Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISIS: Math, social studies, and lessons on non-authoritarian forms of governance banned

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Default ISIS: Math, social studies, and lessons on non-authoritarian forms of governance banned

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/17/world/...sis/index.html

In swaths of Syria now controlled by ISIS, children can no longer study math or social studies. Sports are out of the question. And students will be banned from learning about elections and democracy.Instead, they'll be subjected to the teachings of the radical Islamist group. And any teacher who dares to break the rules "will be punished."
    ISIS revealed its new educational demands in fliers posted on billboards and on street poles. The Sunni militant group has captured a slew of Syrian and Iraqi cities in recent months as it tries to establish a caliphate, or Islamic state, spanning Sunni parts of both countries.

In the letter, ISIS said alternative courses will be added.

Educators cannot teach nationalistic and ethnic ideology and must instead teach "the belonging to Islam ... and to denounce infidelity and infidels."

Books cannot include any reference to evolution. And teachers must say that the laws of physics and chemistry "are due to Allah's rules and laws."

The letter ends with a firm warning:

"This is an obligatory announcement, and all violators will be punished."
    Yeah, that's right. If Allah wanted Muslims to know math, he would have blessed them with the understandings of Algebr-.... oh.

Well, at least they don't have to learn about astrolabes, which totally weren't pioneered by Musli-...... oh.

Fine, fine. At least they won't have to learn about algorithms, which were clearly invented first in the western worl-..... oh.

How will ISIS count how many bullets they have and how much money they make each day, if they won't even teach math?
    Last edited by Thanatos; September 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: ISIS: Math, social studies, and lessons on non-authoritarian forms of governance banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    How will ISIS count how many bullets they have and how much money they make each day, if they won't even teach math?
    Through experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Default Re: ISIS: Math, social studies, and lessons on non-authoritarian forms of governance banned

nothing shocking, it is easy to rule over the stupid and the uneducated...

In swaths of Syria now controlled by ISIS, children can no longer study math or social studies. Sports are out of the question. And students will be banned from learning about elections and democracy.

So the future recruits of ISIS are going to be fat children that can't count and don't care or know anything about Democracy. I thought they hated the Western World?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Oh ISIS, you can be so hilarious at times....

I have an exclusive photo of ISIS-citizens in the future

And the best academy of the great caliphate
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Best course of action is then to leave ISIS in peace. In about 10 to 15 years, we'll just be fighting a bunch of village idiots
    Last edited by Akhenaton; September 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

This is why these middle age idiots won't even get to rule over other muslims. This isn't the 1500s. Every moderate muslim state should be stomping these idiots down, hard...

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I can understand banning the other things, but banning maths just seems weird. I know this is IS we're talking about, but I cannot think of a scenario where knowledge of maths would undermine what they're trying to achieve. The article mentions referring to the laws of physics as Allah's fundamental laws, so perhaps it's just a spin on that, as I can't imagine an outright ban on all mathematics would be of any benefit.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Portuguese Rebel View Post
    This is why these middle age idiots won't even get to rule over other muslims. This isn't the 1500s. Every moderate muslim state should be stomping these idiots down, hard...
    Back then, the Muslim Golden Age wasn't so far away, and the jihadists were probably more pro-learning than today

About the math seems impratical and unpragmatic, except perhaps lying on the body counts.
    Last edited by fkizz; September 17, 2014 at 01:42 PM.

This, to me, just goes to show that Islamofascism is a valid term of description for groups like these.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

You either need to know is how to cook, or strip and use a Kalashnikov.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    You either need to know is how to cook, or strip and use a Kalashnikov.
    And how will they know how to field strip and repair a Kalashnikov if they cannot even count how many working parts are inside? How will they purchase the right sized 7.62 if they cannot even do simple addition? Who will tell them that a 7.62x54r is bigger than a 7.62x39?

Nobody ever taught them maths!

So basically they are using US experience in dumbing down education. How progressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    How progressive!
    Progress depends upon one's goals. Considering an aspect of the movement is a reaction to modernity and Western influence, progress for them is moving closer to reclaiming an idealized past, not the actual past I'd say, but the past how they've imagined it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Progress depends upon one's goals. Considering an aspect of the movement is a reaction to modernity and Western influence, progress for them is moving closer to reclaiming an idealized past, not the actual past I'd say, but the past how they've imagined it.
    Not really, both aim at having a dumb submissive population incapable of critical thinking, ideology here doesn't play any significant difference.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/17/world/...sis/index.html

Yeah, that's right. If Allah wanted Muslims to know math, he would have blessed them with the understandings of Algebr-.... oh.

Well, at least they don't have to learn about astrolabes, which totally weren't pioneered by Musli-...... oh.

Fine, fine. At least they won't have to learn about algorithms, which were clearly invented first in the western worl-..... oh.

Your post had me in stitches; +1 rep to you, sir.

I believe it was Napoleon Bonaparte who once said: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Clearly, we should be encouraging ISIS to drop all mathematics courses.

Social studies I can see, but math? Really? It's all technical. What...are they such desert hillbillies that they think mathematics is magic of the devil, or something? I thought ISIS was supposed to be all tech savvy and ruling Twitter and Facebook with their online social media revolution. This just makes them look dumb...like with buck teeth, a non-acoholic Budweiser in one hand, and a Quran in the other.

Well, if they're churning out dumb people as their supporters and subjects, I can only sit back and applaud their stupidity at holding themselves back. To them I say bravo, and carry on with that!

So basically they are using US experience in dumbing down education. How progressive!
    One of the laziest and most laughable comparisons I've ever seen.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    One of the laziest and most laughable comparisons I've ever seen.
    How? American education has been dumbed down since 1980s. Just compare the curriculum from 1960s to modern one.

How? American education has been dumbed down since 1980s. Just compare the curriculum from 1960s to modern one.
    IS isn't "dumbing down". It's completely removing core subjects of any curriculum.

And I would love you to give me a source that compares the two, or even lists what was on the 1960s curriculum. A cursory Googling reveals one article lauding how far the science curriculum has come since 1960 - http://www.nas.edu/rise/backg3a.htm

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If you haven't clued in by now, he's just trolling. Best to put him on the ignore list.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast