Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Huns are not going to be playable

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: The Huns are not going to be playable

From wiki;

"The Huns first appeared in Europe in the 4th century. They show up north of the Black Sea around 370. The Huns crossed the Volga river and attacked the Alans, whom they subjugated."

If this was the case, why wouldn't they be playable?

EDIT: Also;

In 395 the Huns began their first large-scale attack on the Eastern Roman Empire.[15] Huns attacked in Thrace, overran Armenia, and pillaged Cappadocia. They entered parts of Syria, threatened Antioch, and swarmed through the province of Euphratesia.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiđinn Veđr: Total War

matmohair1's Avatar Domesticus

not strange at all, quite predictable from the Uncreative assembly
    & don't forget the Mongols where unplayable in Medieval II

I actually dont mind I am sure there are other hunic type factions, we need the huns to be an unstoppable force.
    Just having a "Hun Faction" is not enough, I want these guys to be the terrible horde that every faction on the map was either fleeing from or bracing themselves for.

Maybe they want to present the Huns as a force of nature whose shadow you have to live under for the entire game, preparing and waiting to finally stand against it. A bizarre decision, if it's true.

On the other hand, something tells me that this is a mistake or wrongly worded.

10/10 "Would speculate again" - IGN

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

From CA's own words, they said this game was supposed to be a unique "Survival Strategy" experience. The Huns will be monsters, razing and pillaging across Europe, a seemingly unstoppable force that you will need to stand against.

The game is named Attila, not because you are supposed to be the Huns, but because you are supposed to defeat the Huns. You are supposed to withstand the Huns.

Personally, I have little interest in playing Horse Archer factions. I like heavy infantry and pikes, so I probably would not play much as the Huns anyway. But as it is, I do like this idea. It seems unique.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Sounds like they'll just be a beefed up version of the Mongols from M2TW. Personally, I'm okay with this. There will presumably be plenty of steppe factions for HA lovers to play.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    From CA's own words, they said this game was supposed to be a unique "Survival Strategy" experience. The Huns will be monsters, razing and pillaging across Europe, a seemingly unstoppable force that you will need to stand against.

The game is named Attila, not because you are supposed to be the Huns, but because you are supposed to defeat the Huns. You are supposed to withstand the Huns.

Personally, I have little interest in playing Horse Archer factions. I like heavy infantry and pikes, so I probably would not play much as the Huns anyway. But as it is, I do like this idea. It seems unique.
    For a moment, i thought of an Alien: Isolation and Total War crossover.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by D@gget View Post
    For a moment, i thought of an Alien: Isolation and Total War crossover.
    that. is. messed. up....... dude.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    that. is. messed. up....... dude.
    Well, Isolation is survival horror, right? and Total War is strategy. Attila would be the Alien in the Roman spaceship. Sometimes my imagination runs too wild.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by D@gget View Post
    Well, Isolation is survival horror, right? and Total War is strategy. Attila would be the Alien in the Roman spaceship. Sometimes my imagination runs too wild.
    Yep it is awesome!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Seems like it will be similar to the mongols in Med 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    From wiki;

"The Huns first appeared in Europe in the 4th century. They show up north of the Black Sea around 370. The Huns crossed the Volga river and attacked the Alans, whom they subjugated."

If this was the case, why wouldn't they be playable?

EDIT: Also;

In 395 the Huns began their first large-scale attack on the Eastern Roman Empire.[15] Huns attacked in Thrace, overran Armenia, and pillaged Cappadocia. They entered parts of Syria, threatened Antioch, and swarmed through the province of Euphratesia.

Yes, but these were the White Huns or Hephtalites not the Huns from Attila's tribe. The Hephtalites are others. In 395 they subjugated the Syria, and even captured it for the moment, until 398.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Quote Originally Posted by matmohair1 View Post
    & don't forget the Mongols where unplayable in Medieval II
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictator Of The Roman Republic View Post
    Seems like it will be similar to the mongols in Med 2.

The difference is that M2 wasn't called "Mongols TW" or "Genghis TW." From what I've read I think I understand what CA are going for, and I actually like the sound of it - my initial experience with BI as the WRE was indeed a case of balls-to-the-wall desperate defence vs the hordes, but after a few play-throughs they became less demonic and unstoppable and more annoying, fairly easy to whittle down if not outright destroy within a few carefully planned battles. If Attila and the Huns are actually more of a juggernaut in this I'll be happy.

Still, I don't think naming the game after him was a great choice because it sounds too similar to the HATG/CiG/IA campaigns where the title character was someone you could play as. I think a different name that could describe the oncoming horde/"end of the world" theme would have been better, but that's just me.

What? I hope this information is wrong. Coming from IGN, not unlikely.

I think the last time I played as the Huns in a game was in Age of Empires 2.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

I actually kind of like the idea. Make the huns a kind of thing you have to deal with, like the Mongols and Timurids in Medieval 2. Something that threatens everyone and not just whoever they are at war with at that point.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Wikipedia is comepletly wrong.

Attila was of the Hunnic group known as the Ultinzur (Ultin and -zur, a derivative of -cur), as evidenced by Agathias and Marcellinus Comes, who record that the two great Hun tribes (Vurugundi and Ultinzuri) were now extinct, and also evidenced by Uldin's turkish name: Ultzin, who was succeeded by Qaraton (Turkish name), who was succeeded by Octar and Rua (Turkish and Gothic names, respectively), who were succeeded by Attila and Bleda in 436 (Also Gothic names).

The Hepthaltites were not "Huns," as much as they are called "White Huns." The Hepthaltites were the Hua, a former vassal of the Rouran, and established themselves in modern-day Turkistan in the 450's, after subsuming the Chionitae/Kidaritae, who were Huns. The great raid of 395 was probably carried out by the Tongur and Alpilcur Huns, under Bas-ik and Kurs-ik, respectively, but we don't know the names of the two groups that carried out the raid: We only know that there were Huns on the Volga named the Tongur and Alpilcur in 350, before the Megadrought in 360 began pushing the Huns south and west.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post

My thoughts exactly.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

I actually don't believe that Huns won't be playable. Maybe parts of the Hun horde will be playable. Maybe the article is wrong.
    I absolutely refuse to believe that I won't be burning Christian and pagan cities with my horse archers before I convert to Christianity.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Another note: the Huns were horse-archers, yes, but by Attila's day they were mostly using infantry recruited from their vassals, and could only field in the range of 10,000 actually Hunnic cavalry. See Horses, Nomadism, and Huns (1983)

Yes I know. But apparently A:TW will have a different concept. One in which Attila's Huns act like a sort of final boss.
    Optio, Legio I Latina