Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Illogical Relgion

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Re: The Most Illogical Relgion

Well all I can say is I don't think it is in the Pali Canon and I certainly think its the first I've come across it*, it sounds similar to the birth of Indra and as I pointed out various other myths.

*I make it a point to avoid the Buddha myths, cosmology and other fantastical stuff surrounding the life of the Buddha. I'm tempted to suggest that comes from something like the Lalitavistara Sūtra or another Mahayana text which lend themselves to amazing stories and whatnot. These are 1st-3rd CE texts and well its up to others if they want to engage in that area of Buddhism and not for me to pass judgement I'm just not sure what is to be gained there. I should also point out that I am somewhat alienated and I think most westerners can't even imagine the level of syncretic practice around beliefs in the Eastern part of the world during that time.
    Last edited by Denny Crane!; October 15, 2014 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Well all I can say is I don't think it is in the Pali Canon and I certainly think its the first I've come across it*, it sounds similar to the birth of Indra and as I pointed out various other myths.

*I make it a point to avoid the Buddha myths, cosmology and other fantastical stuff surrounding the life of the Buddha. I'm tempted to suggest that comes from something like the Lalitavistara Sūtra or another Mahayana text which lend themselves to amazing stories and whatnot. These are 1st-3rd CE texts and well its up to others if they want to engage in that area of Buddhism and not for me to pass judgement I'm just not sure what is to be gained there.
    Yeah like I said before, its mythology, but its widely acknowledged as such instead of being taught as historical fact. This significantly changes the way people should look at Buddhism compared to Christianity/Islam/Judaism. However, alot of western scholars still read Buddhist texts with TRUE HISTORICAL FACT in mind, and are disappointed with what they find. These are Eastern texts, and should be treated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by jockmcplop View Post
    Yeah like I said before, its mythology, but its widely acknowledged as such instead of being taught as historical fact. This significantly changes the way people should look at Buddhism compared to Christianity/Islam/Judaism. However, alot of western scholars still read Buddhist texts with TRUE HISTORICAL FACT in mind, and are disappointed with what they find. These are Eastern texts, and should be treated as such.
    Which western scholars? I've found most western scholarship of the region reasonable, its discussing it with lay people where it can get frustrating. This is my most recent find and I'm greatly enjoying their study and their appreciation of the way religion and belief was approached at the time.

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    To be logical a religion would have to abandon the supernatural and the untestable. Being I do not know any that do, they are all equally illogical.
    This.
    I find it quite amusing that Scientology is often singled out as the "crazy" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry of Grosmont View Post
    This.
    I find it quite amusing that Scientology is often singled out as the "crazy" one.
    Low hanging fruit, no one is really worried about offending them who doesn't work in Hollywood at any rate.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry of Grosmont View Post
    This.
    Low hanging fruit, no one is really worried about offending them who doesn't work in Hollywood at any rate.
    Easy to go after the new one that can be called a cult.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Mormons have really graduated form cult status and they get made fun of, pretty much all the time, and they take it pretty good normally. We went to see "Book of Mormon" last year (its awesome btw) and the playbill basically had adds for the Moron Church in it, nothing hostile just "You saw the play, now read the book".
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Mormons have really graduated form cult status and they get made fun of, pretty much all the time, and they take it pretty good normally. We went to see "Book of Mormon" last year (its awesome btw) and the playbill basically had adds for the Moron Church in it, nothing hostile just "You saw the play, now read the book".
    The difference being, literally, Scientology was written and made by a sci-fi author who said he could make more money off a religion than his own writing.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

We're nothing if not media savvy

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    We're nothing if not media savvy
    If I had to pick an illogical belief to believe in, I'd go Mormon. I will state this though, when you guys go from Mormon to Ex-Mormon, you REALLY know how to party.

My shameful truth.

If I had to pick an illogical belief to believe in, I'd go Mormon.
    Good enough for me Carry on good sir.

I dunno man I mean picking between mormon, scientology and zombie jesus I mean is one better than the other is any single one more ridiculous and really does more time equal more credulity?

Mormons have Zombie Jesus though. So 2/3, we win

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    Mormons have Zombie Jesus though. So 2/3, we win
    Man you are really Mormon?

Why are you guys so nice? I met a bunch of folks in Newcastle, the poorest place in the UK but not that bad and there they are carrying on missionary status all the way just running around the place being nice everywhere - what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Man you are really Mormon?

Why are you guys so nice? I met a bunch of folks in Newcastle, the poorest place in the UK but not that bad and there they are carrying on missionary status all the way just running around the place being nice everywhere - what the hell?
    We have a lot of spare time on our hands or something like that.

It's always amusing, growing up, the whole ward would pitch in to help people move. So naturally every time I see someone moving in I'll go over and ask if they need help. I currently live in an area where lots of non-members and out-of-state people move in a lot, and some of the looks or outright hostility I get is certainly surprising lol. People seem to assume I'm going to rob them. Which I guess would be the logical thing to do...crap we are illogical

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Any literalist interpretation of any religion is pretty insane.
    Like believing in a literal global flood that covered the highest mountains 4000 years ago, or literally believing the world is on the back of an Elephant that's on a turtle, or those that believe Xenu literally poured frozen aliens into the volcanoes of Hawaii, or believing that native Americans are a lost tribe of Jews who were turned red for some sin and so on and on and on. These insanities afflict all religions. The only way to make any religion seem at least partially sane is the reject these literalist interpretations.
    Any Gnostic Christian like myself will agree that literalism is from Satan, so to speak.

Christianity ushered in the Dark Ages and the Inquisition due to literal reading of myths.

Regards
    DL

Oops.

Regards
    DL

This is a good analogy of how all religions begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jF1EG8o-Q

Regards
    DL

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/20...op-management/

Cult

DaniCatBurger's Avatar Centenarius

- The content had been deleted because the post was too funny to be displayed. -
    Last edited by DaniCatBurger; October 23, 2014 at 01:51 AM.
    שנאה היא לא ערך, גזענות היא לא הדרך