Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

Default Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

So I downloaded and installed the mod to my game exactly as the instructions said on every line and the game starts up just fine without any issues all thought the launcher, main menu and even the into video of your faction right before you load the campaign. However half way through loading the campaign the whole thing crashes without an explanation. Apparently this has also happened to others after the recent steam update: (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-steam-update) Is there any fix for this or patch besides re-purchasing the game on a non-steam version since I have already paid for it twice and even purchased the Alexander campaign? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

We need an update/fix for this! I can't tell you how disappointed I was to finally get RTW (since R2TW was such an utter disappointment in of itself) only to find that this amazing mod isn't currently working with the steam version! I know it's not the mod author's fault and the game is so old that it's amazing there's any support for it still but please, a fix!

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

Got here to ask the same. Tryin to start a campaign and I get ctd on loading bar

Same problem for me. What did steam even patch? The only thing it did was breaking mods.

I haven't seen any changes with the steam update. I think it had something to do with making the total war series work better with steam workshop but don't quote me on that. If this is the case not sure why they would feel the need to apply it to the old TW games.

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

Having the same trouble
    ing steam I regret so much having mistreated my physical copy

Am having the same issue currently as well. Recently reinstalled and was looking forward to replaying RSII :/

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Sorry folks, no luck, unless the mod developers get a way around this problem, I ended up buying yet another RTW copy on CD, by ebay, no regrets since it is truly a great mod.
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

I have this issue too. And I was so looking forward to playing as the Ptolemeans.

Yep same, ctd halfway on the campaign loading screen.

MRENGLISHRULES's Avatar Tiro

Same problem here. Really annoying. I don't want to go back to rome 2!

Icon6 Re: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

I'm not saying there's no solution to this steam/RS2 problem, but anyone wanting to play Rome1 mods would be way ahead if they would purchase a CD/physical copy of RTW and not use steam for Rome1 mods. Preferably, purchase the Rome Anthology Edition which includes the two expansions; Barbarian Invasions and Alexander, includes patches. It runs for $8.00 to $12.00 new on sites like Amazon and Ebay.

No, I do not work for SEGA/CA, nor do I hate Steam. I don't use Steam anymore than I have to, but no, I don't hate Steam. It's a fine service Steam provides. Don' know what we'd do without it. Yep, they're great. No complaints from me.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Icon8 Re: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

Yeah im having the crashing issue and cannot find a solution to save my life. Also when i got the 2.6 patch it wouldn't even launch RS just plain old RTW vanilla... quite a frustrating issue, I even tried updating it to older versions of the game and not allowing steam to update the game, I know a lot of others with steam are having this same issue...no signs of hope

Icon6 Re: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
    Yeah im having the crashing issue and cannot find a solution to save my life. Also when i got the 2.6 patch it wouldn't even launch RS just plain old RTW vanilla... quite a frustrating issue, I even tried updating it to older versions of the game and not allowing steam to update the game, I know a lot of others with steam are having this same issue...no signs of hope
    It's very strange that so many people playing RS2 on Steam suddenly began having crashes and such. Almost sounds like a conspiracy.
    I wonder how many people are still able to play RS2 on Steam?
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

RS II is the only mod that crashes for me, does the exact same thing as the OP mentions, I can play IB:SAI with no problems at all...

Icon1 Re: Game crashes when loading campaign for the first time. (Steam Version)

This is why I advise anyone who loves playing R1 mods, but play them on Steam, to get a physical copy of Rome1(BI)(Alex). Even if your mods are working now, sooner or later several things are going to happen; Physical copies of R1 (BI)(Alex) will no longer be available and or Steam or SEGA/CA will decide it doesn't pay to keep an old low revenue TW title listed or just discontinue R1mods from the menu, especially if those non paying mods appear to be in direct competition with newer TW titles, like R2, and upcoming "Attila", $ titles which have $ DLC available. Or maybe you'll just get an update some day and your mod stops working. Call it just a theory, but if you love playing R1 mods its a theory you should consider.

Right now I'm playing non-Steam RS2 and SAI (invasio Barbarorvm, Julian 361AD) heavily, but I still like revisiting EB1, Diodochi and RTR from time to time. And I'm not depending on a digital outlet to allow me to continue playing them for years to come, if time is kind. Nor do I have to depend on my internet service always being a 100%.

As we know, all PC games new and old will sooner or later be purchasable only through digital outlets. If mods of a digital game are dropped or become unplayable your only option is a physical copy, if they can be found.

People who are unable to get RS2 to play on Steam include people who were playing RS2 on Steam and now they can't. This was just after some kind of Steam update came through. Don't know if that had anything to do with RS2 suddenly not working. If it did, it doesn't seem to have affected any other R1 mods on the scale it has RS2. But it is strange, that one of the most popular or the most played, however you want to look at it, R1 mods, RS2, suddenly stopped working, when apparently no other R1 mods seem similarly effected, at least not on the scale RS2 is. A mod highly touted as the real Rome2 after Rome2 came out and disappointment set in. Yes, I did my part in that touting.

It might be helpful if we can find people (assuming there are some) who can still play RS2 on Steam. Ask them questions, like what exe they use; Rome, BI or Alex. What OS they use. There may be a solution, but those who have the ability and time to find the problem (if it can be found) will find it more easily if they have more feedback, especially from those who can still play RS2. (again, assuming there are some)

As far as I can tell, the few people who have the ability to track down this RS2/Steam enigma, either don't have the time or gave up trying for good reason. (They may believe there is no fix from the mod's side.)

But hopefully, some fix may be discovered in the future. I hate hearing there are RS2 fans unable play the game for whatever reason. A game you shouldn't miss out on.

So, basically there is no solution for this?

bump, having the same problem, though i havent yet applied patch 2.6

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no solution! I spent days trying to find a way but it just doesn't work with the steam version. So I ended up buying a hard copy off the internet for only £6, was deffinetly worth it the mod is really good. I heard that Rome 2 has now been modded and patched to perfection but not sure if this is true.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Jamrec View Post
    So I ended up buying a hard copy off the internet for only £6, was deffinetly worth it the mod is really good.
    Wise decision

Quote Originally Posted by Jamrec View Post
    I heard that Rome 2 has now been modded and patched to perfection but not sure if this is true.
    ...patched over and over but far far away from perfection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast