Thread: Blood and Gore

Default Blood and Gore

Since the beginning of the Empire Total War marketing campaign, I have always wondered when we would have seen some blood and gore, since this era wasnt exactly known for not having spilled blood all over Europe. But years pass and both ETW and NTW lack any kind of blood or gore. Cannonballs appear to just push men down, musketballs disappear etc. In a word, terrible realism and lack of epic battles that will last in memory. Now, I know there is a way to create small blood puffs from bullet impacts and cannon balls hitting men, but it is just a very small touch that, from the very nature of the effect, which is particle-based, is totally artiicial and lacking any real impact. Therefore, I ask for those of you that have the Blood and Gore DLC for Shogun 2, are the files retrocompatible with NTW? Are they shader based ? Is there a way of knowing how the decals were applied? And also, I see there are decals here in NTW, specifically for the cannon marks on the terrain. Would it be so difficult to add others, or is it hardcoded like everything else? At least I know that decapitations and limbs cut off can be done, as they are simple animations and I was considering doing some with UU3D if I purchase it.

Mods like MoE, IS and Great War really lack this aspect of war, which would add immensely to the overrall excellent level of modding quality we have achieved during the years.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Blood and Gore

I'm very afraid it's hardcoded, in the sense it has been added later for Shogun/Rome and we may be missing the code to trigger it int ETW/NTW

Probably... although, I have at least attempted some research. It appears that the shaders have been updated, they are not in .fx format anymore, but .hlsl, despite this, the shaders themselves appear to be very similar, if not copies, of each other. Both Shogun 2 and NTW share the fx foldier, and the new shader types for water planes on the battlefield and blood splat seem to be not too complicated at a first glance. But I'm not a programmer so my knowledge of 3D space and code is very limited. One thing I did notice is that for creating the blood texture on top of a unit, they basically add a diffuse texture with the "_bloodmask.dds" suffix. Its just like the colour_mask, only applied when a unit is hit by a blade. Very stupid to do, if the game's source code was released. But as you say, not easy otherwise.

Lugie's Avatar Civis

Well, you can import the textures/effects from shogun 2, and use them in a impact effect group. So in theory you can get fountains of blood if you want, but for now im not sure if you can re-activate blood on the ground/uniforms and such (stuck in the unused/unactivated content pile in empire/napoleon).