1 Corbita - 3500
    25 plebs - 875
    Gross Total: 7087denarii

Assets

1 Farm - Rome
    1 Salt Mine - Ostia
    1 Marble Mine - Rome

WIP
    Last edited by Rhapture; October 29, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

The Mad Skylord - Yesterday at 10:09 PM
    Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Default Re: Domitus Valerius

Horatius Claudius Quintillus arrived a little before noon at the Senators home.

Lucius Valerius is sitting in his study when a servant announces a certain Horatius Cluadius Quintillius has arrived. Lucius tells the steward to bring him into the study.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Horatius walks into the study and raises his hand
    "Salve my friend. I am Horatius Claudius Quintillus, I am one of the newly appointed Senators from the Concilium Plebis. Apologies for the unannounced intrusion. I haven't yet been able to hire a light footed messenger to assist me."

"Ave, Horatius" replies Valerius as he rises to greet his guest.
    "Please, take a seat," he gestures to a comfortable looking armchair, "Would you like a glass?" he raises the pitcher of wine.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Horatius sat down and exhaled slightly the Roman heat wasn't terrible yet, but it was getting there.
    "Ah please, if you wouldn't mind."
    He watched as the wine was poured and then had a small sip
    "Mmmm. This is quite nice. Sweet as opposed to that bitterness you often find. Do you make it from your own vineyards?"

"Ah, no, unfortunately. My family is not in the wine business just yet." He nods appreciatively. "But I am currently trying to work on a small trade to bring this to Rome. The source isn't always looked favorably on." He flashes a quick smile as he sits back down.
    "I rather doubt you just came to taste the vintage, however, Horatius. So what can I help you with?"

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"Ah, sources outside of Rome's landed elite rarely do approve of outside investiture."
    He nodded in agreement with the Senator.
    "You would be correct. There is a lack of....unity within the Senate. While I love to see many Plebeians elevated to the Senate level, we have not one but of unity among us. Patricians have been there for decades and have alliances that go back further than that. We have nothing of the sort just yet, and I fear that the more powerful Senators will try to take advantage of that fact and use it to keep the Plebeian voice quiet."
    He cleared his throat and continue
    "I'm not asking to condemn certain groups or radicalize our own, but if we could manage to create a bloc within the Senate, we could actually make some progress around this Republic."

Lucius nods.
    "Yes, we have not been united for over twenty years. Ever since we plebeians were granted the right to hold office, the old fire to be on equal terms as the patricians seems to have faded. We will need to use our economic influence to get what we want I am afraid. " He looks out the window momentarily. "Just this year alone, none of the plebeians are running for higher office. Such a disappointment."

'Well, we will need a central issue to rally the people around. Did you have one in mind?"

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"Unfortunately, I don't. There are so many things that can be done, that should be done. However, none will even reach discussion unless we can all find common ground to stand upon."
    He clasped his hands together and propped them on the arm of the chair
    "Have you any suggestions on what could help us become more unified within the Curia?"

Lucius looked down at his now empty cup. "Hmm, having a plebeian Consul would help. Too often we never have a say with that magistrate. If we could somehow force a law through that would guarantee the plebeians to always hold one of the Consul positions each year we might start with that." Lucius smiled deviously. " Once we get that, the plebeian Consul can start proposing more laws to help us get on a more level field."
    He looks back up at his guest, "What do you think?"

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Quintillus leaned back in his chair
    "A bold idea. A very bold idea. Some may even that it's traitorous to speak of such things, but the Republic laws do not forbid it and that's all that matters. I would get behind such a plan, depending on how much more support we can muster for it. No doubt ever non-Plebeian in the Senate will speak out against it, but I am sure we'll have a easy time convincing the people that improving their power within the Curia can only bring good things. Though I do fear that some may take more....threatening means toward us and the would be supporters should discussion of this began prematurely."

"Well we will have to gather more support among the other leaders of our class, and it may take a couple years as the younger ones gain experience and gravitas through the city. So even this first step is not an easy one to complete. After the elections we will have to meet up with the other plebeians to flesh out our plan. Then we can figure out how best to exert our pressure."
    He refills his cup and then tilts it back, nearly draining it.
    "My line, of course, goes back to the first Consul, Publius Valerius. He though even though we was a patrician he gave greatly to the people of Rome. So much that they gave him the cognomen, Poplicola. I see that once again the Valerii will have to lead the way for the over-looked of Rome again."

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

"Indeed. Perhaps invite them to your estate once elections have concluded. Mine is in disrepair at the moment and not large enough to give the comfort afforded to Senators."
    He waited for him to finish his cup
    "Ah, I did not know this. Perhaps you could tell me more of your family later on? I would very much like to hear it. Mine is nothing special. We are not leaders, we aren't even followers if I can be honest. My father, as his father and his father did not have esteemed positions. They held low level magistrate positions or manual labor jobs. You can imagine both the delight and shock when I was appointed a position within the Curia. I must lay what little legacy my family has here in this Senate, and do what I can to build upon it."

"Well you are taking the first steps in the right direction." He coughs. "However, my family history does not count among the Patricians as they disregard my Valerian origins now that this branch is plebeian."
    "I will set something else up after the elections then."

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

grouchy13's Avatar TW Mercenary Veteranii

A group of young Aventine Collegium members arrive at the residence of Lucius Valerius Policola, Luicus Tullius Varro eldest son of Titus emerges from the group sporting the gold necklace symbolising his status within the Collegium. In Rome it is known Lucius represents his Father in matters of importance, he requests an audience with Lucius Valerius...................
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

Lucius is among his outdoor gardens, when the steward informs him of visitors. He tells the steward to let them into the garden. He feels confined by the walls of the study at the moment.

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Luciusn Tullius Varro enters the fine garden,

'well met Senator, I come on matters of buisness with my Father. We are looking for partners in a mining corperation intrest. This would involve the members of the corpartion acting to collectively pool their resources for mutaul benefit. My Father has established that for a sole Senator to own an interest within each mining resource would cost a staggering 15k denarii, diversification from the production of these individual resources could potentially take a number of year, individually that is. Within the Corparation my Father is suggesting involved parties would establish the various Mine resource Production before sharing them with other members so as to facilitate the establishment of Contractors such Smiths and Mints etc etc.'

'Obvoiusly the establishment of such a corperation would be a great benefit to leading Plebs and would allow us to collectively generate wealth from such Contractual ventures than as opposed to us acting independantly, with wealth we could gain position whilst resources would allow to build structures that would be to our advantage much faster also. Would this be a venture that would interest you good Lucius?'
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

Lucius at on a bench nearby. He motioned for the slaves to bring wine and water.

"I am unsure what benefits I would get from such a 'venture'. I am afraid you will have to explain it more plainly"

Jesus
    You're a monster
    I love it

Lucius Tullius Varro joins his host on the bench,

'The benifits are as follows good Senator, the cost of building a mine to cover each resource would come in at a cool 15k, 2.5k Each mine 6 x resource. This expense can reduced by each member of the Corperation sharing the Talents of their respective Mining interets, I see you possess salt and iron interests you could share the produce for example with my Father who intends to build a silver and copper mine, likewise he would share talents of resource with you that you may save yourself the cost of developing the specific interests yourself.'

This would free you to do what you desire with the resource, Iron and Copper can be used to develop a Smith, Silver for a Minting house or Lead for Construction projects likewise you could sell them, trade them outside the Corperation or use them to gain political capital the choice is yours. The Plebs can gain ground by developing these interests between ourselves with minimal costs, saving capital to develop other interests and strengthen our respctive economies.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast