Thread: Orcs should have their upkeep cut in half.

Default Orcs should have their upkeep cut in half.

Orc factions in my opinion should have a very small upkeep for Orc units. Orcs are plentiful and easy to sustain. I feel replenishment is correct for all factions but I feel the upkeep for the Orcs, while lower then other units upkeep, should stil be much smaller. This would promote the ease of factions like Mordor to send waves of Orcs at their opponents.

Mordor on VH VH already has large stacks a plenty but I feel the only thing restringing Orc Factions should be replenishment rate as these factions should always be able to have larger Hordes available then the human Elf and Dwarf factions. The upper tier heavier armoured units would be acceptable to have a higher upkepp but the basic units should be as low as Sanga and the Snaga virtually free.

Anything to continue to promote the massive hordes crashing down on the free peoples.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Orcs should have their upkeep cut in half.

You never played MOS I take it; with 50+ Mordor and Harad fullstacks in Gondor alone on Turn 100...

I believe the game works just fine, but then I can hardly recall playing Vanilla.

PS, a bit of advice; framing your thread name as a blanket statement or an order is not the way to get others to approach it with an open mind. Especially not such a thread or request as this. It is, your opinion, not the general consensus and not the way KK and the team decided it should be- and they are quite competent after all...

Now if you had instead asked, "Should Ork upkeep be halved?" you would open for more constructive debate.

See what I mean?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

TATW is not in development any longer, so someone creating a submod with it for you, or, more reasonable, to change it yourself, is the only solutions to your opinion about what TATW should change.

It's simply to edit the export_description_units-file, in the data-folder.

Go to the units cost entry, looking like this:
    Code:
    stat_cost 0, 560, 150, 65, 50, 560, 4, 140
    Change the third number, here marked in red, that's the sum for upkeep.
    You can release the edited EDU as a submod after that, might be others who want the same thing (while I think many would dread more stack spam) as you do

In my memory, TATW currently use a system where the units (give or take) have 40% of their recruitment-cost as upkeep-cost.
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 24, 2014 at 07:57 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I would agree with this, but only for OotMM, since that's what you NEED to do to win xD Even Gundabad is more like an Orc version of Dale by the late game, but the Misty Mountain Orcs do not get any elite unit other than Cave Trolls -which have slow recruitment- and the Balrog.

But as Ngugi said, since the mod's no longer in development, you're just going to have to tweak it yourself :/

Playing Third Age vanilla over one of the amazing mods we have is like eating grass when there is a sweet steak just next to you..
    Good going CA, you really must be proud of your hard work.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/rome2%20blast.gif

I am playing DAC and there is like 80 upkeep for Snaga Archer/skirmisher which is super low and they are useful if you spam them :p
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Two questions: For what mod or submod are you making this request?

Why aren't you doing this yourself ?

I actually was thinking the upkeep for the player. Seems Mordor economy is a little light. Upkeep would solve this.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Upkeep is the same for player and AI, so it can't be affected for player only I note

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory