Thread: The Great War for Mac

Default The Great War for Mac

I was wondering in the Great War Mod works on a Steam Mac installation of Napoleon Total War, or just on a Steam PC installation.

Thanks.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Great War for Mac

The actual mod files will work on a Mac installation. However we cannot provide any Mac install support as our launcher/installer is purely for PC.

With that said, what I assume is necessary would require a somewhat tech savvy person to install on Mac and someone with a bit of modding knowledge.

It would require downloading the mod files, taking the main .pack files of the mod and opening the app, finding the data folder and placing our mod files there, you then need to locate the preferences folder and place a user.script.txt into the scripts folder there.

Here's a video of someone installing a mod for ETW on Mac, it could be very similar, though I don't really know.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_4IpvrOy4

If you manage to figure it out, congratz, if not well I'm afraid I don't have a Mac.

Thanks for the info.

Hey
    I've tried this and can't get this to work fully. The mod will load, sort of, but the background is the same as the vanilla NTW, and so are the unit cards and the units themselves in battles. I've also tried loading a campaign but that crashed it, so i guess there's something wrong there too. Is the launcher.exe essential? Because I guess macs can't deal with that which might be bad.

Anything you know that could help? I understand you guys use pc but any help will be appreciated as i'm the least computery guy who's ever tried to get a mod installed

mramazingfuntime's Avatar Civis

I don't know either, but perhaps try - you've almost certainly already done this - to put literally everything to do with the mod in the corrosponding folders on Mac? I used to have one, and it was tricky to find folders, let alone the equivalent of AppData or anything.
    I guess just try to sort of... Overdo it?

Hi, I have installed and have running GTW on my MacBook Pro (I know this thread is a bit old) but this is how I did it.

1. Download GTW 5.1.4 from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-...e-great-war-51

2. Unzip GTW 5.1.4 to your desktop

Warning! its a good idea to backup your Napoleon Data folder to help save you from breaking the Vanilla Game.

3. Place the packs in step 4 in your Napoleon: Total War folder which is found by right clicking on your Napoleon App in your Applications Folder and then click on Show Package Contents then\Contents\Resources\Data\data
    (If you are unable to Show Package contents, on a your Mac you need to enable hidden folders by right clicking on your Application Folder, then click Show View Options and down the bottom you will see Show Library Folder tick the box.
    Now your User Library Folder will be seen when you double click your Home User directory, the little house icon)

For Steam Users place packs here C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\napoleon total war (I think)

4. These are the Packs:
    mod "_GreatWar5_Agents_Working.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Agents.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_AI.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Animations.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Battleterrain.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Campaign.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Rebels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_DB.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Models.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Textures.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Extras.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Formations.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Frontend.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Historic_Characters.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_LUA.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Mappack.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Sounds.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Video.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Rebels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_RigidModels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Text.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Effects.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Naval.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Traits.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Campaign.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Events.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flag_Tiles.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flags.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_LoadingScreens.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits_Extra.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Units.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Unit_Voices.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UnitModels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Atlas.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Equipment.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_UnitParts.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Units.pack";

Place this ww1_main in the campaigns folder

You can also paste the above into a user.script.txt and place in the scripts folder in AppData folder, which can be found in Users\your name\Library\Containers\com.feralinteractive.napoleontw\Library\Application Support\Feral Interactive\Napoleon Total War

If you don’t know how to make a user.script.txt file, then create a text file in Text Edit and save it as user.script.txt it will ask if you want to use .rtf or use both, click use both, then remove .rtf from the text edit file (it will ask you if you "Are sure you want to change the extension from .rtf to .txt”? Click use.txt

5. Start Napoleon Total War in the Launcher click on the Advanced Tab and click Advanced options and add these lines in the field:

mod "_GreatWar5_Agents_Working.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Agents.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_AI.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Animations.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Battleterrain.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Campaign.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Rebels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_DB.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Models.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Textures.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Extras.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Formations.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Frontend.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Historic_Characters.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_LUA.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Mappack.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Sounds.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Video.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Rebels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_RigidModels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Text.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Effects.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Naval.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Traits.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Campaign.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Events.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flag_Tiles.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flags.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_LoadingScreens.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits_Extra.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Units.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Unit_Voices.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UnitModels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Atlas.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Equipment.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_UnitParts.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Units.pack";

Then click Play.

Thats it.

Hope it works for you.

Regards

SWB
    Last edited by SWB; March 04, 2015 at 04:03 AM.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Awesome man + rep

The_Athenian's Avatar Civis

Awesome SWB, posted link to this post on the Mac Mod Guide, post 1 page 1

Hi,

does this work when using steam? Can't find the launcher of Napoleon total war or any other place to complete step 5.

Thanks!

NauDaModder's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeDB View Post
    Hi,

does this work when using steam? Can't find the launcher of Napoleon total war or any other place to complete step 5.

Thanks!
    Steam on PC? Or Mac?

PC instructions:
    Download TGW 5.0, and NTW Mod Manager, and the latest patch. (Submods optional)
    Now you want to:
    1) Locate Napoleon Total War, by right clicking on steam, go to open file location then go to steamapps. Then common. You will there find all of your steam games. Click on the Napoleon Total War folder. Open up data.
    2) Now, open your TGW folder. You want to empty out all those "Great War Packs" onto the data folder. Now add the Great War campaign pack on the campaign part of the folder.
    3) Once you install NTW Mod Manager, its a folder. Open it and go to the Napoleon Total War symbol that says Mod Manager. Open it and you should see a box that says Mod Manager 1.5 (NTW) There is a big Launch sign.
    4) Now click on the box that says Vanilla conflicts. That's all the Great War mod packs. It has a whole list of Great War packs, and check all of them. (They have small boxes next to them.) Don't mind the conflicts, that's just the mod.
    5) Now open the Patch folder, and copy all the contents into data. If it's campaign update, put it in the campaign folder. It would say that you have to replace the files, but that's good. If you have submods, this is the time where you can put them in.
    6) Now go back to Mod Manager and click Launch. It brings you Napoleon Total War, and then the Great War Mod begins. Hope that helps.

I got it to "work" on my mbp last night. There were a few bugs but The Kaiser's Armies celebrated Christmas 1914 while laying siege to Paris, but don't ask the French about the New Year's celebration.

Install was tricky but this was the most complex modding I have ever done (and was at least partially successful)
    -BUT-
    There are some (mostly annoying) bugs and a few (maybe lethal) crashes.
    -BUT-
    This Windows mod is still more stable on a mac than Feral's port of Shogun 2.

Currently reinstalling to troubleshoot those lethal crashes. will update.

hello thank you for the explanation I think not far to succeed , but there is a part that I do not understand!
    that of the script "

You can also paste the above into a user.script.txt and place in the scripts folder in AppData folder, which can be found in Users\your

name\Library\Containers\com.feralinteractive.napoleontw\Library\Application
    Support\Feral Interactive\Napoleon Total War

If you don’t know how to make a
    user.script.txt file, then create a text file in Text Edit and save it
    as user.script.txt it will ask if you want to use .rtf or use both,
    click use both, then remove .rtf from the text edit file (it will ask
    you if you "Are sure you want to change the extension from .rtf to
    .txt”? Click use.txt
    rtf or use both, click use both, Then remove from the text edit .rtf file (it will ask you if you " Are sour you want to change the extension from .txt to .rtf " ? Click use.txt "

what do I have to put in the script ?

Sincerely !

what do I have to put in user.script.txt file ?

Can you do a link for download your file of the mods please ?
    i don't understand i can't install the mod...
    Quote Originally Posted by SWB View Post
    Hi, I have installed and have running GTW on my MacBook Pro (I know this thread is a bit old) but this is how I did it.

1. Download GTW 5.1.4 from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-...e-great-war-51

2. Unzip GTW 5.1.4 to your desktop

Warning! its a good idea to backup your Napoleon Data folder to help save you from breaking the Vanilla Game.

3. Place the packs in step 4 in your Napoleon: Total War folder which is found by right clicking on your Napoleon App in your Applications Folder and then click on Show Package Contents then\Contents\Resources\Data\data
    (If you are unable to Show Package contents, on a your Mac you need to enable hidden folders by right clicking on your Application Folder, then click Show View Options and down the bottom you will see Show Library Folder tick the box.
    Now your User Library Folder will be seen when you double click your Home User directory, the little house icon)

For Steam Users place packs here C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\napoleon total war (I think)

4. These are the Packs:
    mod "_GreatWar5_Agents_Working.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Agents.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_AI.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Animations.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Battleterrain.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Campaign.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Rebels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_DB.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Models.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Textures.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Extras.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Formations.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Frontend.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Historic_Characters.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_LUA.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Mappack.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Sounds.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Video.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Rebels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_RigidModels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Text.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Effects.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Naval.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Traits.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Campaign.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Events.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flag_Tiles.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flags.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_LoadingScreens.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits_Extra.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Units.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_Unit_Voices.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_UnitModels.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Atlas.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Equipment.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_UnitParts.pack";
    mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Units.pack";

Place this ww1_main in the campaigns folder

You can also paste the above into a user.script.txt and place in the scripts folder in AppData folder, which can be found in Users\your name\Library\Containers\com.feralinteractive.napoleontw\Library\Application Support\Feral Interactive\Napoleon Total War

If you don’t know how to make a user.script.txt file, then create a text file in Text Edit and save it as user.script.txt it will ask if you want to use .rtf or use both, click use both, then remove .rtf from the text edit file (it will ask you if you "Are sure you want to change the extension from .rtf to .txt”? Click use.txt

5. Start Napoleon Total War in the Launcher click on the Advanced Tab and click Advanced options and add these lines in the field:

mod "_GreatWar5_Agents_Working.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Agents.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_AI.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Animations.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Battleterrain.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Campaign.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Rebels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_DB_Tech_Effects.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_DB.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Models.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_EngineModels_Textures.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Extras.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Formations.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Frontend.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Historic_Characters.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_LUA.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Mappack.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Sounds.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Media_Video.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Rebels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_RigidModels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Text.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Effects.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Textures_Naval.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Traits.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Campaign.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Events.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flag_Tiles.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Flags.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_LoadingScreens.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits_Extra.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Portraits.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UI_Units.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_Unit_Voices.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_UnitModels.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Atlas.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Equipment.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_UnitParts.pack"; mod "_GreatWar5_VariantModels_Units.pack";

Then click Play.

Thats it.

Hope it works for you.

Regards

SWB

NauDaModder's Avatar Civis

It's right there man.

"Amy Pond, there is one thing you'd better understand about me, 'cause its important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box."

I've got it to work almost perfectly but it crashes when I want to play as the UK or Germany, Austria, almost every important faction in grand campaign.

Which installer, the NTW MM or another?

If it's MM how does one install it?

Quote Originally Posted by gchapman2810 View Post
    Hey
    I've tried this and can't get this to work fully. The mod will load, sort of, but the background is the same as the vanilla NTW, and so are the unit cards and the units themselves in battles. I've also tried loading a campaign but that crashed it, so i guess there's something wrong there too. Is the launcher.exe essential? Because I guess macs can't deal with that which might be bad.

Anything you know that could help? I understand you guys use pc but any help will be appreciated as i'm the least computery guy who's ever tried to get a mod installed
    Did you figure this out? I know this comment is like three years old but I am trying this now.