Thread: Unit Sizes

ShogunVET's Avatar Foederatus

Default Unit Sizes

It's been a while since i looked into this mod.
    what are the unit sizes now for huge with the updates and patches?
    ...... they any bigger? =\

Default Re: Unit Sizes

Noone?

Quote Originally Posted by ShogunVET View Post
    Noone?
    Some of the infantry units are around 220 on huge.

how bout cavalry like winged hussars? how big are they? not 20 or 30 anymore right? or less than 80 when huge....

Cavalry are 80-100 per unit except for the generals' bodyguards.

Actually no.... cav units are still 40 max........ there was a thread I started which someone posted a link to a quick fix that increases unit size... where is it?

And what happened artillery is back to 2 guns per unit =|

Since patch 4, cavalry is 80-100 per unit on huge.

Artillery favours the human player against the AI, so numbers of cannons per unit have been reduced to the CA standard, except I think for one of the mortar units. The way artillery was before, you could fight battles with just artillery and some pikemen (or even just peasants) to hold the enemy back. It was unrealistic.

Ok.... my game doesnt works with the patches... I keep getting the konfiguration error... anyone know how to really fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    Since patch 4, cavalry is 80-100 per unit on huge.

Artillery favours the human player against the AI, so numbers of cannons per unit have been reduced to the CA standard, except I think for one of the mortar units. The way artillery was before, you could fight battles with just artillery and some pikemen (or even just peasants) to hold the enemy back. It was unrealistic.
    I notice that musketeer cause much more casualties on enemy. artillery reload a bit quite slow.

Also after a cannon hit, many soldiers can get up and keep moving like normal, and the unit does not lose much morale, making artillery less effective than they would be.
    Last edited by naq; September 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    I notice that musketeer cause much more casualties on enemy. artillery reload a bit quite slow.

Also after a cannon hit, many soldiers can get up and keep moving like normal, and the unit does not lose much morale, making artillery less effective than they would be.
    Do you mean musketeers can cause more damage than artillery? It is possible. The problem is balance. Since the AI cannot use artillery effectively, making it more damaging would shift the balance in favour of the human player. Also artillery stats are similar to that of other mods for this period. For example, similar to the For King and Country mod. Reload is probably faster than for the basic M2 bombards. In any case, this period was known as the pike and shot period of warfare rather than the artillery period of warfare. Players should be trying to use pike and shot tactics rather than try to get around them by throwing big bombs on the enemy. It would be silly and also not historical.

Yes, soldiers sometimes get up and walk after being hit by a cannon ball. Not all do, it depends on their defense stats. Most infantry units were given some extra defense to show that soldiers often fought covered behind breastworks, which is difficult to portray with M2 mechanics where everyone just walks around as if bullets had not yet been invented. In real battles at this period, musketeers often took cover in trenches or other breastworks and dragoons especially fought covered behind stone walls, trees, hedges and fences. When they happened to stand in neat little rows at the heat of the battle and a cannon shot hit them, none of those who would be hit would get up and march on. If a way can be found to induce the AI to dig trenches or put its units behind stone walls, then there will be room for lowering the units' defense stats.

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post

I solved that by editing EDU, you should try that out. Spent an entire afternoon balancing the entire game to my liking - despite all its qualities I really dislike most of the balancing decisions in 1648 TW. Made it so that cannons are far more powerful, cavalry isn't so useless, unarmoured musketeers don't have such high armor, etc.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

In some mods you can destroy entire AI stacks with just 3-4 of units of cavalry. You can even destroy an entire stack of spearmen with just a few cavalry units.

Making wins easy for the human player is easy enough. The challenging thing was how to make the AI capable of fighting against the human player and how to make battles of the pike and shot period battles of pike and shot.