Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOTAL WAR: ATTILA - Campaign & Battle gameplay, Developer interviews and Hands on Impressions!

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: TOTAL WAR: ATTILA - Campaign & Battle gameplay, Developer interviews and Hands on Impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Searry View Post
    Don't get hyped. I remember the massive disappointment on these forums after the Rome II launch

Exactly!! I remember the pre release hype about Rome 2 the promises, boasts about the Ai, Optimisation, Hyped up videos , the touched up screenshots “Fool me once shame on you ,fool me twice shame on me.” Let’s hope its a good game but best to wait for reviews from guys like Angry Joe before buying because what you see is not always what you get.

Vossie's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: TOTAL WAR: ATTILA - Campaign & Battle gameplay, Developer interviews and Hands on Impressions!

Hmm what's exactly new in this game? ( Except for the obvious part ) Engine seems the same. Unit models, environment and even the animations seem the same as in Rome II.
    Imperium Romanum

john duca's Avatar Biarchus

This is a DLC right?

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

I do not believe a word CA are saying, it looks like a mod of the mod they called RTW2.

They have a year to show us real battles and not the crap that is in RTW2, they have a year to show the depth of the campaign game play if there is any.

Looking forward to a year of marketing gibberish.

Darren, I've never watched any of your videos before (I'm not really interested in watching footage of games unless I'm seeing whether I want to buy them or not). But can I just say well done for being calm and informative in your videos, whereas most gamers who post videos seem to be hyperactive egotistical morons with massive overestimations of how funny and interesting they are.

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Darren, do you think you could be their spokesman now? Well, don't be dissapointed when the game comes out and it's not what you remember This era is not my cup o' tea, but my distrust to CA cannot be subdued! In short, I'll believe it when I see it (on my pc).
    This is kind of an entirely different situation to Rome II. This is clearly just building on Rome II as an existing game, and I played it myself so I believe it to be true.

It doesn't look better than the original Rome II footage, so it's safe to assume this is probably what we're getting.

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bangell99 View Post
    Darren, I've never watched any of your videos before (I'm not really interested in watching footage of games unless I'm seeing whether I want to buy them or not). But can I just say well done for being calm and informative in your videos, whereas most gamers who post videos seem to be hyperactive egotistical morons with massive overestimations of how funny and interesting they are.
    Thank you!

you should give my content a chance though... it's unlike any other TW YouTuber.

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

Am I the only one here who excited for this? This is like Napoleon after Empire, and hopefully as good.

But I also expect it to be cheaper than a full new game release, it doesn't make sense to charge the same amount as Rome 2.

Edit: I am just a bit disappointed with the map, if this was supposed to be a Attila-centered game, than the map should range from China to Western Europe.
    Last edited by Lord Saruman; September 25, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

nashvicks21's Avatar Foederatus

now as a fan of this time period i am happy about this but... and this is a big but this should have been a dlc for Rome 2. Then they should have decided on the next total war to be something like Ancient China or Ancient South America or possibly even Renaissance. Of those time frames i would choose ancient south america it would be quite interesting but would have some things needed to be tolerated by the community which is unlikely such as no Cavalry as horses only appeared in the Americas in 1492 AD. It could feature the rise of the Mayans and would increase learning about ancient south america.

And to anyone who might agree with me don't agree with me because the Aztecs as they were not even around this time period i am talking about i would want this to be based somewhere between 200 BC - 100 AD
    Last edited by nashvicks21; September 25, 2014 at 05:24 PM.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTotalWar View Post
    Thank you!

you should give my content a chance though... it's unlike any other TW YouTuber.
    You've just got a new subscriber, mate. And also, I hope you have read my comment on Youtube about those flat maps, the battle video.

Although I really love late antiquity and late Roman empire, I will not fall into the same trap by CA this time. I'll vote with my wallet and wait until it has been released, tested, played, reviewed and actually turns out good.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

First let me give some credentials:

I am a Late Roman Reenactor. I have invested Eight years now into researching the Late Roman Empire: I know more about Flavius Aetius and the Roman Military from 425-454 AD than almost anyone else in the world, Ian Hughes and Meaghan McEvoy being probably the only two exceptions.

Second, Darren your video is great, and I love your gameplay videos. This is by no means a criticism of you, only the game itself.

Just watching the video, I already have the following criticisms:

1. The Catapults are terrible. I mean GODAWFUL. That reconstruction of onager was disproven by D.B. Campbell around 20 years ago (https://www.academia.edu/1141718/Anc...ses_reexamined). Torsion artillery WAS EXTREMLY ACCURATE. And TOO ADVNACED FOR THE GERMANIC tribes. They never had it, not until decades after the fall of the Roman Empire. It's been theorized that the Huns may have had traction trebuchets, but there's no real evidence for that. We know the Huns had siege towers and battering rams, and most other Barbarian groups utilized ladders, but mostly attempted to starve cities out. The Goths on-and-off had Battering rams in use. The Romans had Orsova-Type Ballistae and Onagers, which were also used by Eranshahr (the Sassanid Empire), as well as a myriad of siege devices.

2. The barbarians have Spectacle Helmets, which didn't come into use until almost the 8th century AD. They should be wearing Banded Helmets, Spangenhelmets, and Baldenheims. That Roman shield boss is not substantiated by any of the myriad of finds dating to this era, although it is admittedly similar to one found in Pomerania dating to around 350 AD. The Romans didn't wear short-sleeved tunics at this time either. Two handed bearded axes were not in use: almost all axes of this era were based off of the Roman Securis, which would evolve into the 5th century Fransisca. The shields are also not wide enough. AND VAMBRACES NEVER EXISTED. The Spatha is also a 2nd-Early 4th century Lauriacum-Hromovka type, too early for Attila's era. There's no method of attachment for the horsehair plumes: I see no wooden crest box mounted on top of the ridge. The belt plates are completely unsubstantiated, and I see no scabbards or baldrics for their swords. The shield pattern belongs to the Prima Flavia Mettis, so I have no qualms with that actually. The pattern on the Barbarian Tunic is wrong: the Clavii should be about one inch from the bottom of the sleeve, not at the bicep. And don't even get me started on the barbarian's belt: complete . Looks like something out of runescape or WOW. And why do they always have to have furs? Most never wore furs, because furs took on a functional role depicting certain positions in late Germanic society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kp...tailpage#t=165

3. In this image, he also has a Gjermundbu-type helmet, the sword is Celtic from the 3rd century BC, the shield has the leather edging riveted on rather than sewn, but his tunic is substantially better. The Roman soldier in the foreground has a 1st century AD belt loosely based on a find from Rhegionheim. His Spatha is 2nd century AD and has a steel guard plate, which shouldn't exist at all. His Tunic's clavii are also at the bottom of the sleeve, rather than slightly above it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kp...tailpage#t=180

4. The crossbowmen. Yes the Romans used the crossbow: they invented it in Western Europe. However, they used a 150cm Asymmetric "Hunnic" composite bow for the prod and not a steel one, which didn't come into use until the high medieval period (think Crusades), and the crossbows should be longer. They are firing full-length arrows, which is good, because the evidence points to that. However, they have no quivers, and if they did CA probably wouldn't use the circular ones that hung from a baldric like the one depicted in the 5th century Vergilius Vaticanus manuscript anyways. The Centurion has a doubler on his chainmail, when the doubler fell out of use by the time of Marcus Aurelius in the 2nd century AD. There's no evidence for the wearing of Phalerae in this period as well, and he would have carried a full sized shield (shields in this era were ovoid and approximately 38-42x34-36 inches in diameter, or circular). The Clavii should come off the shoulders right next to the neckhole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kp...tailpage#t=192

5. I saw a Testudo. That shouldn't be there: the Testudo had already been replaced by the Fulcum in this era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kp...tailpage#t=280

More to come in future posts as I watch more videos.

EDIT:

Campaign:

The year is 401 AD, so the only Barbarian Group in the Empire at this time should be Alaric in Illyria and Dyrrhachium. There should be no "abandoned provinces": Britanny on the map wouldn't even revolt for the first time until 435, and Aetius' Magister Militum per Gallias Litorius quickly put it down.

Oh, and Attila hadn't even been born in 401. He couldn't have been born earlier than about 413, otherwise he would have known Aetius as a boy, and the sources point to the likely probability Attila and Aetius didn't know each other, although Aetius soon became good friends with the Hunnic rulers Ultzin, Qaraton, and Rugila and Octar, and probably Oebarsius as well.

There was no progressive climate change in this period. That's a long disproven myth.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; September 25, 2014 at 05:42 PM.

damn i hoped for "jesus total war"

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    5. I saw a Testudo. That shouldn't be there: the Testudo had already been replaced by the Fulcum in this era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kp...tailpage#t=280

Are you sure that is a testudo, mate? I seriously think it is just that ridiculous "raise the shields when touched by arrows raining above" animation that occurs almost always in Rome II when someone is hit by missiles. It shouldn't be a testudo I think.

Realistically one cannot run when you put your shield above. This is possible in smaller, rounder shields that are held by handles (like medieval buckler) but not in a shield that is strapped to your hand, and certainly not with a shield of that size, unless it is taken off and held on with both hands. I wonder why CA made this ridiculous animation at all.

Other than that, great points.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Are you sure that is a testudo, mate? I seriously think it is just that ridiculous "raise the shields when touched by arrows raining above" animation that occurs almost always in Rome II when someone is hit by missiles. It shouldn't be a testudo I think.

Realistically one cannot run when you put your shield above. This is possible in smaller, rounder shields that are held by handles (like medieval buckler) but not in a shield that is strapped to your hand, and certainly not with a shield of that size, unless it is taken off and held on with both hands. I wonder why CA made this ridiculous animation at all.

I guess its still better than watching the arrows glancing off the soldiers' face.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythion View Post
    I guess its still better than watching the arrows glancing off the soldiers' face.
    Or worse, getting stuck in the soldier's head and nose, popping out from the other side of his helmet, and the man still being alive and fighting well.

I have seen this happen in the earliest versions of Shogun II but it was fixed fast.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Loveless View Post
    Yeah right. Look at all the people who complained when Fall of the Samurai came out.

Oh how `noble` you are, missing out the truth of the situation.

A little history lesson:

Empire was a failure for the customer. People complained long and bitterly about its problems (some major ones still not fixed). Then they produced Napoleon, which I refused to buy on principle because they never retrofitted any of that back to Empire, even though they said they might, they never did. they kept us hanging on for nothing. Many people complained about that bitterly too.

It`s as a result of that that Shogun 2 was much better and FOTS actually RETROFITTED to S2.

Now CA have gone backwards again with Rome 2. So it is not as simple as you would like to make and CA are not as altruistic as you would want it to seem.
    This is kind of an entirely different situation to Rome II. This is clearly just building on Rome II as an existing game, and I played it myself so I believe it to be true.
    Oh and Darren, while your video is very nice and sugary, please don't take offence, but I see you are just being used to sell a product. I'll wait until the game is release and independent customer reviews are made, then maybe, I'll think about it, a year later. Many other reviewers were just as nice with RTW2 before release then after release they tell us they were mistaken or they thought the bugs would be `ironed out` by release.

I wonder how many things you were told would be `fixed` or `ironed out` by release?
    Last edited by Humble Warrior; September 25, 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    Exactly!! I remember the pre release hype about Rome 2 the promises, boasts about the Ai, Optimisation, Hyped up videos , the touched up screenshots “Fool me once shame on you ,fool me twice shame on me.” Let’s hope its a good game but best to wait for reviews from guys like Angry Joe before buying because what you see is not always what you get.

Your avatar= my thoughts

Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post

The Fulcum is a 100% mobile formation. I have a video of Reenactors doing it:

The excited one's Avatar Senator

I never buy any total war games since M2TW and i only play it because of the damn mods. Lets hope Attlia TW won't dissapoint anyone of you (and i doubt it) and I will see more of the community posting as part of my daily routine.
    Last edited by StealthFox; September 25, 2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: off topic
    war is peace, ignorance is strength, freedom is slavery......
    (george orwell 1984)

Miraklum's Avatar Libertus

Just want to know one thing--------» dlc?

Because they should merge the changes from this one to Rome 2. That would be legendary, also think people would love CA once more for it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast