Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 183334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Dragonball Z topic.

Default Re: Dragonball Z topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Yeah it is broly of course. But it does indeed look like yamcha in that poster

Also he has Old Saiyan armor from what i read. i think Broly is the reason why the original saiyan planet (sadala), got blown up. And i think Frieza knows something about it.
    Nah, he was born few days before Frieza blew up planet Vegeta, I don't think Saiyans moved from Sadala to Vegeta and built up there in that short timeframe, just to get another planet blown up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Nah, he was born few days before Frieza blew up planet Vegeta, I don't think Saiyans moved from Sadala to Vegeta and built up there in that short timeframe, just to get another planet blown up quickly.
    Yeah i saw the 90s movie... but from what i can tell

New Canon Broly has different story. For one we know he was frozen in his capsule in some Ice planet maybe for a long long time centuries or maybe thousands of years who knows...( also a call back to one of the old movies i recon)
    Im only saying because early before the release of the poster, some info was pointing it out that was some ancient frozen saiyan. Now we know it is Broly for sure.
    So im not so sure this new broly will have the same backstory, or will be the same age of Vegeta and Goku.

Sadala was blown up in some saiyan cilvil war i think. Probably the one when Yamoshi was arround, that is unclear.

I just theorizing that the Canon Broly might have been involved in that. Maybe.

Frieza might know something because king cold might have know something as well. All i know is that Frieza and the frieza force might have some role in the movie as well. At anycase New Broly seems to feature some gold old saiyan armor, like the ones Frieza force uses. So you might be right, he probably was born in planet Vegeta.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 15, 2018 at 04:44 PM.

The irony of Broly is that his character success shows at the same time how much Toriyama has abused the concept of the Super Saiyan. The first apperance against Frieza is generally listed as most people's favourite moment in DBZ, because that was the realization of ''the legend''. Then you had 2,3, (4), red, blue, pink and it lost its charm. Broly on the other side is a throwback to the original concept, the legend, seemingly unlimited energy, insanely powerful and that's why it's cool. It makes you hate all of the above mentioned evolution.

I'm all for Frieza being in the new movie anyway. Also, the last 2 movies were better than the episodes based on them. Especially the fighting sequences. Battle of Gods is vastly superior to Dragonball Super episodes based on it. There are way too many side stories in them.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I would prefer it if King Vegeta just blew up Planet Sadala to kill off his rivals. That would just make King Vegeta way more badass.
    Broly should just have a grudge against Vegeta for submitting to Frieza. The Goku and Broly connection never made sense, neither did Frieza and Goku for that matter.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

How do you exactly see a Goku - Frieza connection? Do you mean like they now seem to have in super or when they originally met?

Patrician

In Dragon Ball Z they tried to force a Freeza-Goku connection. As far as characters go there is nothing there, Goku was not Freeza's enemy, it was Vegeta. They even inserted the "I killed your father bit" which didn't work because it was rather meaningless at the time. Even more because Goku responded with "I don't care".

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Never seen it that way. First time im hearing it. The connection i get from Frieza and Goku, its the rivalry they have because of the events on Namek. ( wich is more then enough if you ask me.).

And yes The Broly Goku thing never made much sense. But then again Broly itself never made much sense to me as a character. ( not the concept). Hopefully Toryama aimed at changing that.

Patrician

Right but that is after the Namek arc to begin with. At the time when Freeza was first introduced there was no character arc or character connection between Freeza and Goku. It was extremely forced and Goku is jammed into Vegeta's story arc because plot. Goku as a protagonist really had no place in the Namek story arc and the quality dropped the moment he was introduced into that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Right but that is after the Namek arc to begin with. At the time when Freeza was first introduced there was no character arc or character connection between Freeza and Goku. It was extremely forced and Goku is jammed into Vegeta's story arc because plot. Goku as a protagonist really had no place in the Namek story arc and the quality dropped the moment he was introduced into that story.
    Not sure i agree with this... but i agree that vegeta had obviously a beef with Frieza, for several reasons. Goku went to namek to save his friends. It doesnt seem specialy forced to me.

Patrician

And from that point on there was basically no story. Goku's personal arc was not that relevant to the entire story arc at large.

What do you mean there was no story? they fought, frieza killed vegeta, killed krilin, goku best friend, and thus making Goku transform into the "legendary warrior", proceeded to beat him in and humiliate him a fashionable way. Both go out in a blaze of Glory, only to find out later on that both survived. Next is just the typical revenge story that never does take in ( Frieza coming back as mecha frieza was a waste of a good oportunity, as ressurection of frieza showed.

the issue you might find is that it is all Goku centered but that is Dragon ball for you in a nutshell.

