Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Attila Praise Thread

Default Finally normal unit cards!

Thank you CA for normal unit cards.
    ''When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace''.Jimi Hendrix

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default Re: My introduction and First thougths about Total War: Atilla

Quote Originally Posted by Legio Comitatenses! View Post
    Hello,

as you may have noticed my name is "Legio Comitatenses",

and there is a good reason for that. I was imensely impressed by the presentation guys made on the new installment.

To tell you the truth, I was never more hyped about a next Total War installment ever before, than I am for Atilla.
    The setting, graphics and scenery are just simply mindblowing.

Units appear to move more softly compared to Empire, Napoleon and Rome 2, which is a great and positive surprise.
    Also, the over all mechanic really plunges you into the atmosphere. Not only the engine point of view, also the overall
    gameplay atmosphere is mindblowing. You have thosw viking like Dark Ages barbarians spawning all over the map,
    ferocious hordes, that will engulf and end the world, if not for - LEGIO COMITATENSES!

https://cms-images.idgesg.net/images...54653-orig.png

The Roman faction is made just EPICALLY. Things that I particularilly liked about the Legio Comitatenses, which are my favorite unit are:

- the use of Roman longsword (as opposed to earlyer Gladius)
    - epic battle animation (as the Legio Comitatenses point their edgy longswords behind no less epic oval shields, and charge fearlessly into enemy)
    - energic voice acting (loud "LEGIO COMI-TA-TENSES!!!" as you click on those heroes or "FOR THE GOOD LORD!" as you issue order to attack)

Talking about the Lord,
    In my humble oppinion, it's cool to have the Christian Roman empire to play as. You are fighting for GOD HIMSELF against barbarian rabble - cool if you ask me.
    Also it's nice CA have taken the Eastern Roman empire seriously, they have released a really great concept art of Constantinople you can see down there:

Great.

Hagia Sophia was not yet built at the time, but domed churches were starting to be build - it was a cultural influence from Syria.
    It would be great if you could build the Hagia Sophia as Justinian as the game progresses.

That's all - great job, CA. So far, so good.

One thing that I don't really like though. When you guys took a look at the religious map, we can see there is a partition between "ORTHODOX" and "CATHOLIC" christian... now this is sort out of the time frame. The game is set in 395 AD, way before the great schism or any conflicts between the Eastern and Western churches. In this time period there was NO difference between "Catholic" and "Orthodox", the church was "Roman Empire's state Orthodoxy".

We can say the church was just Orthodox Christian, not yet catholic. Even the byptistery in Ravenna built in 4. century AD, which at that time was the capital of WESTERN Roman empire, is called "Baptistery of the Orthodox".

Good developers please take notice on this and correct this mistake. There is no such thing as Catholic Christianity as early as 395 AD, and no offence to Catholics out there. Correct me if I am wrong. (Even if the word "Catholic" existed in that time, it was used along with the word "Orthodox")

All in all, can't wait. Can't wait to defeat 100s of thousands of barbarians with just a handful of brave Christian Men, and even expand the empire.

my tactic will be to retreat from Scotland to London, as CA have done in the video, also, to retreat from northern provinced of Gaul, group up the legions, and just march all over barbarian territories. When the Huns come - if I don't come to them first as the Western Roman Empire, they will probably just turn away and flee like cattle.
    Welcome to the forum!
    For me I prefer the multi-player and memories of playing BI online 4vs4 was completely epic! I love that time period, I am hoping the Plumbata animation is accurate or I probably won't buy the game if it isn't.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Default Re: Official praise thread for Total War : Attila

on the one hand i really want to mow down those heathens, who abandon olympus mons, and establish a stable "barbaric" empire, decimating the european population by half (60 down to 30 million)...
    on the other hand it would be cool to abuse the trinity as an OP war god, like the vikings, and put it on top of my epic greco-romanic pantheon.

Call me indoctrinated but I am very exited about attila. It's the gritty atmosphere that gets me, I love the feeling that the world is ending etc. Even though I love history I don't give a rat's ass whether the game is historical simulation. I play paradox for that feeling and even there the authenticity flies out the window when you unpause.

ON another note, the Sasanians just came out. Oh yeah, let me violate some hephtalites with my cataphracts.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; November 18, 2014 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nergal1610 View Post
    ON another note, the Sasanians just came out. Oh yeah, let me violate some hephtalites with my cataphracts.
    Based on the map, the Hepthalites won't be playable. My only hope is that they'll control modern-day Turkmenistan, but still they won't give you a challenge.

