Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family Tree is USELESS!

Hadro's Avatar Civis

Default Family Tree is USELESS!

Hi All,

Controversial point, I know; but the family tree is useless. The entire game spans a max of 60 years. Which is what? 2 generations, maybe 3. PLUS, with 4 tpy the aging of a character from birth to 16 (when they became generals in rome 1) would take 64 turns!

I love the idea, do not get me wrong. But it worked in Rome 1 because the time span was much larger and time passed in 1 tpy

Good to see it back in the game, though I can't help but feel it would work better in Rome 2 than Atilla....

CPU:
    i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz OC (Cooler master hyper evo 212)
    Mobo: Asus Z87-a
    GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC edition

Default Re: Family Tree is USELESS!

Agreed now we have a family tree when it doesnt matter you have got to be kidding me. Are they thinking?

Also the point of the family tree in those games is so that Generals do not teleport. And armies could be fielded by Captains instead. I haven't read or heard anything if this change will come to pass. That is one of several features that the "Family Tree" system was used for.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Shogun 2, the best TW game, had the best family trees. The length of the game does not matter.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I completely disagree, since characters will have more impact on the game.

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

I think that Attilla is going to be similar to FOTS where it's improvements will be implemented in the base game.

Or at least, that is the only circumstance where I would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    I think that Attilla is going to be similar to FOTS where it's improvements will be implemented in the base game.

Or at least, that is the only circumstance where I would buy it.
    If it is not implemented in the base game hopefully it at least can be modded in for those who want it.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I completely disagree, since characters will have more impact on the game.
    That is also why I like Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurais family trees best. No getting a 10 command 10 dread general who dies of old age 2 turns later.

Rome II is announced: Threads complain about lack of family tree.
    Attila is announced: Threads complain about family tree.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge o' Scoundrel."

-Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Captain W. Handberg View Post
    It's like wack-a-mole. After you deal with one, another appears right after.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

It's not useless, especially not considering that it is more than a family tree. I like to know who my dynasty is. Before, you had no idea. Where the people in your "Family" actually related to you? They did not share your name, and their ages made no sense. Were they simply a part of your individual political faction?

Now you know who your sons are. Your brothers, or your daughters.

On top of that, I really do like the look of that political office thing. I am wondering how it will work. I would like to be able to appoint whoever I want to any position, with benefits or negatives to the faction depending on whether they are suitable for it, and political influence rising or dropping according to how many of my family members are in office as opposed to the rival factions. I didn't like Rome II's system of office, where you basically just bought "Upgrades" in political position. It was silly.

Plus, the rather vague "Governor" system is also worked from the family tree now, apparently. I do not really know what it is, but it sounds quite interesting.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Captain W. Handberg View Post
    And this without most people here having even played the game. I'm guessing when Attila releases, or especially the next title in the series, people will start going on about how great Rome II is/was compared to the new title, as well.

my eternal thanks to the EB team for making R:TW such an epic game, and to TWC and all other modders for pushing the boundaries with each Total War title .

14182's Avatar Miles

Please prepare to pay another €30 for a longer DLC campaign, so that you can utilize the family tree feature

I won't be pre ordering this game, I feel we should have gotten much of it free instead of "patch 15" but this is something easily moddable, don't know why people are complaining about this.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

There needs to be some sort of mechanism that allows you to change dynasty. If not, you are going to be playing as a single dynasty ruling for all of eternity. Which is boring.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Hadro View Post
    Hi All,

Controversial point, I know; but the family tree is useless. The entire game spans a max of 60 years. Which is what? 2 generations, maybe 3. PLUS, with 4 tpy the aging of a character from birth to 16 (when they became generals in rome 1) would take 64 turns!

I love the idea, do not get me wrong. But it worked in Rome 1 because the time span was much larger and time passed in 1 tpy

Good to see it back in the game, though I can't help but feel it would work better in Rome 2 than Atilla....
    Rome 1 is 2 turns per year. The longer turns per year the more important to have a family tree.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

Wait, was there an official statement on the start and end dates for the campaign?
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    There needs to be some sort of mechanism that allows you to change dynasty. If not, you are going to be playing as a single dynasty ruling for all of eternity. Which is boring.
    If your family tree dies out a new dynasty emerges, so it's not game over like in the other games.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Family trees are pointless anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadro View Post

Vanilla RTW had 2 tpy.

Still I agree that a family tree with only 2-3 generations is more of fan service than an actual gameplay thing. Although it is a nice addition and they should never again remove it for future titles.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast