Page 5 of 506 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer - Version 0.52 Released

Default Re: Divide and Conquer Public Beta Release - Patch 0.3

The fix brought the actual Amon Sul back! Thank you. (: I can continue my Dunedain campaign! ((Defending that village was so much more difficult ))

Quote Originally Posted by Nariac View Post
    I saw one of the Ringwraiths, named Uvatha the Horseman the Tyrant.

Perhaps it might be an idea to simply name him Uvatha, and have him spawn with the Great Cavalry Commander trait which will give him "the Horseman" as a title anyway?

There are several other titles which I think are impossible to earn in Third Age, such as "the Lover" and "the Queen"

Maybe these titles could be changed and used for some of the other Nazgul? So they start with them, nobody else can earn them, and they might be replaced with other titles later on.

Example: Ren starts with the modified "the Lover" title which is now "the Unclean" - with some suitable editing to make it a Nazgul trait, and not a sex maniac. He later earns the "the Scarred" title and becomes Ren the Scarred, not Ren the Unclean the Scarred.
    That is a great idea! But I think it would be even better if the sex-maniac Nazgul was a thing

On a balance-related note, I started a Rohan campaign the other night (a counter-point to the Isengard campaigns people have been talking about here I suppose)... and I got my face stomped. This is partially due to that inadequate garrison at Helm's Deep (I was counting on more ), and partially due to the damn Trolls. Rohan simply has no answer, and they are the primary swing factor. Perhaps delay them back to barracks event again, and allow them one, max. 2 at the beginning?

edit: however on the whole, this is a really great mod now, very few little bugs apart from some 'TO BE DONE' and some Dunlending weirdness. I really enjoyed the rebalanced units and factions though now, everything feels great now and my other campaigns have been top stuff. I'll report back on more balance stuff at some future point as well. Great work!
    Last edited by salzella; September 26, 2014 at 08:55 AM.

So 130 turns in, works like a charm so far, not a single crash. Hopefully it stays that way

Rohan was the first faction to die 5 turns ago, but they were double teamed by Isengard and Mordor. Gondor is basicially broken (but still a long way to finish them off), but other than that, the Free Peoples are doing better now. Angmar, Rhun and OoTMM are endangered, since both High Elf factions, Dunedain and Ered Luin dwarves are beastin' now. Eriador is thriving because Dunland and Enedwaith are fighting each other. Enedwaith has also attacked Isengard, so yeah, they are really unpredicable and can tip the balance between good/evil. Very nice.

Dorwinion is what Rhun used to be before the patch, they are very strong, as are the dwarves of Erebor. Mordor is heading north to help Rhun out, will be pretty interesting there.

Great great mod thank you so much. Extra special thanks to Zarathos for the amazing Umbar units (and of course the beautiful Dol Amroth units, but since they are a real pain to fight against, I can't enjoy them that much yet )

One small bug I noticed: if Angmar loses Sheldun, the message says that Carn Dum is lost.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; September 26, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

Will the new moria of leo's settlements be implemented in a future release?

Quote Originally Posted by sereventus View Post
    I will get the actual text string it pops up...as far as garrisons that makes sense but amon sul is a starting zone and i do not have a garrison there...is this intended?
    I'm not a developer but Amon Sul's one of the 15 entries in the garrison script where the faction involved only gets a garrison if they're controlled by the AI, so it's deliberate (if I'm reading the regions correctly the same is true of Annuminas.)

It seems to be easy to fix though (as long as you use Notepad++.) Just search and find the lines in the script that say "I_IsFactionAIControlled" and replace them with "I_IsFaction" for any or all of the entries desired.

I tested this with the North Ithilien garrison (Henneth Annun) and it worked, but I must confess I haven't yet played a campaign where I've altered all of the entries (I'm starting that one this afternoon.)

As an aside I've also modified the garrison script to give Rohan a 6 size garrison at Helm's Deep (instead of 3) and restored Henneth Annun's garrison to the 6 units of the previous beta (it was down to 4 in this release.)

-------

To the developers

Concerning the garrison script I'm rather surprised that if I've understood the script correctly some regions can never have a garrison of any type save that provided for the original owning culture, or sometimes the original owning culture and one other. I would have thought some of the cultures would be so prolific (I'm thinking in particular of those "Melkor" cultures that use Orcs in their forces) that they ought to be able to have garrisons everywhere (representing an ability to more rapidly colonise a region than other races.)

Also, the version I downloaded from the MODDB has Khazad-Dhum in Dwarven hands from the start of the campaign. Even if the "Balin campaign" is still bugged I hope this is only a temporary solution (also because I didn't notice the "bugged" campaign causing many issues in the previous build (other than the Eregion script error.) I played it once and it worked and as far as I could tell it didn't crash any of the other dozen campaigns I played using the 0.2 version.) Do you have any idea when the quest/campaign will be stable?

I am having a problem with downloading the patch 0.3
    Tried it three times, but I get a 1.96 gb file each time whose format is"3-File" and no installer...
    Can you please generate a 'Mega'link or upload it to Google Drive...I know I am asking too much but really wanna play

"I'm not a developer but Amon Sul's one of the 15 entries in the garrison script where the faction involved only gets a garrison if they're controlled by the AI, so it's deliberate (if I'm reading the regions correctly the same is true of Annuminas.)

It seems to be easy to fix though (as long as you use Notepad++.) Just search and find the lines in the script that say "I_IsFactionAIControlled" and replace them with "I_IsFaction" for any or all of the entries desired. ".

Yup. Amon Sul gets no garrison. Aragorn just bought it.

Where do you find these lines to give Amon Sul a garrison Agelestas?? Are they in the export_desc_building file or in another file/folder. I'm going to try to mod it. Angmar's too strong without Amon Sul getting a garrison imo. I'm a mega-newb modder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    Yup. Amon Sul gets no garrison. Aragorn just bought it.

Where do you find these lines to give Amon Sul a garrison Agelestas?? Are they in the export_desc_building file or in another file/folder. I'm going to try to mod it. Angmar's too strong without Amon Sul getting a garrison imo. I'm a mega-newb modder.
    Well, firstly, although I'm being repetitive it can't be stressed enough that you need to use notepad++ or similar; standard notepad will almost certainly corrupt the files.

The file you need is "campaign_script.txt". The path to this folder from the "Medieval II" folder of a standard, non-Steam, install is mods\Third_Age_3*\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

The campaign script file is probably the largest text file in the Mod. If you want to change Amon_Sul specifically then you need to search for the term "I_IsFactionAIControlled" and stop at the 12th instance.

The section should look like this but with a little more formatting.

monitor_event GeneralAssaultsResidence TargetFactionType turks
    and IsTargetRegionOneOf Weather-Hills_Province
    and I_SettlementUnderSiege Weather-Hills
    and I_IsFactionAIControlled turks
    console_command create_unit Weather-Hills "Dunedain Garrison" 1 0 0 0
    console_command create_unit Weather-Hills "Dunedain Garrison" 2 0 0 0

set_counter garrison 1
    end_monitor

Remove the "AIControlled" part and what should happen is a 3 unit garrison pops up to help your garrison the next time Amon Sul is besieged. If you want to increase the size of the garrison (which would be a bit against the Lore given the low population of the area) change either the 1 or the 2 to a higher figure.

*Or whatever you've named your folder at this level - I have the original Third Age, MOS and DAC installed on my machine so I'm sure others have multiple installations as well.

I appreciate it Agelastus. Going to give it a try now. I'll make sure I download Notepad++.

Thanks

Am I alone to think that Cavalery generals are too strongs ?

I would like to have opinion of the Staff about the things I said : cavalery generals are too strong, especially Mordor.

- So maybe banning all general cavalery except for one unit per faction ? Cavalery should be elite unit, used with precauation to avoid lost.

Hello I'm having a problem with the installation. I've downloaded the mod before without any problems but not sure as to why I'm having problems this time around.
    So far I have downloaded a fresh TATW, public beta, and patch 2.0. The problem I'm having is when I download patch 3.0 it is downloaded as a "3file" which I cannot open. I have WinRAR and notepad+ but they wont work for it, any help would be greatly appreciated....sorry if this is a basic problem, I'm not very tech savvy.

I also am a steam user but im pretty sure that's irrelevant in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Koko_Fr View Post
    Yes they are strong, especialy when playing against Rohan... Rohan general can kill your like 500 soldiers , even spearmen.. Only pikemen are good against them. And the Rohan general always die last from his unit, and have ridiculous HP. But I dont complain, I think its just hows the game, and killing generals shouldnt be easy.

Anyway, Ive encountered issue with diplomacy. I am playing as Isengard and neither any evil faction would ally with me. Even if I offer them like 500 coins x 10 turns, and the offer is seen as "Very generous", then they reply with "just rejected", as that alliance is not with their best interest. Ive encoutered this even with my previous campaign playing as Erebor. It seems very hard to make alliances according to lore and even if it benefits to both sides. Never had this issue in previous DaC release. Are there changes?
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Quote Originally Posted by titili View Post
    Will the new moria of leo's settlements be implemented in a future release?
    Very unlikely, we do not have the necessary mapping skills.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJaikishan View Post
    I am having a problem with downloading the patch 0.3
    Tried it three times, but I get a 1.96 gb file each time whose format is"3-File" and no installer...
    Can you please generate a 'Mega'link or upload it to Google Drive...I know I am asking too much but really wanna play
    My internet is currently undergoing maintenance but when all is well I will see about re-uploading to Mediafire or uploading to Mega. I should say however that 200 people have used Mediafire and only 2 have reported a problem. Can you not use Mod DB? A user elsewhere did say that he just had to manually add the extension .exe to the file and it ran perfectly well. Perhaps give that a whirl?

Quote Originally Posted by Agelastus View Post
    Well, firstly, although I'm being repetitive it can't be stressed enough that you need to use notepad++ or similar; standard notepad will almost certainly corrupt the files.

The file you need is "campaign_script.txt". The path to this folder from the "Medieval II" folder of a standard, non-Steam, install is mods\Third_Age_3*\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

The campaign script file is probably the largest text file in the Mod. If you want to change Amon_Sul specifically then you need to search for the term "I_IsFactionAIControlled" and stop at the 12th instance.

The section should look like this but with a little more formatting.

monitor_event GeneralAssaultsResidence TargetFactionType turks
    and IsTargetRegionOneOf Weather-Hills_Province
    and I_SettlementUnderSiege Weather-Hills
    and I_IsFactionAIControlled turks
    console_command create_unit Weather-Hills "Dunedain Garrison" 1 0 0 0
    console_command create_unit Weather-Hills "Dunedain Garrison" 2 0 0 0
    First of all, the reason we removed the Garrison is because of all the settlements in the game Amon Sul is perhaps the most well documented as being a ruin that no-one uses, but of course, mod as you wish.

The only thing not covered by Agelastus's detailed tutorial is that any change to the campaign_script will need the map.rww to be deleted and a new game to be started. (map.rwm is deleted by running the cleaner)

Quote Originally Posted by Koko_Fr View Post

I would like to have opinion of the Staff about the things I said : cavalery generals are too strong, especially Mordor.

- So maybe banning all general cavalery except for one unit per faction ? Cavalery should be elite unit, used with precauation to avoid lost.
    Hello, I am a current leader of DaC, hopefully I can put your issue to rest.

Have you played vanilla TATW? You were banging on about cavalry ruining it for you in patch 2 as well but ever since vanilla cavalry BG's have been unbalanced and this is just a known issue. There is no solution; for every person who finds the game easy there is someone who finds it hard. If the cav BG are proving OP, then don't use them? Keep them out of battle or have captain's lead your armies?

We have massively adjusted the Dol Amroth BG in light of how strong they were and for Mordor, only the Nazgul get those powerful BG but without them then the Nazgul becoming nothing, arrow fodder or worse so a compromise always has to be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by bwady View Post
    Hello I'm having a problem with the installation. I've downloaded the mod before without any problems but not sure as to why I'm having problems this time around.
    So far I have downloaded a fresh TATW, public beta, and patch 2.0. The problem I'm having is when I download patch 3.0 it is downloaded as a "3file" which I cannot open. I have WinRAR and notepad+ but they wont work for it, any help would be greatly appreciated....sorry if this is a basic problem, I'm not very tech savvy.

I also am a steam user but im pretty sure that's irrelevant in this issue.
    Please see my comment above to user JJJaikishan.

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    Yes they are strong, especialy when playing against Rohan... Rohan general can kill your like 500 soldiers , even spearmen.. Only pikemen are good against them. And the Rohan general always die last from his unit, and have ridiculous HP. But I dont complain, I think its just hows the game, and killing generals shouldnt be easy.

Anyway, Ive encountered issue with diplomacy. I am playing as Isengard and neither any evil faction would ally with me. Even if I offer them like 500 coins x 10 turns, and the offer is seen as "Very generous", then they reply with "just rejected", as that alliance is not with their best interest. Ive encoutered this even with my previous campaign playing as Erebor. It seems very hard to make alliances according to lore and even if it benefits to both sides. Never had this issue in previous DaC release. Are there changes?
    Diplomacy hasn't been altered, nor has faction standing. Perhaps you are at war with someone they like or something like that. Bare in mind the unbreakable alliances has some odd effects on diplomacy.

Many thanks to you all for your reports so far but bare in mind that hearing about your campaigns going well is far more enjoyable and to hear of your exploits in the mod is a much better read for me. Screenshots are always good to see too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    First of all, the reason we removed the Garrison is because of all the settlements in the game Amon Sul is perhaps the most well documented as being a ruin that no-one uses, but of course, mod as you wish.
    I don't disagree with the nature of the area; it may be a key region for the Dunedain but I wouldn't increase the garrison size over what it is due to the Lore (unlike the garrison of Helm's Deep which does need increasing - not so much because of the high population in the area but because it was the main point of refuge for the people of Western Rohan, and historically so at that.) Unfortunately I think it does need a garrison (even for the human player) even more so than it did in 0.3 precisely because it is such a key location for the Dunedain...and because of the increase in "free province grabs" you've given the AI (in particular, Dunland to the south and Angmar to the north.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    The only thing not covered by Agelastus's detailed tutorial is that any change to the campaign_script will need the map.rww to be deleted and a new game to be started. (map.rwm is deleted by running the cleaner)
    I'm strictly an amateur modder myself (hence why I've never attempted anything major with DAC for my own private purposes such as converting Breeland into a passive Shire and transferring Bree itself and Archet to the Dunedain) but I would appreciate it if you could clarify as to why the deletion of the map.rwm is needed? When I tested my alteration of North Ithilien's section of the garrison script with a Gondor campaign it ran for a dozen turns without issue. Is it just the general possibility of instability or a specific known issue?

[QUOTE=Arachir Galudirithon;14121829]Very unlikely, we do not have the necessary mapping skills.

My internet is currently undergoing maintenance but when all is well I will see about re-uploading to Mediafire or uploading to Mega. I should say however that 200 people have used Mediafire and only 2 have reported a problem. Can you not use Mod DB? A user elsewhere did say that he just had to manually add the extension .exe to the file and it ran perfectly well. Perhaps give that a whirl?

This worked for me, for the "3file" I simply added .exe and was able to install it, thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    The "magic figure" with 0.2 was 600 coins and 16 turns to guarantee a successful alliance offer (assuming you hadn't done something to reduce your diplomatic credibility such as attacking Breeland as the Northern Dunedain.) This was how I used to buy Gondor the alliances it should have been able to make in 0.2 (the rest of the West seems to dislike Gondor for some reason in DAC.)

I don't know if this is still the "magic figure" with 0.3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Agelastus View Post
    The "magic figure" with 0.2 was 600 coins and 16 turns to guarantee a successful alliance offer (assuming you hadn't done something to reduce your diplomatic credibility such as attacking Breeland as the Northern Dunedain.) This was how I used to buy Gondor the alliances it should have been able to make in 0.2 (the rest of the West seems to dislike Gondor for some reason in DAC.)

I don't know if this is still the "magic figure" with 0.3 though.
    It is strange tho... I would assume that playing as Isengard and allying with Mordor should not cost anything. I remember it from 0.2. I am at war only with Rohan and Fangorn and have Amiable relations with Mordor but they dont wanna. I will try higher tribute next time but it doesnt seem right. Maybe just coincidence but my previous campaign was as Erebor and no one would accept my alliance (thranduil, men of Vale,...)

In 0.2 I was able to make alliances according to lore pretty easy and without any cost.
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Thanx Arachir for replying....Adding the .exe extension manually to the file seems to unleash the beast..
    Playing as Dol Amroth...Harad keeps kicking me in the nuts...but absolutely love the mod...
    The Campaign map is pure GOLD!!!

I have read around that you can no longer re-unite Gondor and Arnor in this, even that the Northern Dunedain aren't even able to reform themselves into Arnor. Does this mean that Gondor is unable to train its elite soldiers at Minas Ithil? I was pretty disappointed to find that out in 0.2, since a Gondor that defeats Mordor should have a resurgence in its old Numenorian golden days.

Good Morning Guys and Arachir,

i want to say that the game now works like a charm. I dont know why but i had crashes at the beginning even if i ran the cleaner.bat. The cleaner.bat didnt cleaned up anything after the installation from 0.3 but after a restart of my pc the cleaner.bat cleaned up the two files and i can play without crashes. I only want to thank you for such a great Patch and i want to ask you, where is my Glorfindel? I want him back or can i put him somehow to an elvish faction?

That was me. Eventually you can add that 3-file thing as an info to the first page for Persons which download from Medialink?

Sry for my english it's not the best.

greetings Likepain