Thread: Master Source Documents

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Master Source Documents

The below is subject to a large revision as soon as I've taken a closer look at the game's files. I also need to discuss a few things with the project members before making any decisions. For now, following the instructions at the bottom of this post should be enough to keep you busy.

This thread will hold the Master Source Documents (MSDs), which will be in a .txt format, and in which all speech samples will be listed as follows:

IDX / Folder

Sample / Usage / Content
    Sample / Usage / Content
    Sample / Usage / Content

IDX: The IDX file in which the sample is located
    Folder: The folder in said IDX file in which the sample is located
    Sample: The name of the sample
    Usage: The event during which this sample is used in the game.
    Content: Exactly what's being said in the sample

The exact way to create the Master Source Documents will be described as soon as the game has been released and I, or someone else, has found a good way of doing it. For now, read the instructions at the bottom of this post. The documents will also list things in categories, i.d. Pre-Battle Speech, Unit names etc. Ideally, there'll be more than one person working on each thread. There will likely be one Master Source Document for each language/faction. These documents will then be used for translation. The Translation Master Documents (TMDs) will be available in their respective langauge threads, and will have the following format:

IDX / Folder

Sample / Usage / Content / Translation

Please make sure that your faction's Master Document is complete before you start with translation. Thanks![/I]

Similarily, we will need documents for doing the medieval versions of the mods. How about we call those MTMDs (for Medieval Translation Master Documents) and give them this format:

IDX / Folder

Sample / Usage / Content / Translation / Medieval Translation

I will keep the Master Source Documents available in this first post, and any additions and corrections can be posted below.

This entire post and the guidelines in it are subject to change.
    How to create the master source documents:

First, download Vercingetorix' idx tool . Extract the contents of the zip into your M2TW\data\sounds folder. Now run "extract sounds.bat". If you don't want to extract the in game music or the sfx (we won't need them for the project anyway), remove the words "sfx" and "music" from the "extract sounds.bat" file by editing it in notepad. So far, I've only tried this on the demo, and in the case with the demo, we in fact only need the extract the contents of voice1. Since I don't have the full version yet, I don't know how things are done in it.

You will now have created a new folder called "data". Explore it and see for yourself.
    Last edited by Beiss; November 07, 2006 at 07:48 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Master Source Documents

This seems a very inteligent system

I hope so We'll see if it works.

Anyway, I've noticed the release date for M2TW has been postponed. This is bad news. Meanwhile, I'll try and see if I can access the demo sound packs instead.

EDIT: The release date has been pushed back again. Yipee!
    Last edited by Beiss; November 06, 2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Ill get mine on the 10th probably, Ill look into what campaign voices there are.

From now on, please refer to the website regarding MSD's.