Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Attila and the Reality of the Situation

Default Total War: Attila and the Reality of the Situation

Hey guys,

As most of you guys know, CA has announced their next TW game with is very similar to what they did following Empire with Napoleon they are doing again with Rome 2 and Attila. It's basically a BI 2. So what does the next game have to do with this mod. Let me cut to chase, I'm planning on porting this mod to Attila some time after it comes out. If you look at what they have said in terms of features, screenshots plus other associated things that go with this era, I believe that it is for the best that I make this call. If you are doubting this, let me break it down why this will work for the mod's benefit.

1. Family Trees:

This pretty much speaks for itself. Having a family tree system to use with this mod would make it more complete campaign wise than just on Rome 2, assuming they don't it to R2 of course.

2. Different Cities and Buildings:

The buildings look closer to Medieval buildings and further more cities like Constantinople will no doubt be in the game now which works better with MK than with this game. This will save us a lot of modding work later.

3. Crossbows and Other Additions:

With the addition of crossbows there is a major Medieval weapon currently missing from MKTW that would be utilized more in my mod. Also various Eastern armors and Hunnic faces and armor could be used for the Mongols and the like. I'm sure you can find even more examples. This way we don't have to make our own animations, saving time.

4. Religion:

No doubt religion is playing a bigger part of the game, there is a screenshot out there showing the list of implemented religions including Catholicism and Orthodox, the only thing missing would be Islam but that should be too hard to adjust.

5. The Aesthetic:

Based off the live stream footage the game just feels more Medieval than Rome 2 does.

Those are just off the top of my head and who knows what else they might show to sway me further. The only thing that does concern me a little is if the models are in a different format, honestly I doubt that would happen but I intend to look into it further to be sure by looking at Napoleon and Empire. I could take stuff from ATW for this mod but I feel there's more to get from porting from Rome 2 to Attila than the other way around. To clarify I still plan to make one more release for Rome 2 depending on how long it takes for Attila to come out and be modifiable.

Leave your thoughts below, just keep them focused on this mod. Please no CA bashing or similar snide remarks. Let's just focus on the reality of what is happening.

Default Re: Total War: Attila and the Reality of the Situation

I completely agree. This seems to be the best idea.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Well, the huns could be the Mongol, as they appear later in the game but are not playable ( source IGN UK article ).

Sure ATW is full of content that apply to the mod, like places, burning cities, crossbows or greek voices for Nicaea and Trezibond.

The only thing that kinda suck is that a lot of people wanting this mod would have to pay for a standalone they may not want.

I fully support this decision. It sounds like it's giving us almost everything we've been missing for both the campaign and the units. We can still work on content for Rome II, but porting our work over sounds like it won't be that much of a problem. I hope.

And I'm not worried about making a standalone expansion the base of our game. It's pretty clear that the Kingdoms expansion has eclipsed Medieval 2 due to its mods, and I feel that Attila has the potential to do the same for Rome II.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Agreed! The first thing I thought of when I saw the release would how this modification would be better off on this Title.
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

Fantastic, can't wait to see it in the new title!

i guess it fits better and will solve the question I had earlier

Keep up the great work

Makes sense to me too.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

I was about to suggest this as my first post in this forum yesterday. I totally agree. I want to see Genoese pavise crossbowmen and the mighty Golden Horde!
    And don't worry about people not paying extra money. I know some people who bought M2: K just for the Third Age mod because it's so well-made that the expansion was merely a stepping stone. Put your passion into work and people shall see its worth, Good Luck!

I think it would be most ideal for this to be on Attila, you've got some assets more suited for the Medieval period and the location of cities/regions/provinces seem more suited to the Medieval period rather than the antiquity period of Republican Rome/Principate. Though I hope one day CA will release landmass tools for both Rome 2 and Attila as both really need a larger map for 4TPY to work on a realistic timeframe and also for this mod to make better represent the Medieval period.

Matamoros's Avatar Tiro

You're absolutely right.
    Best decision you can make now.
    I have tons of fun with your mod and I thank you for that.
    Good luck and Godspeed.
    Nuestra Seńora de Las Mercedes ha resurgido del fondo del océano para concluir su viaje.
    200 a
    ńos después los piratas pierden. El oro vuelve a Espańa. Misión cumplida.

Will this mod be fully developed and completed for Rome 2, or will all production of the mod drop until Atilla is released?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Well I don't play this era at all, but just seeing the quality of the units and the time that you guys have put into this mod I downloaded and tried it out, was absolutely blown away!!

Well done and I will certainly play the atilla expansion if you decide to make one as I will not be purchasing another title from CA.

EDIT: Misread the first post, if this mod continues on Rome 2 that would be great but I agree that the announcment of "Attila" it will be easier for builidings and map etc..good luck with this mod it will be a blast!
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; September 27, 2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oforrsteel View Post
    Will this mod be fully developed and completed for Rome 2, or will all production of the mod drop until Atilla is released?
    We will still be working on content for Rome II in the meantime. TW:A won't be released until 2015, so there's still lots of time for more additions in TW:RII. I'm currently of the mind that we can have, at least in the short term, "MK:TW 1212 AD Lite" for TW:RII, in which custom battles will be available, but only TW:A will have the full campaign. Once CA releases map editing tools, we'll see what the future holds.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

I completely agree with you and I'll buy the Attila expansion just to play this mod
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

I agree with you about waiting for Attila Warman but until then would you please release the Islamic units as many of us play custom battles as I for one am really looking forward to battles with them. I have been enjoying the mod and wish you every success.

Does that mean thjat you will have to stop working on this mod until Attila is released?

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

They take my money for Attila only to play this mod

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    I agree with you about waiting for Attila Warman but until then would you please release the Islamic units as many of us play custom battles as I for one am really looking forward to battles with them. I have been enjoying the mod and wish you every success.
    You can expect a preview on some of the islamic units this week

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Ltd. View Post
    You can expect a preview on some of the islamic units this week
    Thats Great news Ltd thanks Please give us those Units when they are ready to keep us occupied until the mod is finished on the Attila game.

Wonderful!! Great idea, I figured you might do this once I saw Atilla was forthcoming. Seems the best way to go about it, no doubt.

A little off topic a question but humor me; will you be adjusting the date at all for the campaign? I ask because I'm a big Byzantine guy and it would be a shame if they didn't make it into your campaign. A start date of 1200 or even 1204 on the eve of the Latin conquest and 2 years before the Mongols would be most excellent!

The Empire of Nicaea just doesn't do justice. =)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast