in that case.
    100% free will doesnt exist. personally dont believe in the absolute dillima either there is free will or there int.in a beauty contest the winner is beautifull but also beautifull is the second or the third
    But you assume there is a free will, you have to--- if not, you weren't a person in your view of things. So you assume to have a free will -- why do you imagine, that it's not possible ignore desires?
    i am a person that influenses his desires(or nature) while being influensed by them
    why do you imagine, that it's not possible ignore desires?
    because it is not. all the humans do is follow their desires.for example
    we live life because we enjoy it.we eat food because we enjoy it
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

100% free will doesnt exist.
    Look... there either is a free will or there is not. It's not possible to have a 67% free will. I guess you understand that, and I don't have to elaborate.

i am a person that influenses his desires(or nature) while being influensed by them
    You may believe that, but how does it function? Pls explain! Are your desires not attached to your bio-neuroal procedures? If you believe they are attached, then you are without (free) will-- or do you believe to be unattached to a (brain/neurological) body?

because it is not. all the humans do is follow their desires.for example we live life because we enjoy it.we eat food because we enjoy it
    So it's ok to rape, if it's a desire? It's ok to make money as banker, even if someone far away will suffer? It's ok to not console? It's fine to advance, even if others will be victims?

Isn't it better to not desire (personal gains), to not be passionate (for once own matters)...?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

A particularly bad desire doesn't spoil the whole bunch.

I feel that a complete denial of one's desires, which motivate us, is more likely to diminish us and the human experience. I mean, complete excess all the time will do that too. But giving in to your desires, in moderation, is part of our inner selves. I agree most with Epicurus and Aleister Crowley: to follow your true will, to find inner peace, you have to give in to your desires now and again. Even moderation should be done in moderation.

Is that human experience really that desireable?
    Yes. If you take the time to look at it and marvel at it and not try to escape it. Human life, indeed all life, is precious and wondrous. The experience of it is pure joy.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I have desires from nature, my nature.

Is a puppet any less of a puppet when it denies the existence of its strings?
    I recognize my strings, I recognize my desires and more importantly I accept them, I embrace life, I don't reject it. To deny ones nature is the most nihilistic action one can take, it is a passionless suicide. Even a suicide from despair has more merit.

Cause and effect baby.
    Sometimes we like to pretend to believe that humans are exceptions to universal constants of the universe, that we are in some sense "superior" to and separate from the universe that produced us. Such is the ultimate vanity of man. A folly to be sure and a perpetual disappointment.

Perphas you are only kidding, and assume to have a free will, but at the same time assume to be driven by biological imperatives? And further you may assume, that the bio-chemical determinants of neurons in your brain are not causal, but are subject to your will? Can you change the way molecules, atoms, electrons behave? If not: then you truely don't have a free will.
    No, I reject the overly pervasive and harmful assumption that free-will exists. There is no reason to think that free will exists, other than human ego. But using the ego as a source of knowledge has almost always turned out to be inaccurate "knowledge" and is ultimately detrimental to humanity as a whole. Not that ego itself is detrimental, but using it as if it were a source of knowledge (about anything other than one's ego) is detrimental.

So it's ok to rape, if it's a desire?

It's ok to make money as banker, even if someone far away will suffer? It's ok to not console? It's fine to advance, even if others will be victims?

Isn't it better to not desire (personal gains), to not be passionate (for once own matters)...?
    No, it's not better to not desire.
    -Betrand Russell

Look... there either is a free will or there is not. It's not possible to have a 67% free will. I guess you understand that, and I don't have to elaborate.
    that what you dont understand. the word free has many definitions. for many people being free means have a good job and their family even if they are living in a monarchic state. for other people the previous are not enought and they need to have a say to the goverment to be free. for other being free means being able to walk naked in the central plaza in the town
    So it's ok to rape, if it's a desire? It's ok to make money as banker, even if someone far away will suffer? It's ok to not console? It's fine to advance, even if others will be victims?
    i never said that always it is good and ethical to follow your desires.the opposite. i just said that people can onlu contain their desires not change them (or ignore them) and not all the time
    Robert E. Howard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123