Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Attila might be the prequel to Medieval 3

Icon3 Total War: Attila might be the prequel to Medieval 3

What do you think of when you hear the term Medieval Period? Widespread adoption of the crossbow? Diseases brought by trade ravaging Europe? Intense religious conflict?

Sound familiar? All three of these are in Attila, albeit in a simpler form, not only that but the game is set during the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, which was one of the major events that kick-started the Middle Ages in Europe and set in motion the next thousand years of European history!

In other words, this could be a prequel to Total War: Medieval 3, Attila is set during the time frame almost immediately proceeding the game, Attila could be seen as a test for some of Medieval 3's core mechanics, such as religion and disease, as well as minor features like crossbows (IIRC they've never been done before in Warscape engine), heavily fortified minor settlements (IE the beginning of medieval castles), and the total devastation of cities and provinces.

Sorry if this sounds like a crazy rant.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Total War: Attila might be the prequel to Medieval 3

Yeah, just like people use to say that Fall of the Samurai is the prequel to World War 1.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    Yeah, just like people use to say that Fall of the Samurai is the prequel to World War 1.
    The difference is that we never had and never will get a WW1 Total War game, meanwhile Medieval 3 is highly requested and another game set during that era is long overdue.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I don't think we will see a M3 in the next several years but I do think Attila is a very good prequel to a TW: Dark Ages/Charlemagne game. Somewhere around 800 to 900. That I would get excited about.

I doubt this is a lead up to Medieval 3 or the like and I'm not sure I'm that interested in Medieval 3, at least not if it's 1066-1453 Medieval 3. What I would like to see though is as an Early Medieval game, a Charlemagne: Total War running from 768-1066. There'd be Vikings, the Eastern Roman Empire, Umayyads and Abbasids, the establishment of the Holy Roman Empire, Magyar invasions all capped off with lots of Pagans, Christians, Muslims, Zoroastrians and heresies galore all thrashing the hell out of each other.

Specifically for the future of Attila I'd like to see a Saxon Invasion mini campaign set in the ashes of Roman Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hovis View Post
    I doubt this is a lead up to Medieval 3 or the like and I'm not sure I'm that interested in Medieval 3, at least not if it's 1066-1453 Medieval 3. What I would like to see though is as an Early Medieval game, a Charlemagne: Total War running from 768-1066. There'd be Vikings, the Eastern Roman Empire, Umayyads and Abbasids, the establishment of the Holy Roman Empire, Magyar invasions all capped off with lots of Pagans, Christians, Muslims, Zoroastrians and heresies galore all thrashing the hell out of each other.

Specifically for the future of Attila I'd like to see a Saxon Invasion mini campaign set in the ashes of Roman Britain.
    An early Middle Ages Total War game would definitely be interesting, it's a very rarely explored area in games, there's a lot they could do with it, plus as you said there's vikings!

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    HAHA this..

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hovis View Post

this sound too good to be true
    this is my no. 1 wish for next Total War.

Attila is a follow-up to Rome 2, not a prequel for Medieval 3... same thing Barbarian Invasion was intended as.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Too much melee..

This might be the last Total War as well.

So many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by System32.exe View Post
    In other words, this could be a prequel to Total War: Medieval 3
    This is exactly what I was thinking about It came to my mind a few days ago and I was wondering if I am the only one, or if somebody else was thinking about it too. And now I can see that yes
    But maybe it just come to mind to people who wish M3 to be next TW game very very much (like me)

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

They spoke about Alexanders empire briefly in one of the talks saying how it was matched by Attila, so perhaps that could be the next direction that CA goes to.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Well Attila is the indication that the next Total War game will be about China.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm surprised there is no Half-Life 3 reference in this thread yet.

Anyways, I -really, really- do hope it's not Medieval 3. Too similar, too soon. So many people complaining about the lack of innovation in TW and you guys are asking them to make yet another copy-paste with better graphics.

Also, aren't 2 sequels in a row enough?

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    I'm surprised there is no Half-Life 3 reference in this thread yet.

Anyways, I -really, really- do hope it's not Medieval 3. Too similar, too soon. So many people complaining about the lack of innovation in TW and you guys are asking them to make yet another copy-paste with better graphics.

Also, aren't 2 sequels in a row enough?
    Exactly . Next TW should be smt with gunpowder ,lika a Victorian Age .
    Third paragraph from the bottom... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ative-assembly
    Last edited by Count von Orlok; September 29, 2014 at 06:10 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I would guess we have Romans, a sequel in Barbarians, and then a prequel in Greeks. So Augustus, Attila, and Alexander.

Victorian Era should be doable, the only problem is managing a global conflict. Given the way Total War works you need a world map more deep than Risk and probably less deep than Europa Universalis.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 29, 2014 at 09:32 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

A few thoughts

• The "Dark Ages" IS the Medieval Period, though the early period.
    • I do not think Attila is anything but a corollary to Rome II
    • Also, Medieval II was the last game before the introduce naval warfare, so it would make sense to update it to be consistent with the other titles.
    • Moreover, though clamoring for a "Dark Age" style game, I see no reason why a Medieval III cannot have DLC similar to Attila being created.
    • I do no think Empire II is in the works, because I think they still have more development before they can release an update on that particular game. (It was incredibly ambitious when they first came out with it).
    • WWI is not conducive to the style of the game. My hat goes off to the guys that made a mod on the era however.
    • The Victorian age would be interesting, but the same issues that exist in Empire would exist in that game as well. If they can't make a viable Empire II, I doubt they will attempt something similar in a different time frame.
    • Lastly, I made a thread about my own thoughts on what should be the next game: [Next Game?] Peloponesian War: Total War (please comment in my thread; I do not wish to hijack this thread).

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

to be honest anything without guns on the warscape engine for me and in my opinion is a big mess, i just dont feel warscape does melee well at all and a med3 on that engine will be a fail for me.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Instead of calling out for whatever next TW title people should call out for a next TW engine, Shogun 2 was the best we will ever get from the warscape engine mabey Atilla will come close to this but only a new (more moddable if possible) engine can make the next TW title better and more intresting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast