Thread: Install issues

Default Install issues

Hello all, hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I started with a clean install of rome and bi from my original discs that i bought 10 yrs ago or whatever. Patched to 1.6, launched game to check options to make sure it said 1.6 and that the game loaded properly. All good. Downloaded .rar install, followed instructions... unpacked and copied entire folder over to main rtw folder (i didnt overwrite, i just renamed my original bi folder), then made the shortcut, as instructed (I tried both the \ as written in the instructions bi\ci, and changed it to bi/ci, same error).

When i launch the game, i get the splash screen as i should, then a windows error ding and game crash, followed by a message "Script Error in bi/ci/data/settlement_plans/barbarian_large_city.txt, at line 6, column 14. File data/settlement_plans/underlays/../../../bi/data/settlement_plans/underlays/barbarian_large_city_underlay.CAS does not exist"

When i open the .txt file, line 6 is "floor ../../../bi/data/settlement_plans/underlays/barbarian_large_city_underlay.CAS ../../../bi/data/settlement_plans/overlays/barbarian_large_city_overlay.CAS"

My file structure is C:\Program Files (x86)\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\bi\ci\data\settlement_plans

The underlay and overlay CAS files are there, but it looks like it is looking for them in the wrong spot. The error message starts from settlement_plans/underlays, instead of just settlement_plans, and if we were to go up 3 levels from there we would be in the bi or the ci folder, neither of which have another bi folder in them. If it was looking from settlement_plans, then ../../../ci/data/settlement plans would be right, so i changed the bi to ci and it still didnt work.

I went and redownloaded the .rar and the .exe, tried the .rar, then ran the .exe, in both cases I got the same error message.

So I cant get it to work, what do?

Also i think this might be my first post on the forum, although i have lurked a very long time.

Default Re: Install issues

It might be x86 folder, I always install games that I use with a lot of mods in a different folder. Also running the mod installer as admin can help.

Do allow the rar's "bi" folder to overwrite the vanilla "bi" folder as per the instructions. It will not touch any vanilal files, it simply places a "ci" folder in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Do allow the rar's "bi" folder to overwrite the vanilla "bi" folder as per the instructions. It will not touch any vanilal files, it simply places a "ci" folder in there.
    Awesome, thanks this was it. I mod myself a lot and after a few mistakes I am OCD about backing up files before I change anything. I played a few turns so far, amazing mod. Thanks to everyone who put this together.

Just wait until DoM comes out...
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Hey I'm having trouble installing this on my mac, I tried moving the bi folder into BI folder and then putting the mod:bi/ci and that didn't work I also tried replacing it as well and that didn't work. Any help?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

​Don't replace folders on a mac! Ever! But especially not here because it will overwrite the contents of the existing folder, and mess up your vanilla game. You must extract the rar to another location and then copy the CI folder into the BI folder. After that using mod:bi/ci should work.

Thanks! It works, but when I try to play the campaign I click on the imperial faction and press the arrow button it says please select an item from the list.

Imperial campaign, and it works with custom battle as well as historical

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Did you remember to make a clean vanilla copy (and check that it works!) before installing the mod correctly?

Yes I did, I moved the vanilla ci onto my desktop out of the way, and put the mod ci in the folder in its place

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I don't understand exactly what you did but I suspect its not going to work. For one thing at no point should you be moving anything from inside the app to outside, for another there is no vanilla ci folder, ci is the mod folder. Do the following -
    Make a clean RTW/BI app and test it (start a Barbarian Invasion campaign and play a few turns.
    Extract FATW to your desktop
    You should have a BI folder on your desktop, inside it will be a CI folder.
    Copy this CI folder into the BI folder inside your RTW app
    Use the mod:bi/ci option to start the game.

This is what has worked for our other mac users, please follow it exactly and let me know how it goes.