Thread: Civil Wars: An explanation of politics

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

Default Civil Wars: An explanation of politics

Hey there, I've seen a lot of confusion recently about civil wars, how they're activated, how many times, how to avoid and how to prevent, so I thought I'd take a crack at straightening it all out once and for all!

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

Primicerius

Default Re: Civil Wars: An explanation of politics

Do you mention that the civil war mechanic is currently broken? Craig acknowledged it here.

In a nutshell, civil wars are not supposed to happen if the party's influence is below 50% for republics and 70% for monarchies. This is how it should work according to Craig again. The problem is, civil wars break out randomly at lower influence right now.
    Last edited by Slaists; September 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Do you mention that the civil war mechanic is currently broken? Craig acknowledged it here.

In a nutshell, civil wars are not supposed to happen if the party's influence is below 50% for republics and 70% for monarchies. This is how it should work according to Craig again. The problem is, civil wars break out randomly at lower influence right now.
    Oh no, I didn't know about this problem... I had 3 civil wars before making the video, each time the conditions were acceptable for it. Just didn't know about it!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Yes. All I get is a minimum chance of civil war notification, and after a while, it breaks out. So, in order to avoid it, do I take actions on just other families?

Very useful video. Thanks!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Yes. All I get is a minimum chance of civil war notification, and after a while, it breaks out. So, in order to avoid it, do I take actions on just other families?
    Well the reason your chance is there at all is because your influence is too high. So what you need to do, is lower your influence. do this by creating marriges with the other families, ranking up their generals or killing your own generals.

Libertus

ok but Sega will have to make a balance, now there's something wrong

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTotalWar View Post
    Well the reason your chance is there at all is because your influence is too high. So what you need to do, is lower your influence. do this by creating marriges with the other families, ranking up their generals or killing your own generals.
    But if my influence is that great, shouldn't everybody be happy with what I'm doing? Shouldn't they be content? I heard this politics thing is not fine tuned. True? My first EE campaign was with Egypt. One civil war happened, and it tokk me an hour to turn it around. When I finished it, I tried Antony's Rome. Civil war came without warning. I lost my best provinces, and 3 out of my 4 fighting armies. I gave that one up.
    Last edited by Hoplite of Ilis; September 25, 2014 at 09:29 AM.

Libertus

was much clearer before the imperium had to reach a certain level, you had to balance the influence of families and suppress the characters too "enterprising" is now just a big mess and easy to play and I do not want to think about those who play in normal or worse !!

Well, if you don't feel like your faction is in danger that's probably because you entered the civil war prepared for it.

I never bought the game, but when steam had an offer to play it for free the last weekend I decided to binge play a (roman) grand campaign, going into it completely unprepared and because I tend not to worry a lot about the advanced stuff on my first playthrough the civil war hit me like a truck: with only one loyal legion out of five or six and almost no money there wasn't very much I could do.

Admittedly, after I read up on it, the next time around it was easily delayed until I was ready and could easily deal with it. It was still fun, but I don't doubt it can be a hell of an annoying feature if you have to pay attention all the time. I don't think any of the other games has a feature with this potential for frustration, not even realm divide.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tried saving before the civil war, then waiting to see which armies turn against you, then loading before the civil war to liquidate turncoat armies before they have a chance to rebel.

I like the politics aspect of the game but I don't like the fact that civil war is inevitable/practically scripted after a certain level of imperium. If it wasn't scripted I would play the conflict out as part of the game but because it is scripted I just want to get it over with asap.

FYI, in my experience, it is important to have a good idea which territories will turn against you. For instance, if you've used certain regions as 'breadbasket' s then you may have a food shortage on hand if those regions turn against you all of a sudden. This can really cripple the forces that you need to reunite your territories. That said, you want a large food surplus before things go south.

I just had a massive civil war in my game, and lost around 65%-75% of my lands and majority of armies

Damn Senate-loyalists.

But nicely enough, it forced me to read on the political system of the game haha
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

I got a question, lets say there is a civil war and you win .... does that mean you are rid of the "other house" or is that just a wishful thinking ?