Thread: need help with stubborn map

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default need help with stubborn map

OK, I have read the guides, went back to square one a few times, etc, etc, but I just can't figure this out: the map will not load. it CTD's without generating the rwm file, and as a result I cannot test the feel of the campaign for my mod. I have no idea where to begin, as no message is given, and I am unsure where to begin. and yes, I am aware of the possible causes.

I am at my wits end, and feel that this is the one thing beyond me with regards of RTW modding (OK, RTW alex).

syw.zip

in case you're wondering: the mod (at least the most recent upload):

http://www.4shared.com/archive/4WwX2HCvba/SYW.html
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Default Re: need help with stubborn map

To start of with you haven't placed the settlements inside of the desc_strat, start of with only 2 factions controlling your 2 settlements, second thing that i noticed was that you didn't include a imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file this could also be causing the ctd, fix them up and should work. I tried loading it on mine after i made some changes but i changed other things recently in my files and that made it crash without loading the game at all, so let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesban The Great View Post
    To start of with you haven't placed the settlements inside of the desc_strat, start of with only 2 factions controlling your 2 settlements, second thing that i noticed was that you didn't include a imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file this could also be causing the ctd, fix them up and should work. I tried loading it on mine after i made some changes but i changed other things recently in my files and that made it crash without loading the game at all, so let me know how it goes.
    yeah, I did both. in fact, there's a sub-folder with the above required things. That is why I posted: No clue what on Earth is crashing it
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Hey, did you ever figure this out?

One thing I saw right off the bat is that the color value for your papal_states faction in descr_regions does not match the color in map_regions.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    Hey, did you ever figure this out?

One thing I saw right off the bat is that the color value for your papal_states faction in descr_regions does not match the color in map_regions.
    yeah, I caught that. but I suspect there's more to it than that.

Frankly, I don't understand how one gets the map to work, and I've yet to find a mapper willing to stay on board.

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

sorry, i would bet on landmass problem...

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I've been toying around with some mapping again, its been literally years, so perhaps I'll play around with trying to get yours to work as a learning experience.

Till then. This is the must read mapping tutorial that saved my arse many times in the past.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...w-campaign-map

Good luck

-Rama
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    I've been toying around with some mapping again, its been literally years, so perhaps I'll play around with trying to get yours to work as a learning experience.

Till then. This is the must read mapping tutorial that saved my arse many times in the past.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...w-campaign-map

Good luck

-Rama
    thanks for the offer! let me know what you find out.

and will keep the link in my favorites' list.

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

and again, you just can see the landmass problem....if you wont change a thing and stay with this map, you just can reduce the map size or turn the map to reduce the sea area...faced the same problem not long ago
    also i would advice you, just to start with a simple flat but loading height file, dont start to work with the ground types, or features before that...
    just saw also problems with map-features file...
    Last edited by leoni; January 27, 2015 at 03:01 PM.