Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheistic Churches look for new non believer members..

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Atheistic Churches look for new non believer members..

It`s sheer stupidity.

This kind of wordplay must not be allowed, atheism is not a religion and atheist gatherings are not churches.

A church or any "holy" place is built to honour a god(s) and/or as a special place to worship said god(s).

Atheists don`t believe in god(s) thus any building they gather into can`t be called a church.

Do they get tax exemption? If they don't they are not a real church, at least where I come from you wouldn't even be a proper religion...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Even a rights/morality talk. In Buddhism all of that stuff exists independent of God or some form of objective authority figure. It is seemingly something some people require or desire and if it happens that Christianity or Islam isn't their bag then they seek it out or create it elsewhere. And it is of course obvious that people like identities and groups or collectives to create a sense of belonging so the idea that they want to create a unique identity is not unusual either.

I don't know whether there is any truth to it but the mass urbanisation, the demographic shifts and the cultural changes (where church was the center, now its the TV and Facebook) that have led to us not having a solid small community is supposedly deleterious to our psychological health.

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Do they get tax exemption? If they don't they are not a real church, at least where I come from you wouldn't even be a proper religion...
    Tax exemption you say...well then, I guess we could discuss it.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    A church or any "holy" place is built to honour a god(s) and/or as a special place to worship said god(s).
    That isn't exactly true. From a western perspective, it seems or appears to be the de facto reality, but that is because of religious history here, it is not the reality of all religions. Buddhism is the biggest exception, but of course there must be other religions that don't necessitate deities in it's doctrines. "Holy" places can be irrelevant to Gods.

But, still, in this case it does not appear to be a religion in any way other than superficial similarities, in much the same way as a hypothetical club dedicated to non-golf players may have superficial similarities to a club for golf players.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

But I do understand the need people have for some kinda meeting place/social occasion.
    Personally i don't... What would i have in common with those people? Will i get together with them sharing the non belief in something? Basically getting together because of a position of not believing in a deity? Heck no. The question is not important enough for me to get together with someone. The existence of god isn't a core aspect of my life. When i said those places were speed dating spots i meant it. That's what they are in reality. Guys and girls trying to spot suitable partners to avoid having to deal with religious partners that can mess up your life.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Portuguese Rebel View Post
    Personally i don't... What would i have in common with those people? Will i get together with them sharing the non belief in something? Basically getting together because of a position of not believing in a deity? Heck no. The question is not important enough for me to get together with someone. The existence of god isn't a core aspect of my life. When i said those places were speed dating spots i meant it. That's what they are in reality. Guys and girls trying to spot suitable partners to avoid having to deal with religious partners that can mess up your life.
    Different strokes.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Meh, I don't attend any troll attempts of making atheism into a religion, which it isn't and never will be, I get my sense of community from my rowing club and I get my need for social gatherings fulfilled from hanging out with friends, family, rowing mates or parties at my rowing club. I don't need some ridiculous attempt of making a church based on no set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature and purpose of the universe, no (objective) moral code, no specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices agreed upon by its adherents and no practice of religious beliefs like relying on faith. All of these things, of course, need to be present to declare something a religion. A sport would make a better case of being considered a religion than any atheistic "church".

They're getting their 10 virtues aswell.
    All he did was do a logical observation of, what makes a society function. He doesn't claim that resilience, empathy, patience, sacrifice, politeness, humour, self-awareness, forgiveness, hope and confidence have something objectively correct about them, more that, in his subjective opinion, these virtues enrich the members of a society to strive for a common cause rather than work against each other.
    Last edited by Aeneas Veneratio; September 17, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Friendships come from shared experiences, even if that experience is just hanging out for a Sunday Atheist BBQ and sing along. The issue would be just being there to enjoy the experience, rather then being there to prove a point.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

I tried to start an Nihilistic church once. After arranging the first gathering and sermon no one attended. I found whilst they accepted the principle of the idea they didn't accept the existence of the church.

E-harmony had matched a couple of Solipsists and had to issue a refund. Whilst the match was a success they successfully pointed out that E-harmony said that they would match them with another person. It was argued that since the other half was merely a reflection of their own persona and not a new individual mind that E-harmony failed in its promise.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Our Lady of the Implausible Nothingness

My Atheist Church is going to be Catholic.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

There's power in community. One of the reasons religions are so powerful is that they have an entire organization to sway their stuff with. If Atheists don't organize, then where's the counter? If religions can have all the benefits of a church because they believe something, why can't atheists? It's not a religion. Yet the benefits of being considered one? Apparently many.

You have a problem, it strikes a coord that there's an Atheist "church"? Well, take away all the benefits of "real" churches. Start taxing and stop making special considerations to people's rights just because you believe there's a guy upstairs.

If atheists can't be treated special for their beliefs, why the should others?
    Last edited by Sir Winston Churchill; September 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If Atheists don't organize, then where's the counter?
    All the non-religious/secular organizations that people can join no matter their belief?
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas Veneratio View Post
    All the non-religious/secular organizations that people can join no matter their belief?
    And which of those would stand up for your rights as an atheist to be atheist?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Associate to defend rights doesn't require a mockery of religion in itself. We could do well without that.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Associate to defend rights doesn't require a mockery of religion in itself. We could do well without that.
    Forming a group of like-minded atheists is a mockery of religion?

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Come now, how can mocking affect those who know the TRUTH, they should laugh at us for denying god.

We atheists have taken crap a long time from the believers, truly they earned it.

My shameful truth.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Just because we want to have cool costumes, relics, and arcane rituals doesn't mean we're mocking religion.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

OP, do you get the joke behind the event? Do you think a bunch of comedians doing a massive joke represent atheists worldwide? Seriously?
    At least our representatives are voluntarily funny.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    So it seems that despite people insisting that atheism is not a religi
    Oops. Lack of interest in this argument wins again.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin