Thread: Rome Total War Anthology - Bug

Default Rome Total War Anthology - Bug

Hello,

I have the Anthology version of the game by SEGA and Creative Assembly. It includes Rome:Total War and the two expansions (Barbarian Invasion and Alexander).

I 've been playing the basic game, RTW (House of Scipii) and when I conquer the city of Rome it crashes (exits to desktop). The game is version 1.5 (and 1.6 for B.I.) which from what I've seen, is the latest patch. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the game but the problem persists. Any ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Lt.-Col. Dan's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Rome Total War Anthology - Bug

Did you make any changes to the text files?
    Do you have -show_err on your shortcut? If yes, it gives you any messages?
    Last edited by Lt.-Col. Dan; September 23, 2014 at 02:24 AM.

Hi,
    Thanks for your response.
    No, I haven't changed the text files, neither is there any error on the game shortcut.
    Is there a specific text file that should be checked?

Here's a link to a tutorial concerning command line switches, there you'll find about show_err but also about other stuff.

http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...ne/index.shtml

take your time studying it and then apply the show_err properly. Run RTW again and, if it crashes to desktop again, there should be a message saying what's wrong with your game. see what it says and post it. I hope. the, I'll be able to help you

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure it actually worked because the message I got eventually was this:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

R6025
    -pure virtual function call

Between the title of the dialogue box (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library) and the message (R6025 etc) was the path of the exe file which runs the game. I hope this gives a clue. Thanks for your time.

That's the message you got after you implemented showw_err?

Yes, and I suspect it's not coming from the game. I tried to get the switch to work a few times but it wasn't giving error messages. I double-checked syntax and it was ok. This message came after a crash where the game screen froze and I opened Task Manager to shut it down. Sounds a bit hopeless, doesn't it.. I've got Windows Vista by the way, if that explains anything..

Well, it doesn't... I have Vista too and my RTW Gold works... I have to admit that your problem is a little to much for me. I put the link to this thread on Romanian Fortress sub-forum and hopefully someone will have an answer. Good luck!

Thanks Lt-Col Dan

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by AnasKam View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure it actually worked because the message I got eventually was this:

R6025

Between the title of the dialogue box (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library) and the message (R6025 etc) was the path of the exe file which runs the game. I hope this gives a clue. Thanks for your time.
    Your issue might be because of graphic card, especially drivers I guess. The issues with old games was that it was build with mainstream specs in mind of that period. My guess anyway. Did the error or crash repeatable ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

neep's Avatar Tiro

R6025

It may be trickier than just updating graphics card drivers.
    The C++ Runtime Library is a Microsoft component that is usually installed as part of the original application (The Game) installation if it doesn't already exist.
    It provides low level routines for the code to run properly.
    If you look at your "Install/Delete Programs" control panel you might notice several versions of this that have already been installed in your machine. This would have occurred when installing several different applications, each of which might have required an update to this library.

You usually don't want to delete those since it can bork the original program that required them to be present - there's no obvious way to check which program is associated with each runtime library version.

Sounds like you may have a situation where these routines have been removed/moved elsewhere.
    I think the solution would be to install the appropriate runtime library - but I don't know the exact version that Total War used so..this is where it gets tricky.
    (Unfortunately, I'm not at my game PC so I can't check what I have installed. Perhaps a helpful person could do this and update with which Runtime libraries they have on their PC.)

A complete re-install (Egad !) might do the trick. That might trigger the re-installation of the C++ Runtime components.

Looking at the Microsoft pages related to this, I see several that suggest you can download various C++ Runtime Library packages.
    Assuming good programming practice, yada, yada then it should be possible to use the latest package and install that, and the older code should run fine.
    $5 says that this is not the case so you might need to try several different versions to see what works.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by neep View Post
    It may be trickier than just updating graphics card drivers.
    More like downgrading rather than upgrading. Or play with WinXP
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Thanks guys, these are interesting tips. I could try the C++ Libraries. I have noted that there is one Library dated 2005 (Redistributable) and then four 2008 Libraries (also Redistributable) and two 2010 Libraries (one Redistributable and one Express - ENU). I think it makes sense to guess that Rome's Library is the 2005 one. It's possible that Rome's Library was installed after the other Libraries (which are more recent). So, you're suggesting that by installing a later Library version the problem could be fixed?

neep's Avatar Tiro

Thanks guys, these are interesting tips. I could try the C++ Libraries. I have noted that there is one Library dated 2005 (Redistributable) and then four 2008 Libraries (also Redistributable) and two 2010 Libraries (one Redistributable and one Express - ENU). I think it makes sense to guess that Rome's Library is the 2005 one. It's possible that Rome's Library was installed after the other Libraries (which are more recent). So, you're suggesting that by installing a later Library version the problem could be fixed?
    Yup, that's what I would hope for.
    If not, then you'd have to start trying older libraries to get to the point where one of them works. However, that's a PITA since it's trial and error until you get it working