Default From what we have seem of Attila so far

Assessing all the data that Ca have released and shown so far on Attila I have come to the conclusion that this is going to be the best totalwar ever released in single player, OFC there will be players that immediately shout no its so close to rome2 without even taking in the available new data.

Rome 2 was an awful release at the start there can be no denying that, but after the many patches its finally at the point where its a bloody fine totalwar with some major flaws, the thing is Attila from what I can see wipes the floor with all these flaws and actually gives a complete package that I believe no previous Totalwar can match. The main problem with Rome in its current state is there's no real depth to the campaign and the player loses focus and direction after 40 turns maybe but in its current state rome 2 is actually a really fine game upto those 40 turns (there is just not enough to keep you going after that). It should be noted that the head to head campaigns in Rome2 are absolutely fantastic (there can be no denying this) its a great platform for head to head and a hell of a lot of fun as it gets rid of most of those single player problems (AI for example as the players play every battle vs each other).

Attila for a start gives the most in depth family tree we have seen to date in a Totalwar game not only that but it gives a myriad of other options we have never seen before, IIRC correctly from the videos there are about 12 actions available for your characters on this family tree giving it a hell of a lot of depth and replayability/roleplay - These characters are most likely going to mean a hell of a lot to the player and add a ton of depth to the campaign. Not only that but the game is blessed with the new Horde mechanic which looks by any standard to be a fantastic addition with again many many in depth options and strategies now available to the player. The Army management pages and interface now offers more army customisation than we have ever seen before allowing the player to add items traits and retainers with good looking general skill and army trait trees - From what ive seen so far this is the best looking single player Totalwar I have seen so far and I've played them all.

The campaign itself looks to be very varied - never before have we seen so many different playstyles and situations in a Totalwar campaign, there are hordes that can go marauding around the campaign map choosing to stay as a horde or settle looks like 2 completely different experiences for the faction and should add that all important goal in the campaign later on - once a player has finished rampaging as a horde and looting and building up their coffers the game could be only beginning even around the 40 turn mark, Then you can move on to build your empire giving a prolonged interest in the campaign all this while having a very detailed family tree with all sorts of options available to customise those characters and perform actions - we just haven't seen this much detail in a totalwar campaign before. The factions themselves - will you choose to rampage around as a horde for the entire game? or rampage and settle in the late game and start to build an empire , hell even where you are going to settle and build your empire will add endless playability to that one faction - last campaign you maybe chose to settle in Greece, this campaign you may choose Egypt or even go for a long epic adventure to settle in Britain. Or will you play as totalwars first legendary start faction and be really up against it from the get go the WRE with wars popping up all over the place and just trying to survive as opposed to the usual rush expanding of old. Ofc if we want the standard gameplay experience there are factions in there for that too id imagine the Sassanids or the Germanic factions.

What do people look for in mods? well many things for a start more than 1 turn per year that's a given and CA have listened and put it in there and also put in the effects of seasons with the moving snow line as an added little extra, there's integrity of armies to worry about, sanitation for disease to worry about, loyalty of generals, there's just so much I feel that will be added to the campaign with all these changes. I really cannot wait for this It looks to me like the best Totalwar to date in Single player and the fun is just going to be endless in the head to head and coop campaigns with all the different possibilities the vastly different and diverse factions Attila looks to be bringing.

Sometimes you have to look forward, ok CA made mistakes with Rome2 (BIG ONES) but if Attila is half as good as I think its going to be then it should be celebrated as a massive step in the right direction for the series that should encourage us to what they can bring in future titles. Some people are saying theyre just adding features from the past, they are adding back in features from the past (the family tree) but we have never seen it this in depth and I just feel with all the changes they have put in the game its just going make the campaign a thing of beauty if you love your totalwar like I do.

I think this is going to be one of the most diverse totalwars ever with massive amounts of replayability, I really look forward to seeing what the good modders can do with all this, these new systems could also be modded I bet in ways were not even considering just now especially the horde feature and family tree.

Time to move on, it looks like CA may deliver this time a fantastic totalwar, some people say its it worth the money? It certainly looks like the best value for money totalwar I've ever seen! What's not to like and don't hit me with the word torches and siege escalation by the looks of it - it will take many many turns of sieging before that even comes into play - that's hardly a game killer and seems like nit picking to me - there's so much positive stuff outweighing the little niggles I've seen posted on the forums of late. IM not even really into this ERA and ive never been as excited for a Totalwar as I am for this in single player - all these little additions are going to add up I belive to the best campaign experience yet seen in totalwar and god help my free time when it comes out because there's just so much to do it seems and so much depth and possible roleplay in there - dunno about anyone else but i'm seeing abit of Totalwar heaven here, just the kind of release I've been hoping for - Attila has the chance to be the best totalwar experience yet and my money is on it living upto that.