Patrician

What do you mean there was no story? they fought, frieza killed vegeta, killed krilin, goku best friend, and thus making Goku transform into the "legendary warrior", proceeded to beat him in and humiliate him a fashionable way. Both go out in a blaze of Glory, only to find out later on that both survived. Next is just the typical revenge story that never does take in ( Frieza coming back as mecha frieza was a waste of a good oportunity, as ressurection of frieza showed.
    There was no reason in the story for Goku to even fight Frieza. They fight because... I dunno why.

the issue you might find is that it is all Goku centered but that is Dragon ball for you in a nutshell.
    Yeah and that's a bad thing. Also no, Dragon Ball didn't always have this sloppy writing.

Blog Entries

that's not entirely true, it might have been lazy writing but there's not no reason at all.. I mean, Krillin, Bulma and Gohan go to Namek for the dragon balls. So they can revive those who died during the Vegata Saga. Goku knows that Krillin, Bulma and Gohan are in danger and thus makes the journey to Namek himself. The rest is relative self serving, due to the events the Z fighters come into contact with Frieza, Frieza kills Vegeta but not before he can tell Goku what has happened to their race etc. When Goku (I believe even tells him that he does not particulary care about that) but decides to continue the fight as to honor Vegeta's request and due to the rage Goku had for Frieza killing Vegeta so mercilessly.

That does make sense to me or were you referring to something else?
    Last edited by General Brewster; July 18, 2018 at 05:47 AM.

Patrician

I agree with that, the first one though is only a reason for Goku to go to Namek. There is no character connection between Freeza and Goku, they don't even know each other.

Blog Entries

I see your point and agree but literally the only reason he went was because they were in danger. They don't learn about Frieza until King Kai telepathically tells Goku that Frieza is there and that he should avoid him at all costs because he's the strongest in the universe.

Vegeta should have been the kill switch on Frieza though, both here and in B.O.G but hey.. we're still talking about Toriyama here

Patrician

Well Goku didn't even meet Freeza until the very end.
    The encounter was really short and there was no investment, Freeza "you look like Bardock" and Goku responds "I don't care". Then Vegeta says "he killed your father, kill Freeza" and Goku responds "I don't care". The best moment of that entire thing was Vegeta dying and Goku's interference becomes tiresome. Goku basically realizes his entire character arc when he accepts that he is a Saiyan, but that was a poorly done arc because Goku never cared about that and to him it doesn't mean anything, he is just really strong.

This is why Goku is an uninteresting character now, because he has no arc and he has no investment in the story anymore. This is why everyone likes the villains and anti-heroes in Dragon Ball, because they behave in a more interesting way or at least have some kind of arc. Goku's arc at this point is literally just "my hair changes colour if I train more". Granted Goku was never the most interesting character but he still had a better story prior to going Super Saiyan. I think that a lot of people love the Cell arc but it is actually for the subconscious reason that Goku is not present for the majority of the arc.

People want to see Vegeta surpass Goku, Gohan become a real character, learn Trunks' backstory and generally just see other characters do something. I think that the Vegeta thing is really the reason why people were still watching Dragon Ball Super, as well as to see if any of the other characters would come back. Let's be honest we all wanted to see Vegeta fight Jiren and given the sorts of characters they were, it made for a more interesting scenario than Goku versus Jiren.

Yeah and that's a bad thing. Also no, Dragon Ball didn't always have this sloppy writing.
    Yes it did, imo. What we are talking about happened in Dragon ball Z. That is old stuff. It isnt Super.

There is no character connection between Freeza and Goku, they don't even know each other.
    And? since when was that a prerequisite in Dragon ball? The story of Frieza and Goku begun being told when they meet at Namek. That is my take on it.

King Piccolo beef was with roshi Master not with Goku, but nonetheless was Goku who beat him.
    Its how shonen goes most of the time.

we're still talking about Toriyama here
    The guy who even forgot there was a Super Saiyan 3 or something.

Also i doubt, up until certain point he wasnt as evolved in Dragon ball series. he just have people to manage his empire, and it has been so for a long time now. While he Eats, s and drinks into an early grave like Robert Baratheon
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 19, 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Trailer is out...

AWESOME!!!!!

The untold story of the saiyans. It does look promising. Hope is as interesting as it looks.

That Broly Roar was something... imo. Also was that a grey beard looking Paragus? Cool.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; July 20, 2018 at 02:20 PM.

Looks neat.

Kind of since Broly technically gets an immense power boost without any transformation compared to the past, let's hope they don't go too far with the conceptual nonsense.

Blog Entries

I'm absolutely nostalgic by the new animation! The fact you see SSB go toe to toe with Broly base shows we're getting a weak ass ending though.. Either Broly comes to senses, Goku goes UIM, Goku and Vegeta fuse or Zeno steps in. Am very happy to see this though, Vegeta's armor looks to be on point again. Same color as in the Namek Saga. I'm really looking forward to this.