Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Altered Carbon (Netflix)

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Altered Carbon (Netflix)

God the production values of this TV series are making me drool.

Less than a month away. And best thing is that it already apparently has a confirmed second season so not much risk in getting into it.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Does look rather spectacular...

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I love cyberpunk and am disappointed when every cyberpunk movie or game that comes out is a financial flop. Hope this is good.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Blog Entries

I think it will be. The first episode will be directed by Sapochnik (Battle of the Bastards and Hardhome) which [hopefully] means that the subsequent directors will try to emulate the style and quality of that first episode.

We shall see.

I am interested in reading the novel. Has anyone here read it?

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I am interested in reading the novel. Has anyone here read it?
    Yeah, big fan of the book and its sequels. Highly recommended. Been following the production of the show for a good while and looking forward to it, it definitely looks the part. Only worry I have is some changes they've made to fundamental aspects of the character and lore, which don't seem very good or necessary.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Eager to watch it.

btw the song from the trailer is the beginning of the end, nine inch nails
    Last edited by mishkin; January 12, 2018 at 10:47 AM.

Mark Anthony is in it?!! Great ill watch it of course.

Blog Entries

Today is the premiere and my expectations have dropped considerably: metacritic: 68

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I must say that I am really enjoying it thus far. Not read the source material (Im definitely a novel elitist so if I did read it I probably wouldn’t watch it) so went into it blind.

Personally have a lot of time for nuRobocop and Mark Antony and the other actors are all good enough for my tastes. Nice to see a main character smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Everything on Netflix is mediocre at best. Not suprised for scores. But i need to see it because i love SciFi.
    Last edited by gastovski; February 02, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Ah yes...mediocre. The word people use when they don't feel like actually saying why a show isn't any good.

First episode hooked me. Gonna have to take it slow though.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I've never really seen cyber punk anything (does Matrix count?). But it has James Purefoy so I guess it is worth a shot.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Blog Entries

(after watching two episodes). There are many cool things (the hotel, the trade in bodies, immortality for the elite, the mystic/philosophical resistence movement, the actors are not bad...) but I have the impression that the series is lost in a very large world that they will not be able to cover. They can get lost if they do not focus a couple of aspects / crimes / whatever.

I don't mind the series being lost in the large world at least for the first season. It gives the story a focus while leaving the viewer in a sense of wonder. If they get a second season then you get to explore.

That first episode was quite awesome.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I'm going to start this tonight, seems like it's been pretty well received.

Blog Entries

I can not believe that in the 25th century (or whatever) they have not invited not harmful to health cigarettes.

I have reached episode four and I still believe that the narrative is a bit confusing (not that the plot is complicated). Anyway I would rate it with a 6.5 or a 7.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I can not believe that in the 25th century (or whatever) they have not invited not harmful to health cigarettes.
    Humanity will always have its substance abuse. Not necessarily because they can't invent unharmful or less harmful but similar substances. But mostly because original substances just tend to do better. That's where the money will be at.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Only seen ep1, very impressive...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Humanity will always have its substance abuse. Not necessarily because they can't invent unharmful or less harmful but similar substances. But mostly because original substances just tend to do better. That's where the money will be at.
    Yes, I get it. But anyway I quitted smoking like three years ago and I think I would kill for unharmful cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Only seen ep1, very impressive...
    It has its low moments, but after having seen chapter six I would say it gets better. if you do not mind discovering babymetal in the process, by the way.

One episode in, so far so good. Really hoping it stays away from political allegory...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast