Thread: No Paris/Lutetia Parisiorum ?

Default No Paris/Lutetia Parisiorum ?

Ok, that's not a complain thread, i don't really care about it.

But i do find strange that Paris isn't included in a game about this era.

Lutetia was by no mean a big city in the roman era, Lugdunum/Lyon was the most important city in Gaul so i think it's rather normal that the provincial capital is Lugdunum, it was the case in real life too.

It didn't bother me at all that the city wasn't present in Rome 2 (it probably was in Caesar in Gaul, although i didn't check it yet), but in the time period of Attila, while still not being one of the largest city of Gaul it was noteworthy nonetheless.

Emperor Julian made it's gallic capital while he was appointed Caesar, it had an arsenal (though the weapon manufacture of the area was at Soissons), it controlled the trade on the Seine river, it was fortified and Attila, according to the myth at least, avoided the city after prayers organised by Sainte-Genevieve. Then Clovis made it its capital after he conquered the area thanks to its strategical situation and control of the Seine river.

What do people think ?

Justified or not ?

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Default Re: No Paris/Lutetia Parisiorum ?

Well it looks like Athens won't be in the game either. From what I can tell of the map screenshots shown thus far it looks like it's only Corinth down in Elladia which is part of the Macedonia province. Bit disappointing but not surprising Lutetia's joined the list of important cities being scraped.(Please tell me Jerusalem is still in?)
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Honestly I'd say that we do not have enough to go off of when it comes to the campaign map. We really only got a quick glimpse. I'm hoping they release an official city map

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Imho I am not to bothered about only Corinth is in greece, It´s not like that area was very important like in Rome 2 and Corinth not Athens was the capital of East Roman Achaea.
    I think that the exlusion this far of Armorica (Bretagne) and Paris is a bigger deal, although it is still very possible that the map is still being worked on a bit, Maybe the people working on it had time to do all but some details before EGX becuase they had to work on some campainn pack map for Rome 2.

Well as i said, if Paris was occulted because of Lugdunum the capital of Gaul in roman times, i wouldn't be puzzled by the decision.

I can understand the regions and provinces are big and can't represent all the cities, so choices should be made.

But going from the campaign map glimpse we had, they chose to put Rotomagus (Rouen) as the town representing northern France, Rotomagus is a port, wich might have played from a gameplay perspective, but still, between Rotomagus and Paris, i think Paris would be more likely and important to put on that map especially given the time period because it is then that it started to become an important city.
    Last edited by Keyser; September 29, 2014 at 03:27 AM.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lugdunum wasn't the most important city in Gaul. Augusta Treverorum (Trier) was, and then Arelate (Arles) beginning around 395. Lutetia Parisorum was a backwater in the shadow of Aurelianum (Orleans).

Well, i confess that while i knew Trier was a capital and big city, i didn't include it in Gaul because of modern perceptions, my bad, as to Arles i didn't knew it became larger than Lugdunum either.

Anyway, my point wasn't that Paris was a major city of Gaul, as i said, just that it started to become important around that time and that i feel it would be a better choice in the actual region seen on the Attila campaign map than Rotomagus...

What with it becoming the capital of Clovis and all. I don't know how many turn the campaign will last since it will be 4 turns per year, but 508 isn't very far from Attila's lifetime.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

I thought the Frankish kings didn´t much care for their capitals and instead ruled from their estates.
    So I guess even if it was the capital of the Franks for some time in the 5th century it still wasn´t a very important city.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Rotomagus was the capital of the Province there (Lugdunensis IV I believe) so it is a good choice.