Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to post this, but here is a link to a Yale University course on Roman Architecture from the founding to Constantine by Prof. Diana E. E. Kleiner.
    added to "Podcasts and Other Web Resources" section.

thanks all!

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Imperial Ideology and Provincial Loyalty in the Roman Empire
    Clifford Ando (Author)
    Available worldwide
    (Cincinnati Classical Studies) Classics and Contemporary Thought
    A Joan Palevsky Book in Classical Literature
    Imperial Ideology and Provincial Loyalty in the Roman Empire argues that the longevity of the empire rested not on Roman military power but on a gradually realized consensus that Roman rule was justified. This consensus was itself the product of a complex conversation between the central government and its far-flung peripheries"

Neokoroi: Greek Cities and Roman Emperors
    Barbara Burrell
    The neokoroi, or 'temple-wardens, ' were Hellenized cities of the eastern Roman empire who received that title for possessing their provinces' temples to the living emperor. This work collects and analyzes all the evidence for the neokoroi, including their coins and inscriptions, contemporary and subsequent historical texts, and the archaeological remains of the temples themselves and the statues that stood within them.

Almost forgot this one The Severans database, University of Southern Florida

http://web3.forest.usf.edu/main/othe...ran/databases/

The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic by Robert L. O'Connell

Excelent book about the Hannibal invasion of Italy with the most famous battle in the center but also how the strengths and weakness of the opponents societies and military strategies turn slowly the tide in favour of the romans despite the tremendous losses and the genius of the punic general.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ghosts-Can.../dp/0812978676

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Almost forgot this one The Severans database, University of Southern Florida

http://web3.forest.usf.edu/main/othe...ran/databases/
    Thank you for this link, the Severans are very interesting dynasty. One of my favorites period of Antiquity! You are truly great Euergetes

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I've recently started reading War, Women and Children in Ancient Rome by John K. Evans.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Sounds interesting Darkan, thanks for the tip.

This book called Caesarīs Heirs: Wolves in the Forum by John Bassett looks interesting (Pen and Sword books - well I donīt know what is wrong with this publiser, this book according amazon was released 19.12.2014, itīs out of stock on amazon, but itīs not posted on publiher web, so I donīt know how to buy it. Also the Rise of Seleukid Empire is out of stock, but this is probably my mistake )

added the sources; thanks fellas

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    fixed, many thanks.
    Where is it now? You really shouldn't leave it out; it is one of the best overviews there is.

Greek Narratives of the Roman Empire under the Severans
    Cassius Dio, Philostratus and Herodian

AUTHOR: Adam M. Kemezis
    DATE PUBLISHED: October 2014
    This book examines the narratives put out by the new dynasty, and how the literary elite responded with divergent visions of their own. It focuses on four long Greek narrative texts from the period (by Cassius Dio, Philostratus and Herodian), each of which constructs its own version of the empire, each defined by different Greek and Roman elements and each differently affected by dynastic change, especially that from Antonine to Severan.

You can download and read the introduction here, it has been uploaded by the author

http://www.academia.edu/8970946/Gree...ridge_UP_2014_
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; January 27, 2015 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpus View Post
    Where is it now? You really shouldn't leave it out; it is one of the best overviews there is.
    it hasnt been left out. look under Greece/Hellenistic (Koinon Hellenon, Bosphoran Kingdom, Pergamon)

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Sounds interesting Darkan, thanks for the tip.

This book called Caesarīs Heirs: Wolves in the Forum by John Bassett looks interesting (Pen and Sword books - well I donīt know what is wrong with this publiser, this book according amazon was released 19.12.2014, itīs out of stock on amazon, but itīs not posted on publiher web, so I donīt know how to buy it. Also the Rise of Seleukid Empire is out of stock, but this is probably my mistake )
    Not sure which Amazon.com you are using but you can try either the UK one or the US. Often rare books in the US are more available in the UK.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk
    You can always try here for anything slightly harder to find, there is a US .com site also

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    https://www.abebooks.co.uk
    You can always try here for anything slightly harder to find, there is a US .com site also
    I will try this. Thank you for your help! The books you posted looks very interesting! Iīm currently reading The Emperor Domitian by Brian W. Jones. Also I have ordered The Frontiers of Imperial Rome by David J Brezze and Between Rome and Persia: The Middle Euphrates, Mesopotamia and Palmyra Under Roman Control by Peter Edwell (all are after EB timeframe), so out of money for new books

@ MIKE GOLF: Thanks for your concern, Iīm using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Caesars-Heirs-...ar%C5%88+heirs

But Antiokhos gave me additional info about book release, once more thanks guys

This site http://scaddenda.org/ (see below)is an invaluable numismatic resource for the study of the Seleukids, you will also find on the front page two publications.
    The volumes are pretty expensive, hence the reason I have only managed to aquire the first volume and it's accompanying appendixes, indices, and plates volume Seleukos I - Antiokhos III .
    But the site, as I mentioned is a great tool for research
    http://scaddenda.org/
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; February 01, 2015 at 02:52 PM.

I seem to be either buying/reading too much, or I took the EB contract 'read more history' too seriously! Anyway, here is another for Roman archaeologists and enthusiasts of the Limes during the later periods.Hadrian's Wall and the End of Empire
    "The Roman Frontier in the 4th and 5th Centuries"
    Author: Rob Collins
    http://www.routledge.com/books/detai...5884112/<br /> Examining Hadrian’s Wall and the Roman frontier of northern England from the fourth century into the Early Medieval period, this book investigates a late frontier in transition from an imperial border zone to incorporation into Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, using both archaeological and documentary evidence. With an emphasis on the late Roman occupation and Roman military, it places the frontier in the broader imperial context.
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; February 11, 2015 at 01:20 AM.

This thread is great and will help me build my library
    A few books I'd like to add:
    The Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World. Found it on eBay for only $165!! It's huge and contains very detailed maps.
    A Guide to the Ancient World by Michael Grant. It's very in depth and a must have. A great guide to all of the ancient places and sites. Really helps deciding on which cities should be in or out in my mod

ive read the the poison king.. It's basically a historical novel. Everything is non fiction but the author makes it into a story. My knowledge of Pontus, the mithradatic wars and the surrounding areas greatly increased after I read this book.

im reading the fall of Carthage by goldsworthy now. I'd say it's a pretty good read especially if you're interested in tactics and strategy. This book has taught me that the Romans were experts at adaptation while Carthage lost the war due to their own issues.

thanks guys, i've added the titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    This thread is great and will help me build my library
    ive read the the poison king.. It's basically a historical novel. Everything is non fiction but the author makes it into a story. My knowledge of Pontus, the mithradatic wars and the surrounding areas greatly increased after I read this book.

im reading the fall of Carthage by goldsworthy now. I'd say it's a pretty good read especially if you're interested in tactics and strategy. This book has taught me that the Romans were experts at adaptation while Carthage lost the war due to their own issues.
    havent read these two yet... your short reviews have intrigued me. sounds great and both are fascinating topics indeed. thank you.

Michael Grantīs books are great introduction to various antiquity themes. My favorite book from him is The Jews in the Roman World I think itīs his best book.
    Last edited by tomySVK; February 15, 2015 at 04:12 AM.

Michael Grant has also written one called 'The Antontines: The Roman Empire in Transition' published by Routledge (1994) a good introduction to what Gibbon, in his rather biased view of society, deemed the period when humanity was happiest.