Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

RexImperator's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Total War™: ATTILA Announced

Apparently Attila has become Warmaster Horus.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

When I heard the praise to the visuals/graphics for Attila - one particular set of footage came to my mind: the pre-release pics of Carthage for Rome 2.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Where should I send my money to ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    `Advanced street fighting, nada nada nada` But no doubt stilluse torches to burn down gates, etc.

I'll believe it when I see it actually happening.
    Humble is right.

As soon as I saw the siege battle the first thing that came to my mind was the fact that that CA had deliberately set up a siege battle where there was no siege AI. The reason they didn't show us ladders, towers or rams in action is probably because the siege AI still sucks or if it doesn't, then they don't want the v. Rome II owners to get up in arms about the fact that they've fixed siege AI for Attilla but not for the base game.

In any event I will be willing to wager on the fact that torches are still going to be in the game because I really think that CA are simply not good enough to provide their siege AI with a measure of competency to make them unnecessary. I can't help thinking that the new siege escalation mechanic - whilst welcome from a design perspective - is just going to end up being another cover up for how bad the siege AI is. In other words, if the AI besieges a city for multiple turns (even without projectile siege equipment) then the walls of the city will magically become destroyed. This will just be so that the AI can besiege and then assault your cities without ever actually having to use siege weapons.

I'm almost certain that this is how it is going to work and I know I will be annoyed by it. Please CA for god's sake just fix the siege AI so it behaves like it did in Rome I and Medieval II. Stop trying to circumvent it by introducing new mechanisms of siege AI avoidance (ie torches, siege escalation etc) and just fix it.

I will be very happy if I am wrong, but knowing CA I highly doubt that I am.

As I said in the news thread. Don't get hyped. The disappointment was massive in these forums after Rome 2 launch.

Looks really great, i hope thay the exchange/trade region will come back as it was in the previous games before Shogun II

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

It seems to me that Attila is just another name of well known Barbarian Invasion.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Will the walls always have some crumbled parts so there is no need of siege machines nor torches? Watching the screenshots and the prealpha presentation video has raised this suspicion.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

no they said it was due to siege attrition, so the longer you maintain a siege the worse the defenses basically

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

I ride with a million horsemen, I BRING the end times, I AM THE SCOURGE OF GOD!

And i will watch your cities... burn.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

And I'm not playable.

Guan Ziyang's Avatar Tiro

Making a whole separate game for a BI2 for another $60? No pre-ordering again for me this time, still doubting that this new 'expansion' will be worth the 60 cash.

CLICK ME - New Updated Steam Batch File (Universal for All Mods Edition)

Not holding my breath

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Will the walls always have some crumbled parts so there is no need of siege machines nor torches? Watching the screenshots and the prealpha presentation video has raised this suspicion.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The outer walls get damaged as part of the siege attrition and that wall in the picture is actually not the city wall, but is just there to create chokepoints around the city centre.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator Of The Roman Republic View Post
    no they said it was due to siege attrition, so the longer you maintain a siege the worse the defenses basically
    Well, due to whatever. I guess that when you are sieged is when you take care of the walls with more attention not the opposite. So it will be a game mechanism to make walls combat unnecessary. So no torches this time.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; September 25, 2014 at 01:35 PM.

I really hate the fact, that this was supposed to be rome 2 in the first place. I don't like this time period and I don't have interest to play it, I want to play rome 2 with those enhanced graphics, gameplay and so on. But CA wants more money, so nowadays a expansion is a whole new game....

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Well, I'm thrilled about this. Can't wait to play it. Hopefully some stuff will be transferred to Rome 2 either by CA or with modding. Most complaints (about a game that's not even done) is just typical of the community!

Quote Originally Posted by tschieee View Post
    I really hate the fact, that this was supposed to be rome 2 in the first place. I don't like this time period and I don't have interest to play it, I want to play rome 2 with those enhanced graphics, gameplay and so on. But CA wants more money, so nowadays a expansion is a whole new game....

I think it will be transfered in the main game, hope it will be CA, but at the worst, the modding team will do that

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Well, I'm thrilled about this. Can't wait to play it. Hopefully some stuff will be transferred to Rome 2 either by CA or with modding. Most complaints (about a game that's not even done) is just typical of the community!
    He he he, as the opposite.

TuCoT's Avatar Biarchus

What will be timespan for this title? 395-476 AD 4TPY?

Well my hopes for Medieval 3 or Empire 2 were just completely dashed. I wasn't at all expecting or looking forward to what just looks like a Rome 2 expansion pack, as others have said. Back to Battlefield 4 I go.