Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

Default Re: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

As someone who loved the original Barbarian Invasion, I am looking forward to this. Playing as the Eastern Roman Empire or one of the emerging powers (so to speak, hopefully we will have Franks, Romano-British, and a decent playable faction out of Germania) would be great. What can I say....I really like the time period!

I'm not going to get too hyped though. :l

Well, the Franks are a decent playable faction out of Germania.

I do not see that many factions or the typical división of great empire into protectorates that Rome II had, thankfully..

Captain Melon's Avatar Senator

Dam I wanted Total War: Warhammer! This looks like it will be the Napoleon for Rome 2.
    Last edited by Captain Melon; September 25, 2014 at 06:08 PM.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by Clone1710 View Post
    Well, the Franks are a decent playable faction out of Germania.
    A fact that I am well aware of. Generally speaking people like to go with the Franks being somewhat separate from Germania and far too often mentioning Charlemagne as the Father of two Nations raises an eyebrow. After more than one heated debate I just gave up on these forums.

That's actually part of the reason I went dark and created a new account.

Wow Sega must really be pushing them to get another revenue generator out the door.
    This will be the first TW title I havnt bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    Am i the only one who feels this looks like a more extensive polished /cleaned up version of rome 2 (especially after seeing the campaign map footage)?

Nothing wrong in that; it just feels like it should be a Expansion like Viking invasion was to medieval total war. Not a standalone game... with a standalone price tag, coupled with a bunch of future micro DLCs.

Thats just my .02 cents on reading the release information and seeing the released videos.
    It isn't Rome2, it is a completely new game.

Advanced street fighting, nada nada nada` But no doubt stilluse torches to burn down gates, etc.

I'll believe it when I see it actually happening.
    The Barbarian's held a shop meeting and decided torches were in!
    Last edited by wulfgar610; September 25, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    Humble is right.

As soon as I saw the siege battle the first thing that came to my mind was the fact that that CA had deliberately set up a siege battle where there was no siege AI. The reason they didn't show us ladders, towers or rams in action is probably because the siege AI still sucks or if it doesn't, then they don't want the v. Rome II owners to get up in arms about the fact that they've fixed siege AI for Attilla but not for the base game.

In any event I will be willing to wager on the fact that torches are still going to be in the game because I really think that CA are simply not good enough to provide their siege AI with a measure of competency to make them unnecessary. I can't help thinking that the new siege escalation mechanic - whilst welcome from a design perspective - is just going to end up being another cover up for how bad the siege AI is. In other words, if the AI besieges a city for multiple turns (even without projectile siege equipment) then the walls of the city will magically become destroyed. This will just be so that the AI can besiege and then assault your cities without ever actually having to use siege weapons.

I'm almost certain that this is how it is going to work and I know I will be annoyed by it. Please CA for god's sake just fix the siege AI so it behaves like it did in Rome I and Medieval II. Stop trying to circumvent it by introducing new mechanisms of siege AI avoidance (ie torches, siege escalation etc) and just fix it.

I will be very happy if I am wrong, but knowing CA I highly doubt that I am.

They cant its still on the Warscape Engine. Same old problems different box, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Ziyang View Post
    Making a whole separate game for a BI2 for another $60? No pre-ordering again for me this time, still doubting that this new 'expansion' will be worth the 60 cash.
    Actually this might be the first pre-order I do since Rome1. I might even buy a collectors edition!

I ride with a million horsemen, I BRING the end times, I AM THE SCOURGE OF GOD!

And i will watch your cities... burn.
    Vot! No torture!

If they try to fight in the shade ve villl burn down ze forests!

Wow Sega must really be pushing them to get another revenue generator out the door.
    This will be the first TW title I havnt bought.
    Yeah! Commercial business is funny like that these days.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Erus View Post
    A fact that I am well aware of. Generally speaking people like to go with the Franks being somewhat separate from Germania and far too often mentioning Charlemagne as the Father of two Nations raises an eyebrow. After more than one heated debate I just gave up on these forums.

That's actually part of the reason I went dark and created a new account.
    Okay, I see. I don't see a reason why it should be discussed. The Franks were a coalition of germanic tribes originating from the lower rhine area (at least Salian Franks, which are more important anyway), although they later occupied many other parts of Europe.

Anyway, I'd also like to see them and many others in the new TW game.

Advanced street fighting, hmmm... will we get to see people doing armbars and dropkicks?

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

So um.. great and all, nice period, but the elephant in the room is.. whatever happened to Total War Arena? Have CA forgotten to take it down from their webpage?
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Oh my that voice acting...But still, looks good.

