Thread: Plantagenets on SS6.4

Markmilan's Avatar Civis

Default Plantagenets on SS6.4

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help.
    Playing SS6.4 early era none of the English Male Royal family have surnames.
    Has anyone added the Plantagenet surname and please could you let me know how?
    Have tried to edit descr_strat as follows but game won't load;

character_record William Plantagenet, male, age 86, dead 13, never_a_leader
    character_record Matilda, female, age 71, dead 10, never_a_leader
    character_record Adela, female, age 46, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Rufus Plantagenet, male, age 45, dead 1, never_a_leader
    character_record Edyth, female, age 27, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Stephen, male, age 4, alive, never_a_leader

relative William Plantagenet, Matilda, Robert Plantagenet, Adela, Rufus Plantagenet, Henry Plantagenet, end
    relative Stephen de_Blois, Adela, Stephen, end
    relative Henry Plantagenet, Edyth, end

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Plantagenets on SS6.4

Did you apply the Bugfix? My English family members all have surnames.

Markmilan's Avatar Civis

No, didn't apply the bugfix!
    Thanks for the help

Markmilan, what you're trying to do is historically incorrect. The first Plantagenet (Geoffrey of Anjou) was born in 1113, and most likely acquired the nickname "Plantagenet" sometime in the 1130s. The first Plantagenet King of England (Henry II) was crowned in 1154. So a game starting in 1100 should not have any characters surnamed Plantagenet. William the Conqueror, William II Rufus, and Henry I were of the House of Normandy. I suppose one could give them "de Normandie" surnames if you must have surnames at all.

If your intent is a roleplay-oriented campaign bringing the Plantagenets to power, I believe it's impossible to do in detail, and would be quite hard to get just the gist of it. The impossible part being that AFAIK characters cannot remarry when their first spouse dies (Matilda marrying Geoffrey of Anjou after the death of Emperor Henry V of the HRE). You could go nuts with saving/reloading until you manage to have Henry I's daughter (who probably wouldn't get the name Matilda in-game) marry a randomly generated general with the Plantagenet surname. Then the tricky part would be somehow having a 20 year civil war between her and Stephen; in game terms I think Stephen would be considered King and Matilda (via Geoffrey and her son Henry) the rebel. The game has the loyalty stat so presumably rebellions are possible, but this sounds improbable to actually see in-game.

Markmilan's Avatar Civis

Thanks for the reply jhhowell, de Normandie it will be

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Just for general info, Geoffrey V "Le Bel" or "Plantagenêt" got his nickname because he used to wear a stalk of broom on his hat. However, not all historians agree on that nickname origin.
    Richard III (1452 - 1485, King from 1483) is considered to be the last "Plantagenêt" owning the crown of England. In 1485, at the end of the War of the Roses, the Tudors accessed to the throne.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

There is also the game mechanics consideration, faction leaders/heirs never show their actual surnames because of their displayed Title, both King Henry and Duke Robert are actually registered as Henry Beauclerc and Robert Curthose respectively, only their offsprings would show the surname and only until they become faction heirs/leaders or in case of females get married and adopts husband's surname.
    So if you add the "de Normandie" surname to William's "ghost" and his sons only he and poor dead Rufus will show it while King Henry and Duke Robert stay the same.
    And In the Bugfix Compilation, not even William or Rufus would show it as both would have the King title as well being bare "King William" and "King Rufus"

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

A long time ago, I fiddled with the descr_strat enough that I had the whole blasted English Royal family on a start date of 1133.

Henry I held the throne and was in ailing health. He usually died within a couple of turns, and the crown passed to Stephen de Blois, who was the designated heir in descr_strat and married to Henry I's sister Matilda. Meanwhile, Henry's *daughter* Matilda (common name) began married to Geoffrey Plantagenet with a newborn son named Henry.

So basically, once Stephen de Blois became king, Geoffrey Plantagenet was named as the heir apparent due to him being the only remaining male family member. Once Henry was of age, I killed Stephen, killed Goeffrey, and voila! A transition from de Normandie to Plantagenet simulated in a game without civil war mechanics. AND Henry was even known as Henry II.

All was going so perfectly, until Henry II's sons Eustace, Harold, and Winston were born. *sigh*
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCuboid View Post
    ... All was going so perfectly, until Henry II's sons Eustace, Harold, and Winston were born. *sigh*
    Welcome to the Twilight Zone!!!
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I know its been brought up many times over the years, but is there still no way to change a General's name once they exist?
    I know there's no way to pick a name for them at first, but there's so many other things that can be changed and tweaked in the game...

I should be able to name my own digital children
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Blog Entries

That would be great. That might be possible if based on event like Council or Troubadour. Instead, it has to be the son or daughter birth. Then there should be a list of names in which you can choose the one you want. But that's just a guess.

The reason why the game didn't work when you changed the names in descr_strat is that you hadn't added them in the names file as well, so the game didn't accept them.