We all have to be realistic we all cant get exactly what we want but this looks like a love letter to the community - some of our most wanted features are in this release and not just in but in a lot of cases better than many of us asked for. I even see there's an option in the graphics menu taking away that clipping that some players were asking for as a toggle (that's a little thing but something that's really important to those who campaigned for it). Hell if your gonna complain about the province names this time round just conquer them and rename them!

I reckon even playing as one of the horde factions theres more replayability in there with that one faction than there has been in full releases of the past due to all the options available to the player and the depth of the family tree, so many things going on that its probably going to be mind boggling at the start - sanitation, food, integrity, loyalty hordes, encampments, settling in different regions of the map each time you play and it should be totally different, You could be 50 turns in and not even started building your empire, fast forward another great amount of turns building up those all important characters and then you have to worry about Attila himself and to top it all off they go and add a chapter publishing element where ones campaigns are catalogued minute detail and you can then add your own stories to this and share with the community all with a specifically designed tool showing almost every single actions made in your campaign - WONDERFUL!

Personally I cannot wait this game promises to be the highest peak of Totalwar to date after one of its great lows - bring it on!

]
    Last edited by swoosh so; February 03, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

kerrfox's Avatar Civis

Default Re: From what we have seem of Attila so far

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh so View Post
    ... if Attila is half as good as I think its going to be then it should be celebrated as a massive step in the right direction for the series that should encourage us to what they can bring in future titles. ...I think this is going to be one of the most diverse totalwars ever with massive amounts of replayability.......just the kind of release I've been hoping for - Attila has the chance to be the best totalwar experience yet and my money is on it living upto that.... this game promises to be the highest peak of Totalwar to date after one of its great lows - bring it on!

Indeed I expect the vast majority of people will find this game to be the best TW game yet. I don't mean just a little bit better either, a vastly improved game with all the great features of previous games, those features improved upon, and exciting new features as well. Just think how grand Medieval 3 will be! I'm quite excited with what I've learned about this game.

Playing games like Medieval II really get me into developing the stories of my generals by making one extremely chivalrous or one that is filled with dread. I like that now we can make stories again for generals and instead of starting with smaller nations we can get a massive empire that has its back against the wall. Still don't know if I'll preorder but I have high hopes for Atilla because this era of history really catches my attention and I can only imagine the limitless mods that'll be available (i.e. Lotr). I just hope that all the videos I've been watching really come through because from what I've seen it looks absolutely beautiful.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

finally, the UI for the tech n skill trees!!!!! I love the UI to death! I just wish the forces/generals/agents list got the same love, very minor so no complains.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Good feedback from the reviews in, a lot of the magazines/sites that over marked rome2 are being hilariously cautious and probably marking down the game based on rome2 and scared of being burned cause they never fully test before reviewing. I'm happy from what I've seen though a good solid release with great new campaign features just what we needed right now for the series! Totalwar is back on track guys now let's hope for an era of continual improvement now with Attila the minimum benchmark in terms of features for all future releases.
    Support Totalwar Youtubers:
    Jackiefish commentary my Quarter final match tosa cup*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcr52zUAoTo
    Showing Pointman a 2v3 Tactic: He does well and carries it out to perfection first time*..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBrfDUr8f6M&feature=plcp
    Aggony Clan 1v1 Tournament match: Multiple casters check description for their youtube channels*:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHoz8nS7ulY

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Haven't played the game much at all yet, but I can already say that the immediate impression the game gives you is much (MUCH) better than Rome 2 did. The UI design is much more pleasing, the faction selection screen for grand campaign is amazingly improved over the previous Rome 2, and the campaign UI is much more intuitive and informative too. My only complaint is the choice to continue using an online encyclopedia for in-game information (like when you right click a unit for more info, or a building); the data is installed locally, so why bother with the online version (which is also slower because download times)?
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

TASS07's Avatar Miles

Just getting started. But CA did a pretty job on the intro and the menu, both are atmoshperic and aesthetically pleasing. As per usual. On to the actual game!

I was afraid about the fire mechanics in the game. Fire and smoke from burning gates in previous games would slow down the game a lot if I wanted to look close to it. So, I was expecting fire in sieges to have a similar effect, however, they seem to have change it completely. Burning buildings don't take a heavy toll on graphics at all and they're quite pretty to watch how they spread.
    The Armenian Issue

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh so View Post
    Good feedback from the reviews in, a lot of the magazines/sites that over marked rome2 are being hilariously cautious and probably marking down the game based on rome2 and scared of being burned cause they never fully test before reviewing. I'm happy from what I've seen though a good solid release with great new campaign features just what we needed right now for the series! Totalwar is back on track guys now let's hope for an era of continual improvement now with Attila the minimum benchmark in terms of features for all future releases.
    I get the same impression.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Default Thematic Total War, or greatest Thematic Total War?

Over 15 Hours I've been wasting all my spare time eating this game up and I have to say, I think it surpasses Shogun in Theme. At the very least the Art Department nailed the feelings of the Apocalypse that they were talking about. From an Artistic standpoint they nailed the theme 100%. Yes it's not historically accurate but that's never been CA's strong point, when they tried for gritty realism we got Rome II. When they aimed for Fantasy we got games like Rome I, Shogun II and I'd argue Attila. Comparing two scenes from my play through of all games of a battle in a forest (I record these battles cause I love the settings) I feel like Attilla trumps Shogun II in looks and adherence to what it was going for, the Army I was playing as WRE felt like an Army on it's way to the Medieval Era, dirty, bloody and struggling to hold back the tides.

Is this feeling just me? Honestly I've been having a blast with Attila so far and I feel like they got Characters perfect this time (even if the tree's are a bit lacking) what do you guys think?

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Thematic Total War, or greatest Thematic Total War?

In terms of gameplay and family tree Attila trumps Shogun 2, but I still think the atmosphere of the Sengoku Jidai campaign is better. Just looking around the map and hearing the monks chanting and seeing the cherry blossoms falling in the autumn, it's a really pretty thing to see. Not to mention the UI, Attila's is good no doubt, but I'm still a fan of the stylized versions - the wood block prints for unit cards and portraits in Shogun 2 just works so well.

Attila has an amazingly dark, unique atmosphere but I have just a soft spot for Shogun 2.

Default Am I alone in thinking this is the best total war game since medieval 2?

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this. I can't quite put my finger on it but this feels like the old total war games in terms of pace, design and atmosphere but mixed with the good parts of modern game design.

Since Empire I've always found myself trying to ignore the problems that came along with the new engine, like awful sieges, poor AI, bad pacing, combat mechanics and bland music. With this, I'm finding myself just loving it all. The siege maps are great and seem like a mix of the sieges of old games with the good of the new games but actually working as intended. The AI is solid, battles feel desperate and have a great pace and the music is great for Richard Beddow. Shogun was a great game with a lot of love put into it but you could tell the problems of previous games were still there, just hidden. With Attila everything just feels like its working as intended like the games on the older engine.

I'm even finding myself taking pleasure in watching the combat even though it hasn't changed since Rome 2 as far as I'm aware. It could be a placebo but it seems like the matched combat is much smoother now but it could just be that the rest of the game is so good that it was never really that bad all along.
    Last edited by agent 47; February 20, 2015 at 07:10 AM.

Default Re: Am I alone in thinking this is the best total war game since medieval 2?

I think it's the most atmospheric game since Medieval 2 (quite arguably more so than that too). The music is great, as is the narrative, custscenes and voice acting. AI is pretty impressive too, actually. But I don't like the combat - at all, and it's certainly not the best since Medieval 2. The interface is cluttered with so many buttons, icons and at times redundant information (compare with ETW or NTW which were very clean looking and comprehensible). The mechanics aren't impressive either, truthfully. It looks and feels more dramatic than Rome 2, but the whole combat concept needs to be revised since almost every area is looking or playing awkwardly, although somewhat better than R2. I think they tried to hit a middle ground between arcade style combat and what Total War used to be, the problem is it's not really working. It's a shame, because the game as a whole is a gem. A good, solid and intuitive combat system would easily have made it the best since Medieval 2, and better than it on top of that.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Default Re: Am I alone in thinking this is the best total war game since medieval 2?

they should just do what they did in rome 1 and have an option for arcade battles

Barbarian Nobility's Avatar Tribunus
    South Australia - Land of the Bogan and home of the serial killer

I agree with OP, best TW game since MTW2...would love to see this engine and everything thats great about this title incorporated into a medieval 3....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast