Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Huns are not going to be playable

Default Re: The Huns are not going to be playable

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
    So germans will be involved with a primary role also in the third? they should stop
    Angela Merkel strikes back.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge o' Scoundrel."

-Samuel Johnson

So they are "officially" spreading two different stories everywhere: playable and unplayable Huns faction.

Good PR CA

vlakc's Avatar Civis

Like other people have said, I want to believe it'll be like napoleon, you couldn't play as France in the coalition(main) campaign, in the main campaign Napoleon was the bad guy, the great enemy just like Attila will be, you could still play as France through a series of campaigns. Of course I won't deny it'll be nicer if you were allowed to play the huns in the main campaign just like it'll be nicer if you were allowed to play napoleon in the coalition campaign, but for that there's moding.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by vlakc View Post
    Like other people have said, I want to believe it'll be like napoleon, you couldn't play as France in the coalition(main) campaign, in the main campaign Napoleon was the bad guy, the great enemy just like Attila will be, you could still play as France through a series of campaigns. Of course I won't deny it'll be nicer if you were allowed to play the huns in the main campaign just like it'll be nicer if you were allowed to play napoleon in the coalition campaign, but for that there's moding.
    Yeah. This is what I imagine TW: Attila would be.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

I hope it's like that, wouldn't make sense for ATTILA: TOTAL WAR not to let you play as Attila...

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Probably have been posted before, but anyway....

Source

Strategy Informer: You've said that Attila won't actually be playable in the game, so what does he represent?

Pawel Wojs: He's the Big Bad! He's the scourge of God, he is coming to get you. People at the time felt they had overindulged and were being punished for their sinful lives, and he was that punishment. He is the impending doom, that overarching narrative where the Seven Seals open and all builds up to his coming.

Simon Mann: As we've said, he was an amazing general. It's the first time in the history of Rome where the "barbarians" were as advanced and as skilled at warfare as the Romans were. Attila's Huns were equalled good at sieging. Previously you could hide in your city and you'd be safe because of the high walls but it's not that simple anymore!

Strategy Informer: Did you consider having his forces as a playable side?

Pawel Wojs: Yes, we've certainly considered it and talked about it, but the focus is on the European and Eastern factions. We're going for this "survival strategy" gameplay with him being the bad guy, and you wouldn't have the final boss in another game playable! (laughs) We still have a lot to think about, but until we get things where we're happy with it we won't talk about it. Watch this space!
    Strategy Informer: Getting back to Attila himself, I'm still curious about how you actually face him in the game. Will he occasionally attack you and you have to drive him back, that kind of thing?

Simon Mann
    : The Huns exist from the start, they're a faction that's around from the starting date of 395 AD. At points in the game we have what we call the Seven Seals. As each Seal breaks and opens a major event will happen.

Strategy Informer
    : So the actual Seven Seals are in the game?

Ed Ainsley: Yes, they genuinely thought Attila was the herald of the Apocalypse!

Simon Mann: Yes, the Romans were scared to death by him. We've actually portrayed his birth as the first Seal breaking.
    They wont be playable in the Grand Campaign. Hopefully Attila will be playable on it's own mini campaigns like Napoleon's mini campaign in NTW.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

justdownloading's Avatar Foederatus

I think this change is a good idea. The traditional map painting TW gameplay is becoming very stale.

Part of me thinks this is testing us for Medieval 3, To see how we're gonna cope with a real badass Mongol Invasion?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrad View Post
    Part of me thinks this is testing us for Medieval 3, To see how we're gonna cope with a real badass Mongol Invasion?
    Nope. This is a testing for Total War China by presenting a concept so alien to the normal western market.

Strategy Informer: Okay, final question. Every time a Total War game is about to be announced I try to guess what the new one will be and I always say "China"! (they laugh) How come that hasn't happened yet? It seems such a perfect fit!

Ed Ainsley: It's such a huge undertaking!

Pawel Wojs: Every time we sit down to discuss the setting of the next game so many different topics and locations come up. We discuss the Pros and Cons and end up choosing one. There are various reasons you know?

Ed Ainsley
    : It's a huge place of course, and a massive time period... Total War: China - what do you pick? There's so much stuff, you can't possibly put in 4000 years of history! What do you choose that works?

Pawel Wojs: We've been there a few times!

Strategy Informer: I always thought that becoming the First Emperor, uniting the kingdoms would be a good one...

Pawel Wojs: Yeah, there's just so many ways to go on that... maybe one day, who knows! Anything's possible!
    They even have a name for it already. Medieval III or Empire II.. Well 3 sequels in a row does not give the impression of Creative, don't you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by OvO
    Hopefully Attila will be playable on it's own mini campaigns like Napoleon's mini campaign in NTW.
    Not a chance. Mini campaigns made sense in Nappie, but in Late Antiquity? Unlikely. My guess (and I hope I'm wrong) is that they'll be something like Realm Divide in Shogun or the civil war in Rome. Full stacks appearing in front of your cities, but previously the player would have the option to manipulate them, to make their arrival less disastrous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Mann
    Attila's Huns were equalled good at sieging.
    :facepalm:

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Why facepalm? Attila's army reduced Roman forts in the Danube area and in Gaul.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga
    Why facepalm? Attila's army reduced Roman forts in the Danube area and in Gaul.
    They weren't incompetent, but that doesn't mean that they were equal to the Romans. They hardly used siege engines, I believe.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Attila carried the wood to build the battering rams. By this point I don't think the Romans were reducing many cities.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

My main gripe is the justification they used: that the Huns are the "big bad boss" and how this is framed in an apocalyptic setting. It's not realistic or historical at all. It's just arcadey and steals this old boring concept from other games. This isn't total war anymore. This is now Pop War.

Plus the Huns weren't the end of the Roman Empire but instead acted as a major catalyst. The Huns didn't even sack Rome. They wrecked a great deal of the empire, and they were one of the main driving forces causing the other barbarians to invade, but it wasn't quite Game Over for Rome yet and it would suffer for a bit more. Then the Huns, Vandals and Lombards showed up and finished it off. Still, some time lingered between the Hunnic conquest and the ultimate fall of Rome.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Seems like a great concept to me. The "end of days" theme with seals and everything could be fun. The ominous feeling of doom fits the timeframe well.

It's just arcadey and steals this old boring concept from other games.
    Everything is stealing. All the time. Innovation is just what we name redeveloping stolen stuff.
    Last edited by Påsan; September 30, 2014 at 03:34 PM.

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The huns as the end game mechanic is pretty cool. But I have a lot of doubts about it. Just seeing the way Rome 2 was released there isn't much hope from me expecting the'll make it good.

With Rome 2 a lot of people complained about public order being to hard to maintained so they released a bunch of holidays for the game. They appear at random times and just give a public order bonus. Why? Because everyone about it. Public order is pretty easy to maintain, and the artwork/descriptions of the events dont do it for me. I need dynamic events with multiple outcomes of my characters not someone that just appears for the sake of it.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Guys stop being so basic.

The Huns will be playable.

You basic.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Not a chance. Mini campaigns made sense in Nappie, but in Late Antiquity? Unlikely. My guess (and I hope I'm wrong) is that they'll be something like Realm Divide in Shogun or the civil war in Rome. Full stacks appearing in front of your cities, but previously the player would have the option to manipulate them, to make their arrival less disastrous.
    Why not.I'm talking about playable Attila. Not Attila in the main campaign. CA said Attila is the big boss and not playable (I assume in the main campaign) for various reasons like Attila wasn't born during the campaign start and though the Huns exist on the borders of roman empire they are not yet united. Maybe there'll be some playable Hun tribe somewhere since CA mention that playable factions amount will be around the same as Rome II though again I assume the amount not including DLCs. However these Huns wont be the Attila.

To make Attila himself playable (hopefully not as campaigns DLCs) then the only logical thing is to present them like Napoleon's mini campaigns. Just like Napoleon's Italian and Egyptian campaign, there can be Attila's ERW campaign, Sassanids campaign and WRE campaign with specific section of the map rather than the whole main campaign map.

This is not quite correct. You could play France in the main or grand campaign---in fact they were my favorite faction to play. Since they were obviously not part of the coalition, France had their own separate menu selection to get into the grand campaign. Theoretically, one was supposed to play the two mini-campaigns to unlock what was called the "Napoleon in Europe" campaign. This is essentially the full grand campaign for France with same start date, map, and faction positions as that of the coalition start choices.

However, if you wanted to get right into it first, all you had to do was start each of the mini-campaigns, save the first turn, and the grand campaign for France was unlocked.

This may be the only TW game to have handled a single faction through separate menu for the grand campaign in this manner.

Cheers
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Quote Originally Posted by OvO
    Default Re: The Huns are not going to be playable Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post Not a chance. Mini campaigns made sense in Nappie, but in Late Antiquity? Unlikely. My guess (and I hope I'm wrong) is that they'll be something like Realm Divide in Shogun or the civil war in Rome. Full stacks appearing in front of your cities, but previously the player would have the option to manipulate them, to make their arrival less disastrous. Why not.I'm talking about playable Attila. Not Attila in the main campaign. CA said Attila is the big boss and not playable (I assume in the main campaign) for various reasons like Attila wasn't born during the campaign start and though the Huns exist on the borders of roman empire they are not yet united. Maybe there'll be some playable Hun tribe somewhere since CA mention that playable factions amount will be around the same as Rome II though again I assume the amount not including DLCs. However these Huns wont be the Attila. To make Attila himself playable (hopefully not as campaigns DLCs) then the only logical thing is to present them like Napoleon's mini campaigns. Just like Napoleon's Italian and Egyptian campaign, there can be Attila's ERW campaign, Sassanids campaign and WRE campaign with specific section of the map rather than the whole main campaign map.
    It's theoritically possible, but very unprobable. Nappie's campaigns are distinctive and known to people with little knowledge about history, On contrary, Attila in a mini-campaign will offer nothing special to attract customers. Modders could do that, but their philosophy and target audience is totally different than those of CA.