Thread: Disenchanted with CA

Default Disenchanted with CA

I am a long time table-top miniatures gamer. Started PC games in the 90s with Talonsoft "Battleground" series. I have been a TW player since Shogun was first released. I have grown increasingly disenchanted with the franchise since Empire. Rome 2 has just about broken the camel's back. So I am looking for something better.

I have EU III and would not mind trying another Paradox Game, just not another EU. I enjoy both strategic campaign and tactical combat. Any suggestions for a Paradox game not EU?

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Disenchanted with CA

If you like tactical combat, I would suggest HOI 2 (3, gets decent after the For The Motherland expansion but gives you the urge to go back to 2) or Crusader Kings 2 (More EU orientated with huge Role-playing features). If you're feeling lucky, you could try out Victoria 2, but this has more focus on the strategy aspect of your game (V2 has combat but not as deep as HOI or CK2). If you don't mind the graphics, I would suggest HOI 2 or if you do, HOI 3.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Darkest Hour. It's HOI 2, but it has been updated a bit.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

I was in the same boat. I'd been playing since Shogun and Empire was unimaginably bad. I picked up EU3 and haven't even touched TW since.

Regarding Paradox games, I know you said anything that isn't EU, but EU4 is miles more accessible than its predecessor. Just mentioning it so it isn't discounted. That said, if you really want something different, pick up Crusader Kings 2. I wouldn't recommend Victoria for a new player, and I don't play Hearts of Iron so I can't pass judgement on it.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Thank you guys. I appreciate your input.