Thread: Thinking about buyin rome 2 total war/question about battle speed

Icon5 Thinking about buyin rome 2 total war/question about battle speed

Hello,

As stated in the title, I am thinking about buying rome 2 total war.

I've been playing TW since medieval 2. What always held me back from buying r2tw is the battle speed and kill rate.
    Battles seemed to last only a couple of minutes in the let's play videos on youtube.

Has this improved after patches/in the emperor edition? Or do I have to rely on mods to lower the battle speed and kill rate?

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Thinking about buyin rome 2 total war/question about battle speed

If the battle speed is only your concern. Then just simply buy the game. Battles lasts much longer than the previous patches now, if your still not satisfied with it download a few mods that prolongs battles.

PonySlaystation's Avatar Tiro

its much better since the EE came out. no units (except maybe plebs) are routing after 10s like they did before. even low and midtier units have some staying power now (f.e.: i played a MPC yesterday with a friend and my low-tier vigiles could hold the ground against his veteran legionaires for like 1-2 minutes...they still lost ofc but i had plenty of time to manouver my cav, skirmishers and flanking units to break his high quality core).

i have played 99% of the time with overhaul-mods (DeI + Radious) because of that until EE came out. now i saw myself playing the first time without any mods activated. campaign is playable and battles are (at least for me) enjoyable now.

still i dont like the vanilla unit variety but there are plenty excellent mods out there which you could use if you want to enhance the unit rosters.
    Last edited by PonySlaystation; September 19, 2014 at 02:37 AM.
    Ferrum Noricum

TEAM SKAVEN
    TEAM DARK ELVES
    TEAM TOMB KINGS

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

With some basic mods I find my typical siege battle 20+ min, field battles are a bit shorter but still ya it's well balanced.

Thanks! That was what I was looking for

Wait for steam xmas sales..?

Just get DEI dude, battles never end there.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Well, when it's xmas I'll be playing far cry 4 and maybe something else. October just seems a nice month to play some total war. I know some good (legal) keysites, so I won't pay full price anyway

Thanks for the advice DeliCious, will look into that mod

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeHarry View Post
    Hello,

I've been playing TW since medieval 2. What always held me back from buying r2tw is the battle speed and kill rate.
    Battles seemed to last only a couple of minutes in the let's play videos on youtube.

Has this improved after patches/in the emperor edition? Or do I have to rely on mods to lower the battle speed and kill rate?
    Good call - You will love the period, the variety and the improvement to AI

tbh vastly improved compared to Med 2

Battle speed are fine by me now - I had some sieges 30 min and most battles 15 minutes

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Is it the shortness of battles you dislike or the speed of units while in battle? Because units still move very rapidly and there is a not-so-cool-or fun-reason for it.

Rome II battles even pre-15 were slower than vanilla Rome 1 or vanilla Shogun 2 battles (as some of us conveniently forget). Battles are even slower now. With mods the battle speed is even slower than that.

If battle speed is your main concern, then I am sure that you will love it.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeHarry View Post
    Hello,

I've been playing TW since medieval 2.
    Since Medieval 2? Jeez you have missed 3 of my 4 favourite Total wars :S

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Is it the shortness of battles you dislike or the speed of units while in battle? Because units still move very rapidly and there is a not-so-cool-or fun-reason for it.
    Well, both. But the unit speed doesn't bother me as much as the shortness of the battle (or kill rate). For me, empire had this right (the battle speed and kill rate that is). Napoleon had the units move a bit faster IIRC, which was fine but took some of the immersion out. Empire took the immersion out of battles as well, for different reasons. But let's not get into that shall we

Quote Originally Posted by EinScrub View Post
    Rome II battles even pre-15 were slower than vanilla Rome 1 or vanilla Shogun 2 battles (as some of us conveniently forget). Battles are even slower now. With mods the battle speed is even slower than that.
    Yep, I know, Thats the reason I never really got into FOTS. Which is a shame, because the time period is exactly my kinda thing. I never really played rome 1. I was 16 when it was released, so old enough. Just never got around to it.