Thread: Dragonball Z topic.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: Dragonball Z topic.

For me the best part was the Red Ribbon Saga

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

I'm kind of disappointed with how things turned out with the humans, however. Saiyans, barring plot armored super-villains, are the end-all be-all. Everyone else is pretty much worthless other than as a distraction, a meat shield, or the occasional punch.

It would have been nice if Saiyans actually had a single flaw to them aside from the whole don't-touch-monkey-tail and don't-look-at-moon thing they have going for them.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Not really much of a flaw.

TO me the end all of the series was Goku first reaching supersaiyan and the fight against Freeza.

Well dang I can pretty much only echo everyone else and say I preferred Dragon Ball.
    Still I enjoyed DBZ until the Cell Saga was over. After that it was just so ugh.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Did anyone play this bad boy on playstation? It was never released in the US. I ordered it from some gaming magazine or something and had to have some special thing attached to the back of my Playstation for it work. But I liked it way more than the couple of games that were released in the US at the time. It was the first game to actually capture the feel of the fights with flying and the whole disappearing thing. Plus it had basically every character from DBZ and allowed for multiple people in a single fight. The other stuff at the time had better graphics but not nearly as many characters and were normal 2d side scrolling fighters. No flight or any of that.

This brings me back, I had a mod chip for this and Ultimate Battle 22 from an oriental trading store.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    I'm kind of disappointed with how things turned out with the humans, however. Saiyans, barring plot armored super-villains, are the end-all be-all. Everyone else is pretty much worthless other than as a distraction, a meat shield, or the occasional punch.

It would have been nice if Saiyans actually had a single flaw to them aside from the whole don't-touch-monkey-tail and don't-look-at-moon thing they have going for them.
    It was pretty cool when Tien held off Cell on his own, it sucks how we barely got any badass moments from human characters such as this.
    Last edited by irontaino; September 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Dragonball descended into kitsch.

The first time you see the over the top fights it's interesting, with the Google Glass telling you wow unbelievable power levels of your opponents! But in the end, the only parts worth watching are the character interactions, how Eighteen became matronly, Bulma decides to tame Vegeta and gives Trunks a totally false impression of his father, and Mr. Satan becomes the World's greatest hero.

Capsule Corp was a neat if minor deus ex machina device; though the initial Dragonball was a little juvenile and sparse, it started accumulating fun characters, with occasional PG-13 action (Japanese PG-13, to be clear).

But even if you reboot the series, you can't get away from a rather toxic legacy, the over the top powers. Bleach suffers from this syndrome as well, but the writer has managed to slow down that cancer, and tries to compensate by creating rather interesting three dimensional characters (though it takes ages before you get to find out about that depth).
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Problem might be that some fights just lasted too long and its pretty much always Goku saving the day. And if an enemy is said to have more forms, you just know you will see all of them and that they will be defeated at full power despite all logic. I mean, here is just a few very obvious moments where it should have been the end of an enemy:

-Mystic Gohan should have killed Buu. It would have been a good ending. The entire transformation just feels pointless now and Goku yet again saves the day.. it would have been a nice way for Gohan to come full circle and truly become the protector he was meant to be after the Cell saga.

-Cell should have died like 10 times already.
    The way he absorbs 17 is just rediculous.. he just stands there with his back turned to the chasm Cell was blown into. The androids also for some reason love to stick around Cell and dont seem to bother hiding. 16 could have killed Cell, Piccolo and 17 could have killed him, and Cell returning after blowing himself up was just rediculous, especially since he suddenly was even stronger for some lame reason.

-Krillin should have been able to kill practicly every enemy before Cell if he combined solar flare with destructo disc.
    Seriously, that attack seems to cut through enemies far superiour to him yet we never see him kill anyone with it. Could have killed Frieza for sure. Likely some of the Ginyu's too. Quite ironic that the guy who gets the most garbage about being weak actually could have dominated the series. But he's just held back by poor writing, because others are meant to be the hero.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Is everyone agreed here that Krillin is the strongest human ever? Tien is good, really REALLY good, but he just doesn't seem to have that destructo disk.

Destructo Disk would work against Freiza but anyone else afterwards:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Nah Tri Beam cannon saved a lot of peoples lives in the long run. It could at least slow villains down where as Krillin? Well look above.
    Not to mention Tien never stopped training, ever.

As I said, Krillin could have killed pretty much every enemy BEFORE Cell.
    Especially with Frieza it was most appearant.. He really should have killed Frieza in his second form, here it was most clear he could do that. Would have been pretty cool.. Goku fully healed up only to find out Krillin already won the battle.

While it's said that Krillin is stronger than Tien, I do think that overall Tien is stronger due to his constant training, especially once Krillin grows his hair and grows more casual in his training. Tien keeps training just as hard as always.
    Somehow Tien received a lot less screentime than Krillin though.

During Dragonball Z, Tien holding back Cell is by far the most noteworthy thing he did. Aside from this he did save Gohan from Buu and defeated a saibaman, but thats pretty much it.
    I really do think he should have been stronger.. maybe King Kai could have learned him a new move as well. Seemingly he only bothered to teach Goku new techniques.

Could have been pretty cool if Tien could at least put up a good fight against the androids before getting defeated, having a good fight against Cell in his first form, or defeat a Cell jr. Heck they could have at least used him in the garlic jr filler saga.

Perhaps they should just make a DBZ movie that focuses on characters other than the Saiyans. Could be just Krillin, Yamcha, Tien and Chiao tsu. Maybe they could enter a martial arts tournament in one of the years the others did not participate? Or maybe they could be invited to one that exludes the Saiyans and Nameks from competing because the organisers find it too dangerous?
    Heck, even android 18 could use more screentime.. she did not get to fight at all in the Cell saga and seemingly never got any stronger.

This is filler though

​Best filler is when they were learning how to drive

I find it butt ing hilarious when she about how Goku can't drive.

The better question is why can't she drive? He doesn't need to drive, the

guy can I don't know fly?!

Spartan, don't you remember the lesson learned from Golden Time? Women are bad drivers

Destructo Disk would work against Freiza but anyone else afterwards:
    If i recall correctly Krilin used that against frieza, and it didnt work, only was able to cut his tail off, if the adversary can evade it, then whats the point?
    He also tried against the sayans, vegeta / Nappa without much consequence.
    Just because that atack might have workd against them it doesnt mean krilin could pull it off.
    If you arent fast enough to hit them, then it doesnt matter does it?
    Anyway thats how i see it anyway.

I think their talking about WITH solar flair. The ideas is that you blind your

opponent and than bam, you cut your opponents head off

Quote Originally Posted by ☩Lord Inquisitor Derpy Hooves☩ View Post
    Spartan, don't you remember the lesson learned from Golden Time? Women are bad drivers
    I thought the lesson was to be ready to DODGE whenever you see a woman holding a

bunch of roses in the streets
    Last edited by Spartan999; September 29, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

I never watched DB but it's on the "To watch" list now. Has anyone watched DBZ Abridged? It's ing hilarious.

Summary of the first series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5R...C7B047181AD013
    Last edited by High Fist; September 29, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

I think their talking about WITH solar flair. The ideas is that you blind your

opponent and than bam, you cut your opponents head off
    I also recall that didnt always work, specialy if the adversary knew about that atack already. I recall didnt working with vegeta, and in with Cell.

But it was never used along with solar flare. They only seem to use solar flare to escape and never combined it with an attack.