Thanks for a list to the screenshots of Attila. This is exactly like Rome. It has the same interface, mechanics it looks like, even unit cards. This is an expansion, not a standalone. Same as BI, Alexander and Napoleon. I will not buy this until it reaches $30 at most and if it is released at $60 I highly doubt the few who do purchase it will be very happy their hard earned money went to an expansion when they are being told its the new main title.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great and nice curve ball CA, not many people out there saw this coming. And as far as Rome 2 expansion goes, it looks great! But if this is a new main title then I'll again have another chip of faith knocked off and another customer is about to be lost.

i dont know if Constantinople is going to look like the picture but 1st Hagia Sophia was build in 537 A.D (i think the game begins at 395 A.D) 2nd the double-headed eagle appeared in the late 10th century and it was the banner of Palailogos dynasty

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Funny. I've been telling you all for weeks that the Attila game was coming. I just didn't think they'd actually name it Attila.

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    It isn't Rome2, it is a completely new game.

The Barbarian's held a shop meeting and decided torches were in!
    From the release information. It sounds like an expansion pack not a new standalone title.

IE- viking invasion, Fall of the samuari etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Switz View Post
    Oh my that voice acting...But still, looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Switz View Post

Thanks for a list to the screenshots of Attila. This is exactly like Rome. It has the same interface, mechanics it looks like, even unit cards. This is an expansion, not a standalone. Same as BI, Alexander and Napoleon. I will not buy this until it reaches $30 at most and if it is released at $60 I highly doubt the few who do purchase it will be very happy their hard earned money went to an expansion when they are being told its the new main title.

Don't get me wrong, it looks great and nice curve ball CA, not many people out there saw this coming. And as far as Rome 2 expansion goes, it looks great! But if this is a new main title then I'll again have another chip of faith knocked off and another customer is about to be lost.
    100% Agree.. not saying i will not buy it; nor that i am not interested.

But i am NOT going to pay $60 on a game that should be released as an expansion and pay for "features" that Rome 2 should have shipped with (here is looking at you family tree).

So far all thats "new"

1. Updated map textures

2. Family tree and removed features added once more

3. new campaign

4. New unites

5. City fighting (heard this before)

Sounds like features for an expansion; not of a featured new release.
    Last edited by Spaxspore; September 25, 2014 at 03:41 PM.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I liked the voice acting, but this feeks like Napoleon TW.

I haven't bought ROME, lets see how this works out.

petertel123's Avatar Miles

1. add features to a game that should have been there at release
    2. add some new units and factions
    3. change starting positions
    4. add 60 dollar price tag
    5. ???
    6. profit

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Gaming today: 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Remove features so you can call them new when you put them back in. Cut features from the game so you can have Day 1 DLC on the disk. Say you released early because you're done and then spend a year patching it to make it almost up to playable. Make it so bad to start that when it approaches decency it's seen as an accomplishment.

it, I think I'm done with this series. I played Rome and Shogun 1 when I was in elementary school and this is how much you've regressed. It's quite disappointing. I didn't think after S2 got you back on solid footing you could possibly make Rome II, sequel to the first TW I played and set in my favorite era, as badly as you did, and you managed to surprise me. The fact you have the balls to add in all these features that should've been in that poorly optimized, buggy, feature and emotion/immersion lacking zombie you call Rome II disgusts me. Not even an "Emperor Edition" could fix all that's wrong with the series.

I loved Rome I for it's immersion, it's characters, the story and history you could tell and track through your family tree. I still remember, 10 years later that first campaign where Decius Julius advanced in traits and retinue to receive the surname "Victor", become conqueror of Gaul, and die alongside his brother Marcus in the snowy fields of Germania. That is Rome II's problem: It lacks any sense of emotion, progression or history as you play. It's a robot, where you know as soon as you open up the campaign (or even the menu where you're bombarded with "BUY DLC!" messages) you're playing a video game, not leading an empire into conquest of Europe, leading a family or character into the history books, or fighting a historical battle designated with it's own marker on the map. You're playing a boring, repetitive, emotionless game. I think I will stick with the series' peak in that regard: Rome I, where it felt like everything you did told a story, and you didn't select random arbitrary traits to "progress" your character.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

BAM!! Called it,didn´t I ? Though I´m pleasantry surprised that the game starts in 395AD and not later. How many turns per year does thath make? two or four?

The game looks very good with it´s features, just watched the stream and it´s a great conclusion to my birthday

I´m gonna follow the development closely, but still gonna keep my cools with me. Eagerly awaiting more news soon!

Have a pleasant evening

TotalWar: Atilla .... Regardless of how the game turns out, this two Words complement and describe each other perfectly. Awesome Title