Thread: Competitions Plugin

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Competitions Plugin

TWC now has a Tournaments and Ladders feature so we can have competitions among members. It does a lot of stuff and is fairly complicated, so I need some help testing and figuring things out. Right now there are only two categories though we can add as many as we want.

Inside the Test Category is a Test Tournament starting at 6 PM tonight server time (4 hours from now). I need a bunch of people to join that tournament, it should automatically start tonight and then let you enter results. I don't care how you decide to enter results on this one since its a test. PM your opponent, flip a coin, select a random number, go fight a battle, whatever. Someone is going to have to enter the winner and loser for each match, and I assume its the two people in the match.

There is also a Dispute feature, so that if one of you enters the results wrong the match can be challenged. I don't want every single match disputed, but I do want to see how that feature works, so some of you Dispute your matches so we can figure it out. We will get all the way through this tournament and then try a Double Elimination or a Last Man Standing (good for shooters) and once we have a solid working knowledge of what to do and what not to do then we will test out Ladders and Leagues.

For now I just want to test the Tournaments. If this works well then TWC will host a monthly tournament with Awards and maybe some Steam prizes.

Also, what kinds of categories would you guys like to see? Obviously we want to have online TW battles, and I already inserted a Chess section. But what else?

Default Re: Competitions Plugin

"Monthly tournaments" Is this Rome 2 tournaments? 1v1?

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badmanis View Post
    "Monthly tournaments" Is this Rome 2 tournaments? 1v1?
    It can be all kinds of stuff. Why limit it to one sort of tournament?

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

There is a test tourney for each type now up and running.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

A couple of Ladders created in the Test Category. One for teams and one for individuals. Members cannot create teams yet, but you can join a team. Other admins will be creating teams to test with in the next day or so. I think once you are in the ladder you can schedule a match with anyone you want, and then the tournaments can either apply to the ladder or not so we can have some that do and some that do not impact your player ratings.

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

This is the same feature as the one on MCC?

Quote Originally Posted by BM309K58SMERCH View Post
    This is the same feature as the one on MCC?
    Yes.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

So what is the different between Leagues, Ladders, Competitions, Team Ladders etc.?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    So what is the different between Leagues, Ladders, Competitions, Team Ladders etc.?
    I need to get that all typed up.

Ladder = Ranking system to determine relative skill between players or teams. This one uses the Elo rating system so that you know going in if the player is worse or better than you once a baseline has been established. You can run the ladder for a specific time and then reset it or let it run forever. You can have tournaments that affect your rank in the ladder, and tournaments that do not. You can challenge players to a match, issue an open challenge to any player, etc. If you do not join the Ladder, you will not be able to participate in some things, such as a Ladder Tournament.

League = A group of players or teams that continually compete against each other over the course of a "season" at the end of which the winners are determined. Think of a bowling league or similar. We may run our seasons in quarters here, at least that is my initial idea. So from Jan 1 through March 31, etc. So you would register for the Winter League of Blah Blah, and compete against other players in the League weekly for points. The League can have its own Ladder to determine who won/lost in the League or you can just put the results in the main Ladder and keep score a different way.

Competition = Tournament.

Team = Obvious

Free Agent - You can sign up as a Free Agent and join the Ladder, and compete only individual matches and single player tournaments for a while to build up your rating, and then use this as a way to advertise yourself to an established Team or use it as a way to attract other Free Agents and start your own Team. For instance with this username I am a Team Leader and with GrnEyedBot I am a Free Agent. I see Shank registered as a Free Agent too.

I am working on writing some stuff now, and a couple of other admins are throwing rule ideas out there. I need to get this into the main forum soon so everyone can contribute.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation, makes a bit more sense.

So there could be like a main TWC Ladder that shows a members ranking across everything they've compete in (maybe not in team leagues/tournaments) and then Ladders for specific leagues/tournaments? e.g. the Script Writing Comp could have a Ladder to show people's rankings over the tournaments (probably not a good example).

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I am working on setting stuff up now, which I probably shouldn't do on a Sunday morning because every time I add/change a forum it has to rebuild the entire forumcache. When its all setup I will post as much detail as I can on everything.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Looking forward to it.

And man I'm jealous, my Sunday is almost over.

Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

There are now some forums everyone should be able to post in. I am not done creating everything yet as I want to get some input from the community, but we should move most of the discussion to the general Tournaments forums.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    It can be all kinds of stuff. Why limit it to one sort of tournament?
    Ah ok, was just thinking.