Thread: I forgot how much fun this game is.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Default I forgot how much fun this game is.

Waiting for EE to come out, I thought I would do an ETW campaign. To do this, I updated darthmod and launched a campaign as one of my favorite factions, France.

As I was playing, I really really forgot how ETW is a superior game economically to all other Total Wars in there being not only tax income, but region wealth, town wealth, and tax rates. (buildings). I also forgot resource yields; although, something in M2TW and RTW, it is more comprehensive in ETW. I also forgot just how amazing technology in this game is. Instead of the military tech tree being the whole 'disbanding my units every other technology I research to replace them with the new ones I unlocked', I really forgot how fun it is in that each tech doesn't make me replace line infantry, but it upgrades line infantry and makes them stronger.

Now onto the negatives. Yeah, I still hear people complaining about how bad the BAI is, but I forgot just how bad. Even with darthmod, the BAI completely ruined my game.

Since I hadn't played a serious campaign in over a year, I thought normal would suffice, but unfortunately, after I took out GB in 15 turns, I guessed it wasn't. I have 1,700 hours in this game (proof here and here) so I better be ing good at it. I would continue since I'm so close to my victory objectives, but I really don't feel like battling the Mughals 3 vs. 3 stacks.

Default Re: I forgot how much fun this game is.

same here, i'm so impressed with campaign, but battles are so rotten so i suggest auto-resolve for any western faction,
    with tuned AR setting. (this elevates the financial difficulty, since you now need more & better to win)

It would be rather easy and more historical to introduce a rubber-band effect,
    by only have recruitable units in home regions, instead of global, and only auxiliaries recruitable abroad,
    perhaps if possible unlock standard recruits after holding a region for a minimum of 30+ years,
    or unlock recruitment in conquered regions through highest army building only
    Last edited by poa; September 16, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

lawandorder82's Avatar Ducenarius

Ee is so much better that it made rome 2 total war funner.
    Albundy for president 2019 my lets play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9iZV...azsoGel3_b_7rA

Quote Originally Posted by poa View Post
    It would be rather easy and more historical to introduce a rubber-band effect,
    by only have recruitable units in home regions, instead of global, and only auxiliaries recruitable abroad,
    perhaps if possible unlock standard recruits after holding a region for a minimum of 30+ years,
    or unlock recruitment in conquered regions through highest army building only
    Empire more or less has this already. Native African units, Sepoys, etc., but it could have been enforced more. Not to mention colonial line infantry is different from regular line infantry in that colonial isn't resistant to morale shocks. Furthermore, the Mughals can't recruit some of their units outside of India, Ottomans can't recruit Israelies outside of their home region, and region specific units such as Hungarian grenadiers. When comparing it to other Total Wars in terms of the campaign, ETW is superior to them all in the terms of the campaign, but its brain-dead AI holds back its although not superb, but decent battles.

i already went down the AR route, and use dragoons exclusively once unlocked, later light dragoons,
    these are recruitable in any region with barrack.
    I do play manually with eastern factions cause they do so poorly on AR, but it gets old after a while.
    I dont recruit israelies, ever
    I made Hungary grenadiers & grenzers recruitable in Austria home regions so i can use standard government building in Hungary.
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Speaking of that, I still don't understand why I cannot recruit, for example, Cossacks when I'm a republican Russia. I understand if the unit has a history of protecting the monarch, but some of them I don't understand.

jazza's Avatar Libertus

Imperial Destroyer project mod made me play this game again and the mod makes this game so much better

i just can second what jazza said, Imperial Destroyer project is extremely good, and has pretty good BAI.

its important for the BAI that u dont have too big unit size. If u play Darthmod and have 300+ men per units, its fun to watch but the AI cant form lines effectively with it.
    try unsing a gampaign_unit_modifier of 1.1 (abit more than ultra). BAI in Imperial Desrtoyer mod becomes pretty good.

And yeah, Empire is such a great game ! It mas more economc depth than any other TW game by far (rome2 lol)

What is EE? European Escalation?

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by The Useless Member View Post
    Waiting for EE to come out, I thought I would do an ETW campaign. To do this, I updated darthmod and launched a campaign as one of my favorite factions, France.

As I was playing, I really really forgot how ETW is a superior game economically to all other Total Wars in there being not only tax income, but region wealth, town wealth, and tax rates. (buildings). I also forgot resource yields; although, something in M2TW and RTW, it is more comprehensive in ETW. I also forgot just how amazing technology in this game is. Instead of the military tech tree being the whole 'disbanding my units every other technology I research to replace them with the new ones I unlocked', I really forgot how fun it is in that each tech doesn't make me replace line infantry, but it upgrades line infantry and makes them stronger.

Now onto the negatives. Yeah, I still hear people complaining about how bad the BAI is, but I forgot just how bad. Even with darthmod, the BAI completely ruined my game.

So yeah, the battle A1 has a few problems but who cares...Im having fun.
    Since I hadn't played a serious campaign in over a year, I thought normal would suffice, but unfortunately, after I took out GB in 15 turns, I guessed it wasn't. I have 1,700 hours in this game (proof here and here) so I better be ing good at it. I would continue since I'm so close to my victory objectives, but I really don't feel like battling the Mughals 3 vs. 3 stacks.
    I'm with you on this. I did exactly the same thing...fired ETW up whilst waiting for Emporer edition to come out and now I'm preferring playing this. Im only using some graphical mods, so its basically vanilla Im playing as France and I'm loving it. Im struggling hard against Britain and suffering more or less the same problems that France did historically, spread too thin on too many fronts and unable to make real money because Britains navy is keeping me off of the trade routes. In fact I can actually see why France neglected to support its American war effort during the seven wars war and concentrated on Europe instead! What a game...
    Last edited by Baldwin of Jerusalem; September 18, 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Yeah. In the early stages of my game, I didn't really care about my colonies. I only had about one stack defending it whilst having a few regiments clear out the pirate islands. I was more focused on killing GB in Europe. Once I did, USA spawned with all of their regions. (except for Georgia) Luckily, I was able to take them out while weak and once I did, colonies became piles of money.