Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total war Attila?

Default Total war Attila?

Hello all!

For those of you whom watched EGX today, there will be an expansion pack for rome 2 called Attila:total war

this expansion will have many new features including family tree system, scorched earth policy, fires spreading real time through cities as you fight in them, civilians that hang out in the city and help you try to defend it, improved graphics and rendering system, new ui and building browser, etc.

My question is, with all of these new changes will DEI somehow change over to Attila whenever it releases. It's a superior system in general plus many features from Attila won't be added to Rome 2, like the family tree.

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Total war Attila?

I would imagine Dresden and his team will make DEI for Attila as well as keeping the existing DEI for Rome II (for people who don't buy it.) Will they change the time period of Attila to that of Rome II? Who knows. It's up to them. It will require an awful lot of work after all.
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

Yeah I can only hope that they can convert Attila into the game Rome 2 should have been, but only time will tell. At CA's rate of releasing mod tools though, I don't see it happening. Maybe a DeI for attila, but not a conversion. A man can dream though xD

Attila is a standalone release and a very different game from Rome 2. We will have to see more about it and actually have access to the game before we will be able to make any sort of decisions.

My first reaction is that it is unlikely we will be making an entirely new DeI for Attila anytime soon. We have many more ideas still left for the Rome 2 setting. Making the mod for Attila would essentially be starting over in terms of research, units, and game mechanics. I won't rule out that in the far future some DeI team members may choose to make some sort of DeI-like mod for Attila, but it most certainly won't be a simple port of the existing DeI.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiTJ2 View Post
    Will they change the time period of Attila to that of Rome II?
    If it's moddable and DEI team will take it's time and make from Atilla a Rome II that we all always wanted then I forgive CA, partly lol But if it's same engine and too much is changed so modding would be too hard, then, then nothing changes toward CA. I really think some of new features should have been part of Rome II and now they are just selling points.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yes, we would have to look first at how some stuff works in Attila, because it would really suck if stuff like pike phalanx would not be present there. Not to mention new campaign map.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Dresden, I don't know much about modding, but what is your guess, is Attila would be convertable to a Rome II? Since it's same engine, does it mean you don't have to make too much of a new work, like units, re-skins?

Wow, I have to say CA are finally heading in the right direction with their games! I love the sound of the new city damage/razing mechanics and the time period too. But yeah this is going to be a whole different game and would need to be modded pretty much from scratch!

Hopefully it might not even need modding! From the screens they seemed to have toned down unit colours and it does look alot more gritty and realistic. (fingers crossed)

My message to DeI team :
    Attila will be THE game, all of the new features ( ok some of them aren't new like families trees. ) are just awesome.
    Rome II should have be like this ...
    It's a shame, but I'm pretty sure that a Rome II campaign like will have to be done on Attila.
    I don't think players will back on Rome II after playing with the new siege system, ect ...

Quote Originally Posted by Purplzhazy View Post
    My message to DeI team :
    Attila will be THE game, all of the new features ( ok some of them aren't new like families trees. ) are just awesome.
    It's a shame, but I'm pretty sure that a Rome II campaign like will have to be done on Attila.
    I don't think players will back on Rome II after playing with the new siege system, ect ...
    Do you remember before Rome 2 released? Hype Hype Hype, CA will do anything to Hype people up into believing their game is going to be awesome. You would think people would wise up after what happened on September 3rd, 2013.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Post Hoc View Post
    Do you remember before Rome 2 released? Hype Hype Hype, CA will do anything to Hype people up into believing their game is going to be awesome. You would think people would wise up after what happened on September 3rd, 2013.
    I'm pretty sure Attila will be good.
    Like I said, it's a shame, because 6 months ago, CA was saying that dynastic trees ect is useless. And now : DYNASTIC TREES FOR 60 euros !

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Yes, we would have to look first at how some stuff works in Attila, because it would really suck if stuff like pike phalanx would not be present there. Not to mention new campaign map.
    I don't think it would suck actually.

If Pike and hoplite phalanx wasn't there then we wouldn't have to deal with their bugginess anymore. I'm basically tired of how awful CA's formations are in Rome II to the point where I'll be happy to have a game where all they have to worry about is "shield wall" and have done with it. Sick to death with how idiotic the AI is when it comes to formations. Hopefully a game where there are less of them will just make everyone less stressed.

Yes everything in Attila sounds like THIS should have been what Rome 2 was supposed to be.

Of course it's going to be a while before release, and probably longer until mods for it show up, but honestly I think once Attila releases with all of the new features, it would give the DeI team the chance to make custom campaigns. I know it's already been talked about in the past and it would require a load of work on the modders behalf, but once ATTILA drops, it will be THE total war game, Rome 2 will just simply be obsolete if none of the changes make it from attila. While it would be nice to think that CA would implement the new UI, new siege features, new graphics and rendering engine in rome 2, I HIGHLY doubt that will happen.

Of course, this is all for the future and just speculation. I don't expect the DeI to break their arms and legs to please everyone, especially with all of the ungodly amount of work that goes into overhauls like these.
    But that's just my humble opinion

Attila will be THE game
    I'm pretty sure Attila will be good.
    How a game can be good without my unbreakable hypaspists and glorious hetairoi.. You must be joking, right?

I am expecting that Attila will be a very different game from Rome 2. Yes it has some features we wanted in Rome 2, but who knows what else it may have that fits its focus/time period but doesn't fit the Rome 2 time period. Also, all of the units and other aspects will be based in that time period. We will have to see how much is ported back into Rome 2. I also want to know the rules about taking game content from one and modding it into another (which may be frowned upon, given users would be getting content without buying the game).

Many people are also assuming that it will be amazing. Let us remember how amazing Rome 2 looked when it was announced. Granted, they have had a year of Rome to get the engine and other issues corrected (and the standalones are usually very good).

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

On a gameplay basis I think Rome 2 and Attila will be very much alike, not a great incentive to go there and rebuild from scratch.

90% of the already announced "new" features from Attila could easily be in Rome 2 - Divide et Impera... if the modding tools were available!

Semisalis

My message to DeI team :
    You shouldnt hype too much... I bet you are going to flame about Attila Total war when it releases. Seeing the history of Total war, the AI, system etc are similar often even worse than the previous title. Pre alpha footage and press talk is total talk. The graphics in alpha footage sega showed for rome 2 was better than the final game with the comment of the CA guy "this is alpha footage, when it releases it will look much better".

A few of the "new things" like the fires and the civilians were supposed to be in the original release. I'm not holding my breath. Great job on the mod DEI team. Your's continues to be the one I want to play more of.

I don't think much has changed from Rome 2 to Attila. The only marked improvements where its UI and functions. Graphics looked actually worse than rome 2 (atleast the campaign map did, the sea looked better tho) and the units looked just as they do in Rome 2.

As Butan said if they actually gave you free roam with the games engine for modding you'd be able to do atleast 90% (hopefully the nuking bit isn't one of them ) of what they presented for Attila to Rome.

My favorite thing about Attila from what I saw are civilians which can help you when siege battles going on, it's actually pretty cool and long awaited feature which adds a lot to the immersion and fun. I won't buy this game no matter what until ordinary people start to say it's a good game, honestly after total fail with Rome 2 when even The Guardian gave them 2 of 5 stars and it was huge for CA, I don't think they can screw this time, but I'm sure it will take 2-3 patches at least to make it fully playable, hopfully no more than a couple of months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast