Page 29 of 506 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738395479129 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer - Version 0.52 Released

Default Re: Divide and Conquer Public Beta Release - Patch 0.31 - First Hotfix Released

Quote Originally Posted by broodwarjc View Post
    I do want to bring up about playing as the Remnants of Angmar...
    Angmar are certainly one of the hardest factions for the player. The AI does OK these days thanks to scripting and whatnot I presume, but for a player it is hard. No money, largely utter garbage troops, strong enemies, long travel times, all very true. I don't really know what to suggest, because i quite like the long distances and times involved in northern Eriador, feels realistic. Maybe buff their starting settlements, particularly Shedun and Carn-Dum, and give them limited recruitment of early trolls? They need something that can stand up to their enemies for sure.

On a side note, neither RoA in this mod or OoG in others have included the 'white wolves' mentioned in some of the appendices. I've always thought that was a bit of a wasted opportunity to add a unique element to what is kind of just another orc faction. Maybe our friends in DaC could borrow/steal/loan Ngugi+Withnwar's 'werewolf' unit from DCI and re-skin it? ...I can dream .
    Last edited by salzella; October 23, 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer Public Beta Release - Patch 0.31 - First Hotfix Released

Heh, believe me we'd love to add a white wolf unit to Angmar! But, sadly, building something like that from scratch is rather beyond my limited skills I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by salzella View Post
    Angmar are certainly one of the hardest factions for the player. The AI does OK these days thanks to scripting and whatnot I presume, but for a player it is hard. No money, largely utter garbage troops, strong enemies, long travel times, all very true. I don't really know what to suggest, because i quite like the long distances and times involved in northern Eriador, feels realistic. Maybe buff their starting settlements, particularly Shedun and Carn-Dum, and give them limited recruitment of early trolls? They need something that can stand up to their enemies for sure.

On a side note, neither RoA in this mod or OoG in others have included the 'white wolves' mentioned in some of the appendices. I've always thought that was a bit of a wasted opportunity to add a unique element to what is kind of just another orc faction. Maybe our friends in DaC could borrow/steal/loan Ngugi+Withnwar's 'werewolf' unit from DCI and re-skin it? ...I can dream .
    Yeah buffing a settlement would be the easiest thing or if they want to spend the time, maybe they can add a reforged Angmar script; that would add pop for a cost(gold fee or something) to a lot of those low pop villages, so you can make them into towns which at least generate some kind of revenue. I do like the first part of the campaign for RoA and think it is fine, but late game, their elite units are too expensive for their meager income and they have too many enemies that attack them at once. For now I think I might delve into the game files and try adding some to the pop of the villages. Like I said I think the first part of the campaign is a real challenge, but a fun one (with you having to carefully strike out of the road-less north and combat ambushing Dunedain stacks. The problem is that late game you really need roads for movement and income. Maybe just buffing the village pops so they grow into towns by late game could work?

Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    Heh, believe me we'd love to add a white wolf unit to Angmar! But, sadly, building something like that from scratch is rather beyond my limited skills I'm afraid
    Maybe ask if you can borrow Alreadyded's work? He's made a lot of beasties, wargs and what have you.

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Radagaisus View Post
    Maybe ask if you can borrow Alreadyded's work? He's made a lot of beasties, wargs and what have you.
    I am always 100% favorable to new units especially if they come with new graphics and feel unique!

Hi guys, I have a question for anyone that knows how to awnser.

How does the diplomacy work is it like vanila medieval 2?
    Are some faction hardcoded to have the same diplomatic wievs and never change? Since it sometimes is abysmal even if you are at war with them
    Does the campagin dificulty changes the diplomatic outcomes of proposal?
    Do the relations or repurtation changes based on your actions such as for instance gondor is at war with mordor but has a trade agrrement with harad or dol guldur? As sometimes I could see relations worrsening for no apperent reason, even with faction with wich there is barely or no contact such as gondor and lindon elves.
    Does chilvarly or dread (such as releasing or executing prisoners, ocupaying or extermenating) changes anything regarding diplomacy?
    Will the enermy accept peace for a longer period if you are winning and they fell threathend

If there is someone who knows the codes and the difference bettwen vanila medieval 2 and third age dac.
    Since Im just a player and not a modder so I dont have a full grasp on these differences, functions and mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by broodwarjc View Post
    Yeah buffing a settlement would be the easiest thing or if they want to spend the time, maybe they can add a reforged Angmar script; that would add pop for a cost(gold fee or something) to a lot of those low pop villages, so you can make them into towns which at least generate some kind of revenue. I do like the first part of the campaign for RoA and think it is fine, but late game, their elite units are too expensive for their meager income and they have too many enemies that attack them at once. For now I think I might delve into the game files and try adding some to the pop of the villages. Like I said I think the first part of the campaign is a real challenge, but a fun one (with you having to carefully strike out of the road-less north and combat ambushing Dunedain stacks. The problem is that late game you really need roads for movement and income. Maybe just buffing the village pops so they grow into towns by late game could work?
    Currently testing the following changes:
    Angmar starting cities population raised for added income/faster growth for Mt Gram:
    Carn Dum pop raised 948 to 1448
    Mt Gram pop raised 2846 to 3846
    Litash pop raised 373 to 573

Rebel Villages population raised for late game roads/increased funds:
    Ruskea Vene pop raised 389 to 689
    Athilin pop raised 154 to 654
    Nocha Rhaglaw pop raised 216 to 616

These changes should allow the villages to grow to town level sometime after turn 70(testing will see if my math is off ). I feel that these changes fit for the faction due to Angmar trying to regain its former strength. Plus these rebel village changes cna help the Dunedain faction if they claim them for "reforming" Arnor's strength.

those are good changes, angmar is too poor especially late game

also by some miracle i finally managed to get the ring when i captured imladris, had trouble gettin it before, ring script needs to be looked at
    since i was isengard the amazing saruman one ring script activated, but each 'path' has problems

isengard ring bugs
    -nazgul have a peasant icon on the unit stats & description screen
    -the message said i'd be able to produce uruks in isengard but i cant
    -some settlements (e.g. seleburg) dont lose saurons protection after being ' excommunicated' after choosing to keep the ring
    -nazgul are completely silver

i wish i had recorded this, i made a 9 nazgul army and faced impossible odds, but i used the 'terror of nazgul' ability 9 times simultaneously and scared half their troops away lol. won a heroic victory, it was amazing but i didnt get a command increase for some reason

the other major bug is that choosing to return the ring to sauron does nothing. i reloaded the save and tried it, message said to wait until sauron orders me to return the ring but its been 10 turns and nothin has happened yet
    Last edited by rusty887; October 23, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

How do I change the number of men in Gandalf's unit?? I know how to do it for generic units, but I can't find Gandalf. Is he in the export_unit file or the campaign_script file?? So much to go through he's buried somewhere (at least for me).

Imo Gandalf should be the most powerful "Good" unit in the game--more so even than Aragorn, Elrond, etc. He was a Maiar (which in Tolkien's Catholic worldview=Angel). In the game, his unit is powerful but WAY too small. He should kick ass.

That was a flaw in the movie to me incidentally. Aragorn eclipsed Gandalf. In the books that wasn't true. It was Gandalf's victory (with Frodo and Sam of course). Jackson having the Witch King throw Gandalf the White around like a rag doll was bush league too. In the books it was a standoff. Ruined the scene for me (as did his portrayal of Denethor as a runting pig).

Anyway, I'd like to increase his unit size if possible. Any help would be appreciated. It's a great mod and getting even better. Thanks.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Got another typo (ish) error in game, for the Silvan elf diplomats the trait "Nandor" appears to have its export_VNS.txt description as the actual trait name rather than the popup text when you hover over it with the mouse.

Also slightly disappointed with my Rohan campaign, after watching the ai fail countless times my own attempt resulted in Isengard being destroyed by turn four. Is it possible to fix Isengard and OOFTMM so that taking their capital doesn't result in the faction being destroyed (Orthanc and Goblin Town respectively)? It only seems to occur with those two factions as well which is rather unfair seeing as Gondor can lose Minas Tirith or Rohan can lose Edoras.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Quote Originally Posted by rusty887 View Post
    those are good changes, angmar is too poor especially late game

also by some miracle i finally managed to get the ring when i captured imladris, had trouble gettin it before, ring script needs to be looked at
    since i was isengard the amazing saruman one ring script activated, but each 'path' has problems

isengard ring bugs
    -nazgul have a peasant icon on the unit stats & description screen
    -the message said i'd be able to produce uruks in isengard but i cant
    -some settlements (e.g. seleburg) dont lose saurons protection after being ' excommunicated' after choosing to keep the ring
    -nazgul are completely silver

i wish i had recorded this, i made a 9 nazgul army and faced impossible odds, but i used the 'terror of nazgul' ability 9 times simultaneously and scared half their troops away lol. won a heroic victory, it was amazing but i didnt get a command increase for some reason

the other major bug is that choosing to return the ring to sauron does nothing. i reloaded the save and tried it, message said to wait until sauron orders me to return the ring but its been 10 turns and nothin has happened yet
    There are problems with almost all major scripts, I have recently played a game as Dol Amroth (not the one in all the maps I posted) and the game had a game-ending crash at turn 53 because of scripts. I then played as Northedain and again I had a crash due to scripts, not fatal this time but still not desirable. I am going to put out some inquiries into the only few advanced scripters I know to still be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    How do I change the number of men in Gandalf's unit?? I know how to do it for generic units, but I can't find Gandalf. Is he in the export_unit file or the campaign_script file?? So much to go through he's buried somewhere (at least for me).

Imo Gandalf should be the most powerful "Good" unit in the game--more so even than Aragorn, Elrond, etc. He was a Maiar (which in Tolkien's Catholic worldview=Angel). In the game, his unit is powerful but WAY too small. He should kick ass.

That was a flaw in the movie to me incidentally. Aragorn eclipsed Gandalf. In the books that wasn't true. It was Gandalf's victory (with Frodo and Sam of course). Jackson having the Witch King throw Gandalf the White around like a rag doll was bush league too. In the books it was a standoff. Ruined the scene for me (as did his portrayal of Denethor as a runting pig).

Anyway, I'd like to increase his unit size if possible. Any help would be appreciated. It's a great mod and getting even better. Thanks.
    Gandalf has the grey-company:
    First, get notepad++
    head to the export_descr_unit and search for the this line 'Grey_Company'
    Then, on the soldier line: soldier grey_company, 8, 0, 0.95,
    Increase the number 8 to whatever you like, bare in mind that if this unit has 100 people then it has the potential (as reported by users) to win battles against 1000+ units and still win. Raising it too high will ruin the experience, do bare in mind that although Gandalf was powerful, he isn't the best open warfare/melee fighter there is.
    Also, if you are using the default huge unit size then the number above will be multiplied by 2.5.

Nerva's Avatar Ordinarius

Thank you for the most absorbing and challenging campaign I've ever played on a Total war game!
    Only complain is that Khamul's Shadow rangers charging still crashes my game

Quote Originally Posted by Nerva View Post
    Thank you for the most absorbing and challenging campaign I've ever played on a Total war game!
    Only complain is that Khamul's Shadow rangers charging still crashes my game
    Are you in control of them or are they charging you? What units do you have? Sorry they persist in crashing.

"Gandalf has the grey-company:
    First, get notepad++
    head to the export_descr_unit and search for the this line 'Grey_Company'
    Then, on the soldier line: soldier grey_company, 8, 0, 0.95,
    Increase the number 8 to whatever you like, bare in mind that if this unit has 100 people then it has the potential (as reported by users) to win battles against 1000+ units and still win. Raising it too high will ruin the experience, do bare in mind that although Gandalf was powerful, he isn't the best open warfare/melee fighter there is.
    Also, if you are using the default huge unit size then the number above will be multiplied by 2.5.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm going to increase his unit to Aragorn's size and maybe bump up his stats a little. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    Are you in control of them or are they charging you? What units do you have? Sorry they persist in crashing.
    Yeah, they were in my control, I was fighting Mirkwood elves and Dale, they hadn't run out of arrows but I needed them holding the line so I ordered the charge... I saw them running towards the enemmy, I noticed they hadnt pulled out their swords and then CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerva View Post
    Yeah, they were in my control, I was fighting Mirkwood elves and Dale, they hadn't run out of arrows but I needed them holding the line so I ordered the charge... I saw them running towards the enemmy, I noticed they hadnt pulled out their swords and then CTD.
    Hummingbird has looked into it and when I am home tomorrow evening I will see what I can do unless he fixes it in the meantime. Thank you for the information.

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Just a quick:

I was about to say "oh, Balim's guard is so OP, 10 attacks + armor bonus, 40 defense, they can cut through my uruk pikes easily without cajualties"... I was trying to put my catapults to shoot at them, but in Khazak-dûm I had no such chance, I was trying to put my crossbow uruks to shot at them, but they little to no damage and when Balim's charge it, it goes to hell, I tried a bezerk charge from behind while pike uruks hold it in place, Balim's sent both of them to hell...

I was almost screaming "WHO THE HAD THAT IDEA AND... oh... I forgot something" then I sent the trolls. I could hear Balim screaming "NOT FAI... *slash* urgh". Balim's guard seens allergic to it! Now I feel stupid for not using it from start in this battle and losing something ~100 troops just to Balim's guard.

I'm almost finishing my campaing with Isengard and my next one I plan to do with a good faction. I think I will miss a lot the Melkor-solution-of-all-traits: TROLLS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    Hummingbird has looked into it and when I am home tomorrow evening I will see what I can do unless he fixes it in the meantime. Thank you for the information.
    No problem, its the less I can do
    Now that I am bug hunting, the "Isengard expands" event has a weird text, it looks like Saruman is good...

Yeah Isengard Trolls are super awesome... Total berserkers... I crushed all of Lorien Elves with one stack of Uruk infantry+crossbows+pikes+wargs and 2 units of White Trolls... So awesome.. No chance for anybody
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

I was playing custom games and I noticed Sauron and the Balrog were not there. Where they removed in the latest patch?