Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

Default Re: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

Hello CA, hello twcenter.net,
    I´ve always been a fan of this community but only recent events made me to create account and write something.

I was watching today stream in anticipation of something really big as I was playing DeI mod last month and half and stopped playing it just because EE came out.

At first, I was like "Attila...mhm..ok why not." Than it went on ok as I was still waiting for the "ohh...yes" moment...but it didnt come at all. So I went to work and I was still thinking about what I saw. And than suddenly I realised: "WTF CA?"
    I mean...I am one of there "Rome:Total War 2 preorded asap" people as I love ROME period and I love Total War and first one....you know the story...I didnt even have technical issues and I was just little bit disappointed from the battle feeling and campaign simplicity.

But now...wow...I´m being angry about Rome 2 now, because I see you are trying to sell me "new game" with features that should be in the former one at first place!

I mean:
    Family tree - long discussed thing...everybody knows
    Politic - why is a new "big thing" ability to assign governors? I mean this should have been one of basic pillars of R2 instead of that stupid absolutely useless and boring political game!

Siege effect stufff....yes, looks cool, sounds cool....BUT (!) it´s the very thing that was presented in the first Siege of Carthage preview some five years ago! This stuff was presented as new for Rome 2 and there was never any clue that publisher is cutting it out befeore release (I found out that this cool atmospheric idea is missing after first three hours in the game).

Some charts, graphic...jesus do we really need to pay for a new whole game to deserve some normal UI?

And than...nothing else....the first show of brand new game and not really one major game design change...nothing...dead in the water...same old Rome 2 with new skins and some small things...

I´m very upset...and sad. I wish I am wrong and there´s more to it in this Attila add-on (or you are about to sell it for 15 pounds) because the first info is such a let down for me.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Like how Al Bickham says "in terms of map scale, the size is similar to Rome 2" No Al, actually it's the same map, with tiny tweaks.

The same cast of characters-- saying the same old stuff about the same old game a year after they were exposed as phonies It's audacious marketing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    Sounds like features for an expansion; not of a featured new release.
    Actually, it just sounds like another campaign pack, like HatG or Augustus. With diseases though. Yay.
    Last edited by Huberto; September 25, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

There is no pleasing you people.

Wont buy it.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post

Thank you for the link.
    But what year will this be? What is Atilla? Is there any information i can get my hands on?

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    When I heard the praise to the visuals/graphics for Attila - one particular set of footage came to my mind: the pre-release pics of Carthage for Rome 2.
    I was happy with the graphics, but then you remind me of that. Damn it.

On one hand, AWESOME! Attila the Hun? Badass! Chest bump, brah!

On the other hand, this sounds the exact same as Empire --> Napoleon Total War. I was so burnt out on the disastrous Empire launch that I simply didn't care about Napoleon. And yet, Napoleon has almost everything that was missing in Empire. Releasing a new unique game is great and I applaud CA for this new direction, but ideally, there would be no NEED for this. I hope Attila is priced like an expansion, or that Rome 2 owners can buy it at a discount.

I got the feeling that they are repeating the history of total war, after Attila we will have medieval III total War with some extra dlc's and then a standalone dlc like kingdoms, then we will have Empire II total war with some dlc's and a standalone dlc like Napoleon, etc......

Hamata's Avatar Civis

Not sure how i feel about this, i pre ordered rome 2 because i fell for the hype of the trailers prior to the release of the game

i think i'll just wait for day 1 reviews and go from there

PS
    Trailer was awsome though

Double post, don't mind me
    Last edited by CadetChristmas; September 25, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Family trees missing from Rome 2 was never a problem for me. The family tree in Total War just gave me a reason to fight. You had a leader who wanted the world (and so I do which helps me connect to him). The environment in Rome 2 is just a killing field. Most of the time I never felt connected to my soldiers. Shogun 2 had your traits locked a much stiffer penalties. And I know Im nit picking but I really do have to say it. There were already skill trees in the game, you had to use the encyclopedia to see but where did you go to see traditions. Im up for other ideas besides the family tree to connect to your soldiers. Like if when you upgrade their armor it changes there in game model. (Or my idea at the bottom) Its nice their coming back though hopefully with new features.

So many questions.

How fast will the years go by. How long will the family tree go on for. Will there still be the political system in Rome 2 with the different houses. How does that effect hiring Generals unto your side. Would they just be adopted. Will this limit your generals in your house by only allowing your children into it if so that could make other options like adoption more powerful. It make make the system a bit wonky but it could work. If my faction leader is male and dies does his wife in some cultures become the faction leader and a general.

And is anything happening with multiplayer. Id always like the idea of some kind of army customization. Then if you could bring that over into singleplayer and allow our legions to use the three colors.

The trailer was alright. I hope they have a cinematic for the opening of Atilla that matchs Shoguns level of bad ass never that Chuck Norris could never of ever obtained.

Buying it as soon as it drops. Ill be up at midnight. ing ca making fun games...
    Last edited by iWarsaw; September 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Celtic Tiger's Avatar Laetus

I'm not particularly surprised, really. But, to be honest, I think I'm going to pass on this one. As much as I like them bringing back certain features it's just not an era I'd like to play in (let alone dish out $60 dollars on), which I realize is an incredibly unpopular opinion. I don't have a problem with a stand-alone that's a rehashed versions of the previous title. I mean, I spent the money on NTW (mostly because Napoleon I is a badass), but this one...yeah, no. I'm starting to get sick and tired of the Roman period. I might just wait for CA to release a title I like, but with the way things seem to be going I doubt that'll be anytime soon.

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Melon View Post
    Dam I wanted Total War: Warhammer! This looks like it will the Napoleon for Rome 2.
    The Chaos Gods laugh. CA is not ready to wield the Hammer of Sigmar!

Tzneetch changer of ways. The red is gone!
    Last edited by iWarsaw; September 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Im actually very surprised that no one mentioned the dynamic fires that can rage through cities as of yet. That sounds like an interesting, horribly resource intensive feature.

I can't say I am too excited about this. It's a direct Rome II clone, except all the factions are Barbarians, or Nomads. Im going to get it, eventually, but I am disappointed this wasn't simply marketed as an expansion, like Fall of the Samurai or Napoleon. I wish they would hurry up and get to the actual new game.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Well...they marketed Napoleon as an expansion and then as an own game...now they skipped calling it an expansion first. xD
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Tiger View Post
    I'm not particularly surprised, really. But, to be honest, I think I'm going to pass on this one. As much as I like them bringing back certain features it's just not an era I'd like to play in (let alone dish out $60 dollars on), which I realize is an incredibly unpopular opinion. I don't have a problem with a stand-alone that's a rehashed versions of the previous title. I mean, I spent the money on NTW (mostly because Napoleon I is a badass), but this one...yeah, no. I'm starting to get sick and tired of the Roman period. I might just wait for CA to release a title I like, but with the way things seem to be going I doubt that'll be anytime soon.

I'm w/this guy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I posted this earlier but that thread wasn't exactly burning up the internets so.......................

Lets go ahead and get this out of the way, right off the bat.

That sure the heck is an awefully Caucasian looking Attila.

OT,

Not really interested. Not a major shock of a progression in terms of where they were headed w/new game announcement. Pretty linear thinking really.
    Lack of postings and buzz would indicate I'm not alone in the anti-climatic and interest in an Attila the Hun game. Focusing on another timeframe/period/culture would have garnished
    them a much better return for time and money spent.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't know why some people are surprised. This isn't CA trying to fix their mistakes by giving us what we asked for, this is their money making scheme.

Empire wasn't anything like they said, so they release Napoleon (and Napoleon didn't retrofit to Empire like they said they would, nor did it include things they advertised, like uniform editor).
    Shogun 2 was a decent game from the start but still lacked what a lot of people wanted. So they release Fall of the Samurai which was brilliant and did improve the vanilla game too.
    Rome 2 comes out and they're back to their previous trick. They rush the game, leave out a tonne of expected features, now they're basically releasing a polished version of Rome 2 with all the features we expected in Rome 2 vanilla.

This isn't them learning from their mistakes. They should have learned from Empire/Napoleon.
    I'm still hurt from Empire. One of my favourite time periods and the game was such a mess that we'll probably not see another 18th century TW for years and we'll probably not get a 19th century one either. Feels like a massive wasted opportunity.

Incidentally, have we found out if this will retrofit with vanilla?

Celtic Tiger's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Im actually very surprised that no one mentioned the dynamic fires that can rage through cities as of yet. That sounds like an interesting, horribly resource intensive feature.

I can't say I am too excited about this. It's a direct Rome II clone, except all the factions are Barbarians, or Nomads. Im going to get it, eventually, but I am disappointed this wasn't simply marketed as an expansion, like Fall of the Samurai or Napoleon. I wish they would hurry up and get to the actual new game.

I'm alright with them waiting a while to release a new actual title. Let's not forget, Rome II is still a very new game. The wait time between titles generally indicates the developer working hard to improve upon and add to the game rather than churning out the same game, different setting year after year a la Call of Duty.

My big thing is Empire and Napoleon gave me a taste of what CA can do in later eras and I just can't wait to get more.

This is Empire to Napoleon repackaging-resseling story again, but with even more copy/paste.

This doesnt deserve to be a game, this deserve to be a Rome 2 patch that noone pays for.
    Last edited by Butan; September 25, 2014 at 06:32 PM.

UPC project - Spanish assistant-translator - No longer