Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Map for Vae Victis

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Campaign Map for Vae Victis

Here is our planned map for the upcoming release. This will include a return of starting armies and garrisons, new factions and 3 new cultures (Hindu, Judaism, Egyptian)

Credits to:
    Startpos work: JohnnyG
    Research: Roach, Magnar, Mr Crapsley
    Last edited by Roach; October 30, 2014 at 09:56 AM.

Default Re: New Starting Positions (for v2.35)

Can those suspicious factions in Larissa and Media Magna be revealed? Guess first one can't be anything other than thessalians, but I have no idea what's so special about them, besides the famous thessalian cavalry. Greece is already a hot spot of 260's isn't that enough for you?

Ah, yeah, nvm. Found the answer in the thread next door.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

hehe yeah, its the Aetolian League and Parthava has been expanded.

Also there is another Boii faction

Note - there may be further changes as we research and tackle the Balkan factions, the Scythian factions and the minor African factions, though the majority of the map has been adjusted appropriately for history

Does anyone know if it's possible for some of the removed faction to be turned into emergent faction?
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Balbor View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible for some of the removed faction to be turned into emergent faction?
    We will be adding rebel factions to some regions which will eventually (not this release) get their own unique rosters.

They are:
    Achaean League (Will rebel in spartan home region)
    Cyprus will rebel in the Egyptian owned Cyprus
    Oscans will rebel in southern italy
    Judea will rebel in... Judea

I started making some Oscan units based on the descriptions in Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars, which i was going to use as Latin rebels instead of the socii units i tried applying to them which had the side effect of allowing the Etruscan's to recruit socii units.
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Looking good Magnar! I like the setup for immediate clashes between some of the major powers, with Rome and Carthage poised to fight the 1st Punic War over the islands and the Seleucids and Ptolemies poised to beat each other up in Palestine and Asia Minor. Greece looks chaotic, as it should, and I like how Epirus is no longer over extended to start with two provinces it can never defend well. The Bosporus looks interesting with a unified Cimmerian kingdom with angry Scythian neighbors. The far east also looks really fun with several nations that control a full region to start ready to rumble for supremacy. Again, looks awesome and keep up the good work! Your mod is the only one I play and I can't wait for the next release.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Palestine?

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    We will be adding rebel factions to some regions which will eventually (not this release) get their own unique rosters.

They are:
    Achaean League (Will rebel in spartan home region)
    Cyprus will rebel in the Egyptian owned Cyprus
    Oscans will rebel in southern italy
    Judea will rebel in... Judea
    That sounds great, look forward to that

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Campaign Map for Vae Victis

Cool, But someone should really add the rest of the Seleucid Empire
    Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

By add do you mean overhaul, or add to the direct rule of the Seleucid faction? The way we built the map was to figure out which regions were directly ruled by Seleucid governors reporting closely to the Seleucid king, and which areas had more independent rule and more history of independent thinking and action. The Greek cities of southern Anatolia never caused trouble to the Seleucids any more than to the Persians before them, and they were closely governed by the Seleucid government with troops being raised there directly for the army. Mesopotamia similarly was the original capital of the Seleucid Empire and was ruled directly by the Seleucids. The satrapies farther east and north paid tribute each year to the Seleucids, but their governors had a good amount of independence in many ways and their military was organized separately from the main Seleucid army, so they get to keep their own governments in the mod.

We will definitely be putting lots of love into the east.. there is so much cool history there, not only the Persians and the Medes but the various less well known cultures of the east that most people don't ever hear about. Anatolia similarly has a cool tapestry of cultures with the Galatians dumped in the middle to mess things up

The Seleukid system is indeed a complicated one, not to mention the Capital realistically is the Basileus, he is the centre of authority. But city wise there are probably several including Antioheia, Seleukeia, Sardis and Ekbatana (later refounded Epiphaneia).

I notice Media is not under direct rule, this was and remained an important centre for the Seleukid's including a royal mint (see Newell, ESM 162-227 and 253-54, mod. 428-656; id., WSM nos. 26-31). It known to have been a royal residence of the Seleukids and later Arsacid's (Strabo 11.13.5).
    Europos or Rhagai was also Seleukid re-foundation Strabo(11.13.6; 11.9.1) therefore unlikely to fall under local suzerainty.
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; November 02, 2014 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAL View Post
    Thats a good point lol, idk whats up with that.

Edit: Oh hey, I can't believe I forgot that we turned that into the Aetolian League after this screenshot was taken. Several factions were moved and repurposed to make the starting positions historical

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

yup nova carthago was turned into Aetolian League. The new faction icon wasn't finished when that screen was taken

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    yup nova carthago was turned into Aetolian League. The new faction icon wasn't finished when that screen was taken
    I guessed that it was some kind of Greek faction under the old name.
    But when in diplomatic relations are not at war with the Spanish turdetan recorded ... I was taken aback

Do you have a Seleukid thread or general discussion thread perhaps? I wished to add to my points in #14, but if it is just going to be overlooked there is little point in editing same post

Why don't you start a Seleucid historical thread for us? I have a reply to your post that is half written, but I have to go somewhere for the afternoon and am still trying to track down several pertinent historical facts to answer your query, so please don't feel ignored! I am glad that people want to discuss stuff like this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast