Thread: Third Age 3.2 help against Sauron

Default Third Age 3.2 help against Sauron

Hi,
    Im playing as the silvan elves and im holding the Black Gates and im being attacked by Sauron with a full stack of orcs, uruks and 2 units of olog hai. I have a full stack of 9 general units and elite infantry, no siege weapons. The AI is stupid and just marches its army next to the gate and stands there (im playing on VH/VH) i can kill everyone but Sauron before i run out of arrows, but then my entire army dies fighting him, if i use all of my archers on sauron directly he doesnt even seem to notice and i still lose fighting him.
    I have balista towers and no battle time limit. Can anyone give me any tips?

Default Re: Third Age 3.2 help against Sauron

There isn't much you can do apart from have all your army fight him but only use 1 unit at a time and hopefully you can kill it. Ideally you want catapult/ballista to deal with Sauron.

1 most important rule - never play with no battle time limit
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Try to keep the big guy busy in melee fighting and constantly charge and retreat with the units that have the best charge bonus. It's been ages since I played vanilla TATW but IIRC the Silvans have no cavalry generals. That makes the charge tactic a bit less effective but it is still worthwhile trying. Especially if you have some armor piercing units among your infantry.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Your question has been answered in the firs two posts:

1. No Battle Time Limit

2. Ballista. Ballista, ballista, ballista!

To Add

3. Swarm him with Spearmen, as I'm almost positive he is a Heavy Cavalry unit!

So in essence, make sure you don't have a time limit. If you do, its going to be tough to win. While pelting him with ballista shots, make sure he is swarmed by spearmen, like at least 5 units worth (keep your ballistae protected with some decent units just in case). The spearmen will get a bonus against him and pin him down somewhat so he is an easier target

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

With no battle time limit he might survive the battle. And if he doesn't then you miss that epic moment of seeing him fall.

For the record he's an elephant.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    1 most important rule - never play with no battle time limit

I disagree, always play with no battle time limit. Soldiers usually did not go home after a certain time of fighting, only as darkness fell.

And he cannot change that anyway now without starting his campaign over.

As for Sauron, as Withwnar says, he is an elephant.

My advice to you now is pull back and get some Ballistae, accept a setback now and then, hard as it may be.

Yes but sometimes the battles are bugged and you cant do anything about and you are stuck... So for me, I will always play with battle limits, its not like its too short or something, but it does make sure your battle will eventually end sometime when you dont need to sacrifice yourself because of stupid AI
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    And he cannot change that anyway now without starting his campaign over.
    You can change it at any time on the campaign map. I prefer to have timelimit on(stuck unkillable buggy units have wasted enough of my time) but for large siege assaults I always turn it off so I can take my time and use up all my ammo

Before you enter this or any battle in your campaign, press ESC on your keyboard, and in Options you can turn on/off Battle Time limit.

For me, battle time limit is useful when you play against an AI, when you play against some other human then you should not need it. Humans usually are smarter than AI.. ?
    Last edited by ElvenKind; September 19, 2014 at 03:19 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.